Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 PM

172 posts, read 1,063,265 times

Advertisements

I was very upset by Oprah's Friday Live Show from last Friday 3/6. I'm not an avid watcher of Oprah but I have tuned in from time to time over the years. (I don't subscribe to her magazine or buy the books on her list or any of that.)

If you were fortunate enough to have missed Friday's show, let me explain...

First, Oprah's friend Gayle was talking about her appreciation for "couple's speak" i.e. the simple things we say to each other such as "honey do you want me to pick some milk up for you at the store" or "do you need anything?" Oprah just had to chime in with "My version of couple's speak is 'your plane or mine?'"

Then they brought out Oprah's good friend Tyler Perry and proceeded to tell a long-drawn out story about how Mr. Perry surprised both Oprah and Gayle with brand new white Bentleys for Christmas! They were sure to cap it off with "Oh but that was before the economic crisis." But isn't that nice that he bought a billionaire and her buddy matching Bentleys!

Oprah also told a story about how she and Mr. Perry were on their way to Jennifer Aniston's birthday party, when he casually said, "Did I mention I bought an island today?" Ha ha ha, they laughed--isn't that so funny!

They also introduced Oprah's new purebred cocker spaniel puppy (which they say she "rescued" from a shelter but it was a no-kill shelter and god forbid she buy a mutt!). Anyhow, the dog was wearing...you guessed it...a Ralph Lauren sweater!

How on earth during these troubled times could they be bragging about this stuff to an audience who could not possibly relate? Did Oprah miss the memo on how to be tactful during tough economic times? The same week that she had a show about people who have lost their homes and live in tents, they did this live show bragging about extreme wealth and luxuries. I just don't get it!

I completely understand that she is wealthy, and I am not saying she hasn't worked hard for it BUT couldn't she have kept these things between her rich pals instead of rubbing it in the faces of people who are battling just to make ends meet? Wouldn't it be wise to pass on the casual plane rides after she had Al Gore himself on her show talking about global warming?

I went on to her community forum and there were almost 400 posts by people who were very upset about this, but this morning the entire thread went POOF! Deleted by her staff!

Your thoughts?

Last edited by JupiterFire; 03-11-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
I was able to find the thread, perhaps it was just missed. By the way, I agree with you. I didn't see that show, but from what you have said, it was tacky. And some of the responses on Oprah's forum were also inappropriate.

Oprah.com Community: Flaunting wealth ...

Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Oprah is an arrogant, big mouthed biotch who likes to flaunt her fame and wealth. I detest her, her girlfriend,Gayle; and feel sorry for her make believe boyfriend. Oprah cares about (A) OPRAH (B) Oprah's image (C) Oprah's money
She is as shallow as a person can be.
I read that Michelle Obama is quite OvEr Miss Winfrey as Oprah seems to take it upon herself to tell the world that she(Oprah) is totally responsible for Obama getting elected. Allegedly she burst upon the White House as though she should have her own room there, gets a little too cozy with both Obamas and annoys the hell out of the First Lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post
I was very upset by Oprah's Friday Live Show from last Friday 3/6. I'm not an avid watcher of Oprah but I have tuned in from time to time over the years. (I don't subscribe to her magazine or buy the books on her list or any of that.)

If you were fortunate enough to have missed Friday's show, let me explain...

First, Oprah's friend Gayle was talking about her appreciation for "couple's speak" i.e. the simple things we say to each other such as "honey do you want me to pick some milk up for you at the store" or "do you need anything?" Oprah just had to chime in with "My version of couple's speak is 'your plane or mine?'"

Then they brought out Oprah's good friend Tyler Perry and proceeded to tell a long-drawn out story about how Mr. Perry surprised both Oprah and Gayle with brand new white Bentley's for Christmas! They were sure to cap it off with "Oh but that was before the economic crisis." But isn't that nice that he bought a billionaire and her buddy matching Bentleys!

Oprah also told a story about how she and Mr. Perry were on their way to Jennifer Aniston's birthday party, when he casually said, "Did I mention I bought an island today?" Ha ha ha, they laughed--isn't that so funny!

They also out Oprah's new purebred cocker spaniel puppy (which they say she "rescued from a shelter but it was a no-kill shelter and god forbid she buy a mutt!). Anyhow, the dog was wearing...you guessed it...a Ralph Lauren sweater!

How on earth during these troubled times could they be bragging about this stuff to an audience who could not possibly relate? Did Oprah miss the memo on how to be tactful during tough economic times? The same week that she had a show about people who have lost their homes and live in tents, they did this live show bragging about extreme wealth and luxuries. I just don't get it!

I completely understand that she is wealthy, and I am not saying she hasn't worked hard for it BUT couldn't she have kept these things between her rich pals instead of rubbing it in the faces of people who are battling just to make ends meet? Wouldn't it be wise to pass on the casual plane rides after she had Al Gore himself on her show talking about global warming?

I went on to her community forum and there were almost 400 posts by people who were very upset about this, but this morning the entire thread was deleted by her staff!

Your thoughts?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I was able to find the thread, perhaps it was just missed. By the way, I agree with you. I didn't see that show, but from what you have said, it was tacky. And some of the responses on Oprah's forum were also inappropriate.

Oprah.com Community: Flaunting wealth ...
Thanks for the link, but that's a different thread--the original one had 400 posts.

I visited the link you provided and want to point out that if the "rich negro" comments offended you it's because you didn't see the show for the back story. Posters are referring to a point in the show when Oprah was calling her friend, Tyler Perry, "my rich negro brother" and he was calling her "my rich negro sister." It's another reason, amongst many others, that people are upset about the show. There were also comments made about Gayle's dog being "gay but in a good way." Obviously, all of those comments are extremely rude and offensive.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
I guess I am the only person in the free world that has never watched the Oprah Show ... not one episode!

My d-in-law even subscribes to her magazine.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I guess I am the only person in the free world that has never watched the Oprah Show ... not one episode!

Cheers to you! That's great!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link, but that's a different thread--the original one had 400 posts.

I visited the link you provided and want to point out that if the "rich negro" comments offended you it's because you didn't see the show for the back story. Posters are referring to a point in the show when Oprah was calling her friend, Tyler Perry, "my rich negro brother" and he was calling her "my rich negro sister." It's another reason, amongst many others, that people are upset about the show. There were also comments made about Gayle's dog being "gay but in a good way." Obviously, all of those comments are extremely rude and offensive.
If it were anyone other than Oprah, we'd all be saying she jumped the shark this time. But she is apparently bullet-proof. If anyone else in the entire world had made those comments publicly they would have been blacklisted to eternity. I never watch her show as I cannot tolerate grandstanders. She makes Trump look like the picture of humility.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:

Oops! Well, here is another one with 357 posts. It may not be the one your are looking for, but it is full of negative comments for Oprah's show if anyone else is interested in reading.

Oprah.com Community: Oprah Fridays Live ...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Oops! Well, here is another one with 357 posts. It may not be the one your are looking for, but it is full of negative comments for Oprah's show if anyone else is interested in reading.

Oprah.com Community: Oprah Fridays Live ...
Yeah that's the one! Okay so it's almost 400. How did you find it? It used to be on the main "community" page and then it disappeared. I tried clicking on "view all discussions" and that didn't bring it up either. Anyhow, the only way I was able to find it was via a Google search. Looks like they have at least buried the thread!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Oprah has been getting away with flaunting it the last decade or so with her favorite things etc and only now the outrage. I've been uncomfortable with her for years but have kept my mouth shut for fear of seeming like a "hater". Really how can anyone watch her show. She is almost totally unrelatable as far as I'm concerned and her whole audience is a bunch enslaved wannabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities