Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times

Advertisements

I don't know where else to go with this news, so I have come here. I am so elated right now, I hope I make sense as I write these words.

I have been caring for a feral kitten, approximately 11 mos. to 1 year old now. He came to me when he was a shrunken skeleton, frozen, and so far beyond the starvation point, I don't know how he lived. This happened in December of last year, as some of you will remember.

He gained weight rapidly and then he just seemed to stop. This young male cat is l-o-n-g and his body tells me his ideal weight is about 13 to maybe 14 pounds. He will not go beyond 11.6-11.8 lbs. Some of you will say that is a good weight, yet you don't have the eyes I do. He is so thin, too thin, and not gaining weight. He will only eat just so much, then no more.

I have noticed he has gone inward, withdrawn to a place I just couldn't reach. His eyes told me something major was happening, and he seemed to be slipping away. I was helpless as I watched this unfolding, and the agony I experienced was intense. It was as though his spirit was disappearing, and he was just going to a place I was not ready to.

This morning, he began talking to me again, like he used to. "Something" told me to scoop him up out of his nest and bring him to the window to look out. I snuggled him so close, and OH, he is so thin. Why, why won't you eat, little guy?? Why?

I put him back in his nest, and he walked over to where I normally put his food dish, and he licked his chops. I just finished giving him a full helping of raw food, and he is asking for more???? Elation! I ran down to get more raw, and I prayed that he would eat! Oh, Whispers, I said to myself, please choose to live. Please choose to eat.

And he did. Oh, God! He ate! He ate again! Two large helpings! And his eyes do not have that "ghost" in them, but they are clear and true! I don't know what happened, I don't understand, but this morning, the EXACT same morning something huge changed with me giving me freedom in my life, my Whispers decided to live! You guys just don't know what I am feeling right now. I am just balling my eyes out!

Thoughts have been in my mind that I am just going to have to love this little one for as long as he chooses to be here, and I "knew" that wasn't going to be long. My heart was crushed. You can't force someone to live. You just can't do that for them. They have to do it for themselves! Oh for the JOY knowing that Whispers made up his mind to be a part of this family, and to live a LONG and healthy life! Oh my God, how do I put into words something to this huge extent? LIFE! My Whispers choose LIFE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
GREAT news!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
Hope things continue to go well.

(A bit off topic but want to add for those who might not have tried it,
(Last time our Cat wasn't liking her food, and she was getting too thin,,and we were running out of options(she is 18 and has had bout everything on the shelves lol) we tried the Whiskas wet food in pouches, she has been loving them and her weight came right back...whew... knock ***on wood)
Course it's different for every animal.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post

(A bit off topic but want to add for those who might not have tried it,
(Last time our Cat wasn't liking her food, and she was getting too thin,,and we were running out of options(she is 18 and has had bout everything on the shelves lol) we tried the Whiskas wet food in pouches, she has been loving them and her weight came right back...whew... knock ***on wood)
Course it's different for every animal.
No, no, Summerz! This information is not off topic! Thank you. I am willing to try other options to encourage him to eat more. And your post reminded me that I have some organic kitty snacks which I am going to give him right now. And darn it, getting so busy in other things, I haven't been giving him cat nip as I was. (sigh) When a person, as in ONE, is taking care of 15 felines, making sure they stay healthy, helping those who are showing symptoms of the dis-ease I am in the process of healing......whew! that ONE person gets pulled this way and that! Summerz, you have given me TWO ideas to try and I thank you so much!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
My Cat just said .....the Catnip is a great idea.

Just lots of trial and error to see what works.
Best of luck to you.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:13 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I am just balling my eyes out!
Now I am too! I hope Whispers continues to do well!!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:14 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
That's great news about Whispers! When my cats won't eat for one reason or another I give them all meat baby food and they lap it right up.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Not eating is the worst sign. Glad Whispers is in such good hands.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:36 PM

151 posts, read 326,308 times
I am wiping my eyes - OH JOY! I am so glad to read you kitty is eating!
I have one who cries for (of all things) chicken broth (room temp) when she does not feel well.
Funny, aren't they.
Good work on this one.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Hey Garden
Whispers doesn't sound healthy. I know that he is a feral but is there anyway that you can get him to the vet (or, perhaps, schedule a house call?) Honestly, it sounds as if he has parasites of some kind. Are you deworming him regularly?
I really don't think that choice is the issue here. There is something very wrong with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats