Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,644,292 times

Advertisements

Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Because we live in a world where people are still persecuted for being who they are.

What do you think would have happened had he not "come out" but was seen walking down the street in Manhattan holding hands with a man?? Or kissing a man?? Or moving in with a man or marrying a man???

He would have been torn to shreds in the media and all the ignorant bigots would have been demanding his shows be cancelled, they'd be picketing the studios where he tapes, etc etc etc.

Another reason a "non famous" person may feel the need to "come out"?? Basically the same. Everyone "assumes" you're straight (unless you're flamboyant or overly butch) so you can't "be yourself" until you let the people you're close to know.

sorry, I don't agree.

the world is not entitled to know.

what makes the people of the world entitled to know someones business??, nope, not entitled.
don't agree.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
he came out at this time because he felt it might help those kids who are bullied and tormented for being gay. he is an icon and if his coming out publically can help just one other young person keep from jumping out of a window then i can certainly understand that motivation.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 PM

943 posts, read 1,846,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
he came out at this time because he felt it might help those kids who are bullied and tormented for being gay. he is an icon and if his coming out publically can help just one other young person keep from jumping out of a window then i can certainly understand that motivation.

if that was the reason then he took to long to help gay kids he should have done that 20 yrs ago if not more gay kids hve been bullied for a very long time its not like it JUST HAPPENED

he did It for ratings his show needs attention an when you bring attention to yourself like saying your Gay will help your ratings and bring more of the gay community to your show. there are gays like Oprah who are afraid to do this but also support no bullying of gay kids.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
Personally, I think he revealed himself to be gay because he wants freedom to be with his partner. Probably to even marry the guy he's been with for some years now.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,775 times
i still have a crush on the grey fox in spite of this

Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM

943 posts, read 1,846,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Personally, I think he revealed himself to be gay because he wants freedom to be with his partner. Probably to even marry the guy he's been with for some years now.

everyone new he was gay ......... so why announce it unless its for PR

Like Liberace we new he was gay but it would have been funny if he had to announce it. or did he?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
everyone new he was gay ......... so why announce it unless its for PR

Like Liberace we new he was gay but it would have been funny if he had to announce it. or did he?

no, not really. I think for Anderson the issue is a bit more complex than the average guy on the street. Again, I think it was for personal reasons that he kept it on the down low for so long and for moving forward in his personal life that he finally confirmed.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Why did he take so long to come out? I had never heard any rumors he was.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,339,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
if that was the reason then he took to long to help gay kids he should have done that 20 yrs ago if not more gay kids hve been bullied for a very long time its not like it JUST HAPPENED

he did It for ratings his show needs attention an when you bring attention to yourself like saying your Gay will help your ratings and bring more of the gay community to your show. there are gays like Oprah who are afraid to do this but also support no bullying of gay kids.

If you read his quotes you can see first hand what his reason was (it doesn't take that much effort - hint: scroll back a few). It had nothing to do with ratings. If you read it, you'll see there's no negative aspect to jump upon (well maybe you could find something). It's really all quite benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities