Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 11:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes, his signature Gibson Byrdland, usually played through 6 Fender Dual Showman amps

Amboy Dukes circa 1968...easy to pick out Ted

Attachment 189775
Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 05:30 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
David Crosby has no time for Ted Nugent whining that he hasn’t been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because of his conservative politics.

After the Trump-supporting rocker told a radio station that he thinks he’s been excluded from the Hall because of his outspoken support for the National Rifle Association, Crosby offered a different explanation, the Daily News reported.

David Crosby: Talent keeping Ted Nugent out of Hall of Fame
Feh!

RRHOF is what the Sex Pistols stated when they did not attend their induction, it's a p**s stain. How anyone can take it seriously when you look at the bands inducted and when, and those notable absentees, and even argue it's about talent at all is a complete joke.

Rush wasn't inducted until 2013, a year after the RHCP, does that make sense to anyone? It was a running annual joke that it was HOF induction time again and oh look no Rush. Black Sabbath were inducted the year after the Pretenders, and U2 again where's the sense? A band who's influence is so great half of the rock bands inducted after they were cite them as a primary influence, inducted in 2006, after the Pretenders and they're not a bad band, but are they more talented, and more influential and more famous than Sabbath? Hell no. Why has Deep Purple delayed from entering until 2016, given Zeppelin and Sabbath were in far earlier and they're one of that British Triad of Heavy Metal pioneers? Where's Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, or any of the NWOBHM without which there's no Metallica. How is Earth Wind and Fire in the RRHOF, but not Chic? Nile Rodgers is in the HOF from the award for musical excellence (justifiably in my opinion), but no Bernard Edwards, and it's the same award given to Ringo Starr, because apparently every other Beatle has two inductions, except poor Ringo (who was a mediocre drummer at best, and about as musically talented as a door stop).

There are to be honest lots of bands in the RRHOF I like, but I don't think they're HOF material because I have no clue how they're there in preference to hundreds of other bands of similar types and similar times that are missing. There are also people in the HOF that just make me scratch my head and think, well who got paid in cash or kind for that one...

Nah, personally I'd take it as a badge of honor that the RRHOF wasn't going to induct me if I had sufficient musical credibility to be known as some form of musical performing artist.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Feh!

RRHOF is what the Sex Pistols stated when they did not attend their induction, it's a p**s stain. How anyone can take it seriously when you look at the bands inducted and when, and those notable absentees, and even argue it's about talent at all is a complete joke.

Rush wasn't inducted until 2013, a year after the RHCP, does that make sense to anyone? It was a running annual joke that it was HOF induction time again and oh look no Rush. Black Sabbath were inducted the year after the Pretenders, and U2 again where's the sense? A band who's influence is so great half of the rock bands inducted after they were cite them as a primary influence, inducted in 2006, after the Pretenders and they're not a bad band, but are they more talented, and more influential and more famous than Sabbath? Hell no. Why has Deep Purple delayed from entering until 2016, given Zeppelin and Sabbath were in far earlier and they're one of that British Triad of Heavy Metal pioneers? Where's Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, or any of the NWOBHM without which there's no Metallica. How is Earth Wind and Fire in the RRHOF, but not Chic? Nile Rodgers is in the HOF from the award for musical excellence (justifiably in my opinion), but no Bernard Edwards, and it's the same award given to Ringo Starr, because apparently every other Beatle has two inductions, except poor Ringo (who was a mediocre drummer at best, and about as musically talented as a door stop).

There are to be honest lots of bands in the RRHOF I like, but I don't think they're HOF material because I have no clue how they're there in preference to hundreds of other bands of similar types and similar times that are missing. There are also people in the HOF that just make me scratch my head and think, well who got paid in cash or kind for that one...

Nah, personally I'd take it as a badge of honor that the RRHOF wasn't going to induct me if I had sufficient musical credibility to be known as some form of musical performing artist.

ted nugent doesn't have that. Credability that is.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:

Ringo (who was a mediocre drummer at best, and about as musically talented as a door stop).

I disagree.

So does this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQsKRyihEA

Anyway, the R&RHOF may as well be called the Museum of Rock & Roll Memorabilia. It's certainly NOT the Rock & Roll Hall of People Who Made Really Good Music. While it does include people who made really good music, it's clear that the main qualifications for induction are FAME, and how much you are liked by Jann Wenner.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
ted nugent doesn't have that. Credability that is.
He's got more'n enough credibility to be considered for the RRHOF based on his music career (which is what he should be rated on, not politics, or being blown by two women at the same time [David Crosby, perhaps the talent he's talking about], or freebasing coke, or shooting guns), given the "credibility" of some of the inductees already there.

That's not to say he should be inducted, or not, just that he has the criteria needed, but how he'd be selected, or how he'd be voted, no one has any idea, because the RRHOF is a commercial entity and really has no relation to actually credible ratings of inductees or non-inductees (because it is a commercial entity and it's intention is to generate profits for it's parent company).

Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I disagree.

So does this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQsKRyihEA
Good for you both, and I get minimalist drumming, I'm a fan of music is in the gaps, not the notes. That said, Neil Peart playing the Beatles is still a good drummer, because he can fill those gaps with all kinds of drum virtuosity, yet choose not to. Ringo however plays in the box, because that's all he can play, doesn't make him a bad drummer, he's got great timing and good rhythm, but it doesn't make him a good drummer, because he can't play outside the box. The mistake is that people think that because someone plays a limited repertoire they're good, that only really applies if they're selecting the repertoire from a much wider range than they're using because it's appropriate, if they're playing that limited repertoire because it's the only repertoire they have, it doesn't mean they're a good drummer, they're self limiting and can be an intelligent drummer, but not a good drummer.

Quote:
Anyway, the R&RHOF may as well be called the Museum of Rock & Roll Memorabilia. It's certainly NOT the Rock & Roll Hall of People Who Made Really Good Music. While it does include people who made really good music, it's clear that the main qualifications for induction are FAME, and how much you are liked by Jann Wenner.
Yep. That seems to sum it up pretty accurately.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Good for you both, and I get minimalist drumming, I'm a fan of music is in the gaps, not the notes. That said, Neil Peart playing the Beatles is still a good drummer, because he can fill those gaps with all kinds of drum virtuosity, yet choose not to. Ringo however plays in the box, because that's all he can play, doesn't make him a bad drummer, he's got great timing and good rhythm, but it doesn't make him a good drummer, because he can't play outside the box. The mistake is that people think that because someone plays a limited repertoire they're good, that only really applies if they're selecting the repertoire from a much wider range than they're using because it's appropriate, if they're playing that limited repertoire because it's the only repertoire they have, it doesn't mean they're a good drummer, they're self limiting and can be an intelligent drummer, but not a good drummer.

Looks like you and I have quite different criteria for making that judgment. Cool. Rock on.

BTW - Gungnir is a cool moniker. A friend of mine was surprised when I recognized his Mjolnir pendant and referred to it by that name.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I disagree.

So does this guy:

These guys disagree also ,Ringo was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZ9VGhhsOk

Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
He's got more'n enough credibility to be considered for the RRHOF based on his music career.

No, no he doesn't .He is only known for his political views .

Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
He's right. I've never found TN to be talented. He's a mediocre guitar player who sounds like a wounded animal when he "sings"
I agree. The timeline for Nugent's music is the late 1960s to 1970s when he was in his youth.
That was before the era of "Auto-Tune" software. So singers needed to have legitimate vocal
talent to thrive without such software which would not become available until decades later.
Nugent was not one of them.

Examples of legitimate vocal talent in the era before Auto-Tune software would be Jim Morrison,
the Beatles, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Elvis, the Who, Tommy James, etc. Nugent was not at their level.

To be fair, he had an awesome video for "Journey to the Center of the Mind" with classic 1960s Go Go Girls (very beautiful). But he doesn't really stand out in the "Pre-Auto-Tune Era" when vocal talent had to be of really high caliber to thrive without computer software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCR3GSXGFc4

I don't care for the musician's political views when analyzing the music. The quality is independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities