Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,425,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I think it's just a case of estrangement. We can be estranged from some of our families that we consider toxic and no advances from their side would succeed. Joe Jackson was seen by Michael's side 4 years back during Michael's trial - but it apparently didn't mean that they were OK with each other, outside of that event.
I have always felt that Joe Jackson was the cause of not only MJ's internal battles, but also the force that he used his music to confront and rebel against. I feel that MJ's older brothers also had a minor role as well. MJ was not close to his father at all because of his father's abuse of him when he was younger. Joe Jackson was a very disturbed, abusive father. Only the members of that house know to what extent Michael got the brunt of it, but growing up in the Chicago during that time, it was commonplace for fathers to exercise strict discipline and some went overboard. MJ was teased by his older brothers as the case in many families, and abused by his father. I even read once that Joe Jackson told his little son that he was ugly, maybe countless number of times.

Whatever the extent of the abuse and ridicule that MJ endured as a child, his was far from an ideal childhood, not just because he was such a phenom, but because of the very damaging existence he had to endure day in and night out in that small house with Joe Jackson and his older brothers. Very damaging to him and he spent the rest of his life attempting to cope with the psychological damages from this time.

His music reflects his struggles. He used his music to obtain validation, approval, to rebel, and to express frustration. He used it to express fantasy, anger, rage, and to prove that he was better than his brothers despite their ridicule of him at an early age. His music was his temporary escape. So damaged by looking in the mirror and recalling the shame that he felt because of the abuse, he changed his physical appearance. He did not want to look at facial features that reminded him of the little boy who was for instance, slapped repeatedly by his father, or features that his father and/or brothers identified as "ugly." Kids, even siblings can be brutal on each other. Joe went over the top though. Michael has never been close to his father and this has been evident by his father's silence and absence in the media until now. MJ's brothers were kept at bay as well, and it appears they knew nothing of MJ's life or affairs. Non-family members were more privy to Michael's private life than his bothers and father. Very telling.

MJ could change his facial features and hair, but no amount of money in the world could repair the scars from the childhood abuse. The famous booking photo of him was telling. There before us was a deeply disturbed man, one whose anguish was evident. Quite a shame IMO. Just a theory I have. Don't know how close it is to reality, but I have listened to MJ's music since the 60s, and knowing what I do know about him, this is what I got out of the man. Perhaps in time, facts will be revealed to shed some light on what I perceive as his lifelong battle to cope with the very damaging effects of paternal childhood abuse. It pains me to look at the suddenly emerging Joe Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,425,076 times
Came across this article that talks a bit about what I suspect was MJ's lifelong battle with the devastating effects of paternal child abuse.

GlobeGazette.com (http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2009/06/30/entertainment/music/doc4a499de64bfe8779586101.txt - broken link)

Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,884,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
E! News just confirmed this was false.
How did they confirm it? Is there a link to a story?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,269,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Came across this article that talks a bit about what I suspect was MJ's lifelong battle with the devastating effects of paternal child abuse.

GlobeGazette.com (http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2009/06/30/entertainment/music/doc4a499de64bfe8779586101.txt - broken link)
This article was also reprinted in the Washington Post. People should listen to the words.
"Have you seen my Childhood?" Jackson wonders, his voice light and high. "Before you judge me, try hard to love me/The painful youth I've had."

Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 AM

5,481 posts, read 12,266,791 times
Quote:

You know, I'm not going to dissect and read into his songs and lyrics. MJs abuse by his father is well-documented in serveral of his interviews. I tend to believe what MJ himself says rather than reading into lyrics. He spoke of how his father teased him constantly about his fat nose and would say "you didn't get that nose from MY side of the family----must be your mother" and other horrible teasings about his face/acne, hair, etc. No wonder he was constantly trying to run away from that.

He was smart in distancing himself from dysfunctional and abusive relationships. Unfortunately, he needed people in his life and he was an easy target for people to take advantage of him, as he didn't always attract those who had his best interest in mind.

His father did NOT have his best interest in mind, and we see this in his interviews both on the BET awards red carpet Sunday and yesterday where he takes the time to plug his new record company/label/business ventures. This is a man who used his son, and no doubt most of the family did as well. They're all living a pretty blessed life, and I can't think of any Jackson, outside of Janet, who has had any notable music success to fund those pretty California houses.

Word has it that MJ did leave a will, drafted around 2002, and it divides his estate into thirds between his mother, his children, and specific charities. That sounds much more like the MJ we all loved, and it speaks volumes as to who stood behind him and who he treasured and who caused him pain. After watching Joe Jackson use his son's death to plug his record company, it hit me and I felt much more sympathy for MJ than I ever did before. I think, regardless of the guy's eccentric manner, he was greatly misunderstood. By all accounts he was a wonderful parent and his close friends say that in private, away from the cameras and stuff, he was very normal.

I don't know. I'm just really put out by Joe Jackson right now and all the people who are suddenly flocking to the light, claiming to be his friend, etc. Where WERE they?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,734,971 times
Quote:

Clearly he was abused, but eventually you have to own your life and move on. His drug addiction and personal issues could have been solved by some intervention by those who loved him, some therapy, and a dose of reality.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,269,782 times
These four pictures of MJ's last rehearsal have been posted on several sites. He does look very thin.

Michael Jackson Concert Rehearsal | Celebrity Photos | TMZ.com

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 12,266,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
These four pictures of MJ's last rehearsal have been posted on several sites. He does look very thin.

Michael Jackson Concert Rehearsal | Celebrity Photos | TMZ.com
He looks thin but he doesn't look as sickly as some of those "leaked autopsy reports" led us to believe. He looks pretty good. It's a shame. If he had the energy and was up to par, it looks like the concert would have been great.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,661,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
His father did NOT have his best interest in mind, and we see this in his interviews both on the BET awards red carpet Sunday and yesterday where he takes the time to plug his new record company/label/business ventures. This is a man who used his son, and no doubt most of the family did as well.
I listened to Joe Jackson's words as he plugged his new record company, etc. and it made me sick. I could not believe what I was hearing. He couldn't talk about those things in a month or so? And he never really just spoke about Michael, he always used the words "the family".

I can fully understand why MJ distanced himself from his father.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,185,674 times
Joseph Jackson is a slug. Lower than the lowest. He gives me the creeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I listened to Joe Jackson's words as he plugged his new record company, etc. and it made me sick. I could not believe what I was hearing. He couldn't talk about those things in a month or so? And he never really just spoke about Michael, he always used the words "the family".

I can fully understand why MJ distanced himself from his father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities