Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Does anybody have a cat that is declawed and goes outside? My vet said that it wouldn`t be a problem. I don`t want to have to declaw but she goes balistic at the vet and can`t get her nails cut. We even tryed to sedate her and she still went balistic.She stratched the vet...again.

The vet said that it is too stressful for her and recommended declawing. I have had declawed cats but they never went outside. By the way, it is expensive to declaw now a days. They want $145.
cl723, I'd say find another vet. Any veterinarian who recommends declawing (especially for their own convenience and profit) can't be all that great. Plus, it's almost unbelievable that she said your declawed cat would be fine outdoors!

Also, maybe your cat just doesn't like this vet. Have you tried taking the cat to another "nail cutter"? Some Humane Society locations offer this service for a small fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
cl723, I'd say find another vet. Any veterinarian who recommends declawing (especially for their own convenience and profit) can't be all that great. Plus, it's almost unbelievable that she said your declawed cat would be fine outdoors!

Also, maybe your cat just doesn't like this vet. Have you tried taking the cat to another "nail cutter"? Some Humane Society locations offer this service for a small fee.
I totally agree. Most vets want even do it anymore and if they do,you have to assure them that the cat is strictly an indoor cat. There is something wrong with this vet and I would definitely find another one immediately.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I'm not sure if the OP is still looking for advice, but I would not declaw a cat, especially if it was going outside. And I agree with others, I'd be looking for a new vet.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Seems like the OP wanted us to say "yeah, that's fine, no problem!" and when we did the opposite, the thread was abandoned. He or she is now posting on the thread about letting cats roam outside.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
Luvmycat, YOU are trying to sir up trouble.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Luvmycat, YOU are trying to sir up trouble.
No, I'm not trying to "stir up trouble", I just noticed that you haven't responded to any of the advice on here since getting mad at a couple of the previous posters, but you have been posting on the other thread about letting cats roam...just stating facts. When you start a thread, the people who contribute to it hope to see a resolve at some point, and when the OP gets silent it leaves the rest of us wondering what will happen.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,535 times
Declawing is cruel. I think you need to find another vet. Why would you want to spend $145 to harm your cat... not the least to say its going outside. Outdoors is full of danger, cats outdoors need all the protection they can get.
Declawed cats can bite, they often fail to use a litterbox. sometimes they loose parts of their paws or limbs.

One of the reasons I'm not moving into rental (if I ever do) until my cats die is BECAUSE of declaw policeys.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
[quote=PantherPride;
One of the reasons I'm not moving into rental (if I ever do) until my cats die is BECAUSE of declaw policeys.[/quote]

Not all apts that allow pets insist cats be declawed. I never even heard of it where I live. Call and ask before you even go look at the place. I bet most LLs or rental agents don't even know what declawing is.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
to the OP, I agree with some posters here about trying a new vet. If your cat stresses so much at seeing this vet, maybe she senses he's not cat-friendly...animals do know by instinct who's OK or not... And after declawing she could not be an outdoor cat IMO...it's not fair to her to put her out there without defenses. I agree that scratching people is a problem but she's not just clawing anyone, just this vet, going by what you said ... At least call another vet or two to get a second opinion.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default Declawing an outside cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Your vet, like so many others I've met in my lifetime, is WRONG!

1. No she cannot go outside once she can no longer defend herself or climb a tree.
2. It sounds like your vet wants to make money by maiming and disfiguring your cat. It's cruel to cut their "fingertips" off. Most advanced nations have already outlawed this cruel practice.
3. Her nails do not need clipping. Get her a few scratching posts and she'll take care of them herself.
Everyone has an opinion and your's isn't necessarily the correct one. You most cetainly are entitled to your opinion, but I hope the rest of the posters realize what you say is only an opinion. I have two cats and both have been declawed, one before I adopted him, and one after she adopted us. Both of these cats go outside and do very well outside. Neither of them can leave my yard and other animals can't easily get into my yard. They are both safe. True, they can not climb trees, but they have a place where they can go where they are safe from larger animals. Dogs can not get into my yard. Deer can, and do, but they don't bother the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats