Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 07:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,668 times

Advertisements

In my former job I met many well known people briefly. Tom Selleck was approachable, seemed to handle all the fuss around him very well. Dennis Franz was a genuinely nice person. Marlon Jackson was quiet and seemed shy. George Clooney was intense and enjoyed playing basketball to relax. No one believes me when I tell them but Miles Davis was always civil to everyone, at least during the time I saw him. Re the unpleasant people let's put it this way: if you read headlines about some celebrity behaving badly, based on my observations I'd have to say the story is probably more fact than fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I saw Gabby Gifford recently in an airport and I hate to say it but she was acting pretty horrible to the people she was with, who were trying to help her. In her defense, it must be a pain to travel in a wheelchair, but still...it was a letdown to see someone in her position acting petulant and demanding.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
I worked in and around Century City and West Hollywood for many years. One of the kindest, most humble people I ever met was Donna Summer.

Possibly the snootiest most-stuck-up person I met was (get ready for it) Alejandro Rey. I know, Alejandro who? Best known in the U.S. for The Flying Nun.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I saw Gabby Gifford recently in an airport and I hate to say it but she was acting pretty horrible to the people she was with, who were trying to help her. In her defense, it must be a pain to travel in a wheelchair, but still...it was a letdown to see someone in her position acting petulant and demanding.

brain injuries can do all sorts of things to a personality..... my first husband lost his mental censor when he sustained a head injury and then developed bacterial meningitis..... my mother did too as she lost herself in mult-infarct (mutlti-stroke) dementia.....

Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I worked in and around Century City and West Hollywood for many years. One of the kindest, most humble people I ever met was Donna Summer.

Possibly the snootiest most-stuck-up person I met was (get ready for it) Alejandro Rey. I know, Alejandro who? Best known in the U.S. for The Flying Nun.
I remember him....he sure was good looking......and it sounds like it went to his head.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:27 AM

563 posts, read 524,076 times
Default Stars and Celebrities

I used to live on Sunset Blvd and would see celebrities everywhere I went. I also worked at a place on Melrose, so it was non stop. I also went to a lot of political events. List are in no particular order.

Five Star Nice: Alicia Silverstone
Selma Hayek
Bill Clinton
Debra Messing
Courtney Love
Jenny Craig
Anthony Kiedis
Joan Kroc

Famous, but not so nice: Ludicrous
Janice Dickinson

Most celebrities seem to be fairly friendly, some are just downright normal. It is fun to meet them. But, like anything in life, there are always a few that have really overbought their own BS.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:53 AM

15 posts, read 23,242 times
When I was a teen in the early 90s, sometimes our family would travel and stay at the hotels with visiting MLB teams. Here are my experiences from autograph-seeking with some of the stars of that time in the lobbies:

Friendly:

Darryl Strawberry
Will Clark
Jose Canseco
Matt Williams
Roger Clemens (just to me when I bumped into him alone in the elevator. Brushed off everyone elsewhere)
Cal Ripken Jr.

Rude:

Mark McGwire
Rickey Henderson (big shock eh)
Fernando Valenzuela
Eddie Murray

In a (lack of) class by himself:

Johnny Bench (nasty to everyone. When he did sign for someone, shoved it back to him and said "here go sell it")

Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh159 View Post

Rude:

Eddie Murray

I'm surprised at that one. I know Eddie didn't have the best relations with the press, but I've never heard anything about him not getting along with fans. Was he genuinely rude, or just not particularly friendly?

Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 23,242 times
It was probably closer to "not particularly friendly"; actually, all of those I listed as rude were on that borderline (just didn't feel like splitting hairs), so none were THAT awful, except Bench.

Other experiences from a Vegas trip: played blackjack years ago with Kevin Hardy, Ennis Haywood (RIP) and other Dallas Cowboys or practice squad cowboys. They were all very friendly and social with me. Except for the guy sitting next to me at the table who said he wasn't Lennox Lewis, but sure did look and talk like him. Lennox (or fake Lennox) was an elitist snot.

Also, poker with Greg Anthony. He is the same easy-going, great guy off the cameras as on them. Except with his womanizing apparently....oops.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:29 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh159 View Post
...so none were THAT awful, except Bench.

I wish that you'd have taken the opportunity to tell Bench that he couldn't carry Brooks Robinson's jock strap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities