Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 05:21 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,405,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think what people are missing is that Jada is struggling with alopecia. That's why she has shaved her head. So that "joke" from Rock was pretty disgusting. You don't joke about people's illnesses.
Can't go up and hit someone either because they said something you didn't like. Yeah, let's continue to teach kids that violence is the answer

Old 03-28-2022, 05:33 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,810,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Can't go up and hit someone either because they said something you didn't like. Yeah, let's continue to teach kids that violence is the answer
I agree.. my first thoughts this morning when I heard this was... What was that compere thinking... then watched it and felt disgust at Will Smith.. completely out of order.. breaking the law and if so angry why the hell didnt he walk out with his wife...NO he went on to party the night away dancing to his own tune and waving his award... so wasnt he upset... He ruined the night for other taking over the whole event.. shame on him... even with the nasty remarks....Smith laughed himself until he saw his wifes face.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:35 AM

870 posts, read 1,127,518 times
Had it been Joe Rogan making those jokes the fresh prince would have stayed put and kept quiet.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:36 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,810,472 times
Quote:
Why would he refuse his award? His beef wasn’t with the Academy.
No but SMith ruined the night for many at the awards taking over the whole event... he was acting childish and full of his own importance.. all he really expected was applause for his actions..I dont agree for the foolish so called joke..but Smith laughed himself at first...The Academy isnt happy and doesnt condone any violence..quite right.

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-28-2022 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-28-2022, 05:40 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,969,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Jada is beautiful with and without hair - I didn't know about her condition but think it was stupid for Will to go all GI Joe. Guess I feel this way because even when my cousin lost all her hair while going through chemo she used to joke about it. She refused to wear wigs and said she was grateful to be alive.

Going back to the original Fresh Prince episodes - many of the jokes would not pass mustard in today's society. We've had comedians like Don Rickles and even did Celebrity Roasts back in the day - those could be brutal but everyone knew they were done in fun.

I've lost a lot of respect for both Jada and Will throughout the years and this only solidifies my opinion of them. Only in today's society does that joke cross the line. Everyone has to learn to laugh at themselves every once in a while.
I have a DVD set of Dean Martin's Celebrity Roasts. They did one for Sammy Davis Jr. and the racial jokes were more than a tad bit cringe worthy. I had to keep reminding myself that "it was the 1970's."

Old 03-28-2022, 06:07 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,161,433 times
Could this have been a well played work? Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler did something just like this many years ago.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:21 AM

16,430 posts, read 12,564,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I wasn't defending Will's actions. I was explaining why the joke was vile.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:27 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,685,232 times
Quote:
I wasn't defending Will's actions. I was explaining why the joke was vile.
The joke isn’t vile. Chris Rock comes from an age where people used to be able to laugh at themselves. If you’ve followed his career at all, this joke is pretty tame. The difference is we’ve lost the ability to make or take a joke. Everything is now offensive.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:39 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,609,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Woman losing their hair is a big deal to most. Sounds like you're reaching for reasons to excuse Chris Rocks poor taste in jokes.

And I guess if Oscar jokes have been in poor taste in the past we should just continue this?
And that poster you're replying to is a woman, but I'll bet she's never had a close female family member live with having Alopecia.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:41 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,936,899 times
Quote:
You can get upset & call out Will Smith all day long. But fact is Chris Rock needs to be held accountable for throwing a joke at someone who is batting a terrible disease. Stop acting like only 1 person is the problem here.
Agree he shouldn't have made a joke about that (I'm hoping he didn't know about her condition). Still, Smith could have handled it better. But there is no reason to go up to someone and hit them for a joke. Totally inappropriate under any circumstances so I do support calling him out on this (and Rock should be held accountable for making an inappropriate comment). He actually didn't seem appropriately apologetic for it either; didn't mention Rock's name at all. I'm actually hoping the Academy doesn't invite him back, but this group of people are those that are way out of line with my morals and values so essentially I really don't care one way or the other.

When it first happened, I thought it was staged and then really wondered when they cut the sound; but then they went to a shot of Smith verbally assaulting Rock, which probably shouldn't have been there so I wondered maybe it could have been staged and they were just like *really* going for authenticity. But apparently the altercation wasn't scripted, at least no evidence of that so far (yet I'm still just slightly suspicious because when I first googled the incident to find out if it was staged, it kept pulling up results from March 2016 when Rock, Smith and his wife were involved in some other incident, so I thought this was like a throw back to that whole thing).

Quote:
Stop putting words in my mouth and coming up with assumptions.

Big difference between a guy making jokes about womens health issues on national tv versus something Kathy Griffin said about Trump indirectly. Kathy never said it to Trump face to face.
Agree with you on this. I'm sorry but this country--as well as many others--has been making vile jokes about political representatives for... probably a couple hundred years now (other countries much longer of course). It's become quite the norm with not many looking at it as any moral issue. I personally do not agree with it, but that is due to my religious beliefs. Such mockery is far, far different from poking fun at someone who has a condition which really can become a source of depression to many who have it. It's more along the lines, though totally not the same degree of course since as someone mentioned the condition is not exactly like an illness or terminal or anything like that, of someone making a joke about a nominee having cancer. That would I hope obviously not be cool to like anyone out there (maybe perhaps a more similar thing might be like a nominee having gotten over breast cancer but had to have a masectomy and of course got reconstructive surgery; like if Rock mentioned something like about her breasts. That would probably still be a bit worse maybe than what he did say, but I think it's more along the same lines).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 03-28-2022 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.