Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 10:16 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

You can get upset & call out Will Smith all day long. But fact is Chris Rock needs to be held accountable for throwing a joke at someone who is batting a terrible disease. Stop acting like only 1 person is the problem here.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is the most ironic thing ever.

Jada Smith and Will Smith were a major force behind the “Oscars so white” movement in 2016, when no black actors were nominated for awards. Jada made a point of boycotting the awards (she didn’t attend or watch apparently.) She has been very active in making sure Hollywood is more “diverse.”

Six year later, they finally have their moment. The Oscars are more diverse, Hollywood is more roles. for minorities, etc. Will Smith reaches the pinnacle of his career….and he embarrasses himself in front of the world.

How stupid.

I don’t want to hear anything about how Will was defending her. They have an open marriage; they’ve discussed it in interviews many times.

So because they have an open marriage he can't get upset about her being joked on national television about a disease that has probably brought on depression and hard times to their family? Not saying Will should have did what he did but Chris Rock was wrong for what he said as well.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:27 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
So because they have an open marriage he can't get upset about her being joked on national television about a disease that has probably brought on depression and hard times to their family? Not saying Will should have did what he did but Chris Rock was wrong for what he said as well.
My sister has alopecia. It’s not really a disease or an illness; it’s more of a condition. I agree the joke was nasty.

But yes, if you are ok with many men sleeping with your wife, you might be a bit more chill about a tasteless joke. Especially when you are in front of a world wide audience. There would have been ways to address it later.

YMMV.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
You can get upset & call out Will Smith all day long. But fact is Chris Rock needs to be held accountable for throwing a joke at someone who is batting a terrible disease. Stop acting like only 1 person is the problem here.
So we hold Chris Rock accountable how? By punching him? Enlighten us.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
So we hold Chris Rock accountable how? By punching him? Enlighten us.
By asking why he feels it's okay to joke peoples health conditions on national television?

I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend here. We've turned into a country where people get offended everyday yet nobody seems to think Rock was out of line with what he said.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:45 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Did you notice W. Smith also laughed at the joke.

But when he noticed his wife isn't smiling... his temper suddenly goes into hyper-space.

Now he's so upset... he feels he must walk onto the stage slap Rock.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
By asking why he feels it's okay to joke peoples health conditions on national television?

I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend here. We've turned into a country where people get offended everyday yet nobody seems to think Rock was out of line with what he said.
How many times has Will Smith sat in the audience and listened to jokes at other people’s expense? Suddenly it wasn’t ok because it was against his wife?

This kind of stuff has been going on for as long as I can remember. There were four years of awards shows filled with the most hate filled vile comments against the President of the United States and that was just fine, because it was against Trump. Heck, it wasn’t at an awards show but remember Kathy Griffin and Trump’s head? That’s how Hollywood thinks.

Again, I agree, the joke was tasteless. But in reality, we should have started punching people out at these awards shows 30 or 40 years ago.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:58 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Did you notice W. Smith also laughed at the joke.

But when he noticed his wife isn't smiling... his temper suddenly goes into hyper-space.

Now he's so upset... he feels he must walk onto the stage slap Rock.
Exactly. Will acted like a teenager who goes all ballistic because someone told him he should.
He was fine with it and then went from 0 to 100 in seconds. That's not healthy.
Puppet much, Will? Jada pulling those strings.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:10 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
i'm guessing chris didn't know about her alopecia. she has had a lot of different hair styles over the years and i think he just thought this was the latest. will laughed at the joke, but she looked hurt and offended. he probably looked at her and saw that she was hurt and that set him off. chris was stunned, understandably, and he looked like he was on the verge of tears to me, and had a difficult time getting back on track.

seeing will act normally after that was bizarre. laughing and clapping and accepting his award. but there is footage of tyler and denzel taking will aside and talking to him and will appears to wipe tears as he sits back down. i see some people thinking this was staged. it didn't look staged to me. he wouldn't have been throwing f bombs at him, especially shouting like that, if this was fake. i don't know what chris will do, press charges? i think he probably won't. but i wouldn't blame him. that was totally uncalled for. the joke was not that bad, but i can see if he knew about her alopecia, then yeah, that was not cool to make a joke.

wow. well...it will be the talk about the oscars tomorrow! i saw conan o'brien say something like "just saw the will slap, anyone got a late night talk show i can borrow tomorrow just for one day?" haha!

Old 03-27-2022, 11:16 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
The joke was in poor taste but Will should never have gotten up there and slapped Rock. That crossed the line. What happens if other actors or actresses suddenly started to assault comedians for personal jabs? This sort of behavior is unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities