Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times

Advertisements

Who are some actors or actresses -- in TV or Movies -- that you wondered why they didn't achieve more?

James Drury and Doug Clure

Granted these two if you're under 50 you've likely never even heard of them...but I was watching -- of all things the 1960's TV western "The Virginian" -- starring James Drury and Doug McClure (along with Lee J. Cobb)...and I always wondered why Drury and McClure didn't really do a lot more with their careers.

Dark-haired James Drury was a handsome rugged type...and blond Doug McClure was a genuine heart-throb, but he didn't really do much with his career after the Virginian. Seems to me they both certainly COULD have really been more A-List if they'd wanted.

As for wondering about someone's career choices....I've wondered that about:
1) Tommy Lee Jones - especially when he did that Volcano movie in the 80s. The man was an Oscar nominee doing that junk. He's redeemed himself since then. Thank goodness.

2) Wesley Snipes. Bona fide action star and A-lister who ends up doing straight to video movies...and in prison for tax charges.

I'm also very interested when I hear which actors turned down which roles, and who eventually did the part. Some career choices you really have to wonder about. I guess David Caruso learned that lesson after leaving NYPD Blue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
Errol Flynn - Alcoholism

Rip Torn - Alcoholism

James Dean - Car Wreck

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
One actor I wonder about was Greg Bradford who was in Zapped and Lovelines, and several other movies.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Amanda pays and Larry Minetti from "Magnum P.I." are 2 that come to mind.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Who are some actors or actresses -- in TV or Movies -- that you wondered why they didn't achieve more?

James Drury and Doug Clure

Granted these two if you're under 50 you've likely never even heard of them...but I was watching -- of all things the 1960's TV western "The Virginian" -- starring James Drury and Doug McClure (along with Lee J. Cobb)...and I always wondered why Drury and McClure didn't really do a lot more with their careers.

Dark-haired James Drury was a handsome rugged type...and blond Doug McClure was a genuine heart-throb, but he didn't really do much with his career after the Virginian. Seems to me they both certainly COULD have really been more A-List if they'd wanted.

As for wondering about someone's career choices....I've wondered that about:
1) Tommy Lee Jones - especially when he did that Volcano movie in the 80s. The man was an Oscar nominee doing that junk. He's redeemed himself since then. Thank goodness.

2) Wesley Snipes. Bona fide action star and A-lister who ends up doing straight to video movies...and in prison for tax charges.

I'm also very interested when I hear which actors turned down which roles, and who eventually did the part. Some career choices you really have to wonder about. I guess David Caruso learned that lesson after leaving NYPD Blue.
I believe Wesley became famous in an era where he could only play certain roles. And honestly action stars don't typically have extremely long careers unless they keep making sequels and spin-offs. When's the last time you saw Jean Claude Van Damme in a movie? Or Chuck Norris?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 PM

260 posts, read 472,942 times
Volcano was 1997...Tommy Lee Jones has done a real mixture of things and I think he's had a very successful career, he was in everything for a while.

I watched Blood Simple a while back and wondered about John Getz who was the lead.
He was good in it, good looking etc and apart from that I've only ever seen him in small character roles.

Michael Beihn who was in the orig Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss and Tombstone; not sure why he didn't get more roles, he was goodlooking, quite versatile, played both good guys and villains.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
George Lazenby who played James Bond once in "OHMSS" - it was reported that the role went to his head and he was hard to work with. Sean Connery came back for the next one. Think about it: if things had gone well with Lazenby, they would have kept him. Lazenby did some work here and there, but moved out of the limelight, got married, and cranked out a few kids.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,057 times
keanu reeves? did he just disappear into thin air?

megan fox? granted not the best actress but she was on top then just disappeared?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
keanu reeves? did he just disappear into thin air?

megan fox? granted not the best actress but she was on top then just disappeared?
Keanu Did some smaller independent films. He is directing "47 Ronin" this year. Megan had a child so likely taking time off due to this.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
a few I've wondered about are:

Christian Slater
Dean Cain
Winona Ryder
Joe Pesci
Gaby Hoffmann
michelle pfeiffer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities