Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I do not understand why gay people feel they must come out and announce to the world, um, hello, the world is not entitled to know that.

if someone asks you can say, yes I am.....
I agree. When someone "comes out", it feels like they're publically admitting that they know they have an illness, as the first step to healing themselves. It's similar to when someone who's an alcoholic finally admits out loud, "I'm an alcoholic."

I really don't care for this "coming out" trend. Why scream for attention and validation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
everyone new he was gay ......... so why announce it unless its for PR

Like Liberace we new he was gay but it would have been funny if he had to announce it. or did he?

What was the key word here that lets me know you are in my age bracket????

But I agree. We already knew Liberace was different.

With Anderson, because he is a respectable man, not flamboyant and over the top, but a regular man, it lets people know that all gay men, (including me), are no where near the Liberace thing, and not that that is terrible. Anderson is a good role model for younger gay men to look up to. maybe that is why he felt the need to 'come out"
I just cant get past that "comming out thing", maybe it is my age.....I don't know.

I would think that at this point in time, the year 2012, that 2 people of the same sex walking down the street holding hands should hardly be a shock anymore. Which here in many parts of Brooklyn and Ny it isnt. We see 2 young guys holding hands walking on the boardwalk of Coney island, nobody blinks an eye....

It was like an interracial couple of the 60's together, it is no longer a shock, he is black she is white.....so what, who cares, nothing new or wrong here.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
if that was the reason then he took to long to help gay kids he should have done that 20 yrs ago if not more gay kids hve been bullied for a very long time its not like it JUST HAPPENED

he did It for ratings his show needs attention an when you bring attention to yourself like saying your Gay will help your ratings and bring more of the gay community to your show. there are gays like Oprah who are afraid to do this but also support no bullying of gay kids.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
no, not really. I think for Anderson the issue is a bit more complex than the average guy on the street. Again, I think it was for personal reasons that he kept it on the down low for so long and for moving forward in his personal life that he finally confirmed.

this is also possible as well.

Now what about Mike Woods on the weather on Good Day NY, (I know he is part of the family), but he never says anything and keeps things vague, I love it, and I love him too !!

He is also a good role model for younger gay men, but he has not come out, is he supposed to??, No, he isn't, we are really not entitled to know his personal life, we really aren't

but i do enjoy seeing him in a t shirt with hos huge arms......but i digress.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I thought I read some little article about his relationship, with a photo of the two men, quite some time ago.
I do think the more people realize that they know/like/love someone who is gay, the less gay-hating there will be, or that should happen. I don't think anyone has an obligation to come out, celebrity or otherwise, but like I said, the more gay people straight people are familiar with, the better. Helps the get rid of stereotypes.

I wonder if that applies to bible-thumpers. There's still a long way to go.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I do not understand why gay people feel they must come out and announce to the world, um, hello, the world is not entitled to know that.

if someone asks you can say, yes I am.....
It is annoying actually. Why do these celebrities have to make a public announcement of something we really don't even care about?
I'm wondering who's next--John Travolta? Tom Cruise? Oprah? Does it even matter??
It's not like we know any of them personally, so they should keep it to themselves.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
coming out is NOTHING like announcing you are ill as some prior poster stated. Homosexuality is not an illness.

I have read a lot of Anderson. His Aunt was a dear friend of mine. He felt as if his personal life had nothing to do with is professional life and therefore he was mute about it. Certainly his prerogative. And he was that way for many years. He has said the terrible toll bullying has taken on young gays is why HE CHANGED HIS MIND. Also something all of us can do. He does not need publicity nor more press. His career is fine. He has just now decided to take a step which might help. Why do you have to see something sinister with that?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
Well.......I guess he better not take any more of those assignments in those Muslim countrties!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
It is annoying actually. Why do these celebrities have to make a public announcement of something we really don't even care about?
I'm wondering who's next--John Travolta? Tom Cruise? Oprah? Does it even matter??
It's not like we know any of them personally, so they should keep it to themselves.

Your right it doesn't really matter, and we really don't care.

When you are comfortable from within yourself, it comes out. You don't need someones else's approval.

I know I don't.

and i will be damned if I have to justify myself to anyone. Holla !!

kinda like the episode where Oprah said "I will never justify myself to no white woman"

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And the world responds, "DUH!". TMZ is reporting he issued a letter to the daily beast in which he comes out.

Meow...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities