Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,115,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
You didn't shock me at all. I just don't agree.

I believe Mackenzie's childhood was taken from her and it totally screwed up her adulthood. Her parents had no rules, no morals, and were drug induced and are guilty of introducing this way of life to their child. Writing this book was a way to purge herself of the horrible childhood she suffered. Having a father who took advantage of her instead of protecting her is disgusting to me. It is no surprise that as an adult she was unable to stop this situation. There was no one in her life to suggest anything different. So how would she know. It kind of reminds me of the Jaycee Dugard/Garrido kidnapping. You would think being 21 years old or more and with children she would know better, but she had been seduced beyond the point of no return.

Most of the comments I have read are not surprising. I think most people would want this swept under the rug. No family would want this ugliness put out there for all to know.

I watched the Oprah show where Oprah said the daughter of Denny Doherty of the Mamas and Papas sent her an email confirming Mackenzie's story. Apparently Mackenzie's father confided to her father that he was indeed having a relationship with her and he then shared this with his daughter at some point prior to his death.

I think this whole story is heartbreaking to say the least. And I don't feel it was done for money or to discredit her father either. I think the sole purpose of this book was to release the truth and find peace within. I hope she finds what she is looking for.

I'm sure there are many who will disagree with me. But I really don't care.
I agree with everything you said. This is very heartbreaking and I hope Mackenzie can begin to heal now. I hope she has a good support system around her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,665,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
and FYI- to my knowledge John Phillips and Denny were not and had not been on speaking terms for many many years quite soon after the group broke up.
FYI - After the Mama's and the Papa's split in 1968, they reformed in 1982. The group included John, Denny, Mackenzie, and Elaine McFarlane.

Mackenzie would have been about 23 years old at the time. The "affair" had already begun years earlier. Perhaps Denny saw for himself what was going on or John admitted it to him, who knows. But since they were performing together, I am going to guess they were on speaking terms.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,085,542 times
I just can't understand what the approach for this type of sexual encounter would be. Hey let's get together and do it. Or how about a vacation honey I mean dad, is your wife going to be around. This just seems CRAZY and I just don't believe it happened. I'm more inclined to believe her father molested her than them having a consensual relationship.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 AM

73 posts, read 232,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I just have one question: Where was her mom during all of this?
It IS interesting that Mackenzie Phillips never once mentioned her natural mother during both Oprah appearances this week (Wednesday and Friday).
Her birth mother is listed as a "Susan January" and "Susan Adams" a socialite from New York City.

At any rate, she is credible. I believe her, have compassion for her, and am glad she came out with this and that she has a chance to help women in a similar circumstance. I was impressed particularly by her Friday appearance along with her sister Chynna. You go, Mackenzie!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Actress Mackenzie Phillips's life has been synonymous with disaster from her stalled career to her crippling drug addiction.

Mackenzie Phillips: I Had a Sexual Affair With My Dad - ABC News
The above is an ARTICLE TITLE by ABC News, it was created by people at ABC, not Mackenzie Phillips.

On Oprah's show, Mackenzie explained in detail what happened. She was introduced to drugs at age 11, shot up with drugs soon afterward by her father. Then she specifically stated that her dad RAPED her, and that she woke up from a blackout with her underwear down around her ankles with her dad lying next to her.

If you don't have sympathy for that, then God help those of you who have no compassion for her.

She said that as time went on the relationship BECAME consensual. Denny the other band member knew about it, and at least 10 people can corroborate her story, but she doesn't want to put them on the (public) spot.

She had a complicated relationship with her father, based on love and having been abused. She confronted him on his deathbed, he was weak and looked away.

You people (not John1960 the thread starter) who diss "drug addicts" and victims of incest as being people who don't deserve compassion should just stay out of the thread instead of coming in her and spouting your opinion. If you're not interested (as stated) then stay out of the thread.

If you're not going to listen to the facts of the story from the person herself, keep your opinions to yourself because it just makes you look like a person spouting an uninformed opinion without listening to the actual story. Everyone's story is different. Clearly some people hear have more charge on the addicts in their own lives that clouds their thinking about OTHER peoples' stories.

Last edited by hummingbird3; 09-26-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-26-2009, 12:06 PM

16,178 posts, read 32,576,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
The above is an ARTICLE TITLE by ABC News, it was created by people at ABC, not Mackenzie Phillips.

On Oprah's show, Mackenzie explained in detail what happened. She was introduced to drugs at age 11, shot up with drugs soon afterward by her father. Then she specifically stated that her dad RAPED her, and that she woke up from a blackout with her underwear down around her ankles with her dad lying next to her.

If you don't have sympathy for that, then God help those of you who have no compassion for her.

She said that as time went on the relationship BECAME consensual. Denny the other band member knew about it, and at least 10 people can corroborate her story, but she doesn't want to put them on the (public) spot.

She had a complicated relationship with her father, based on love and having been abused. She confronted him on his deathbed, he was weak and looked away.

You people (not John1960 the thread starter) who diss "drug addicts" and victims of incest as being people who don't deserve compassion should just stay out of the thread instead of coming in her and spouting your opinion. If you're not interested (as stated) then stay out of the thread.

If you're not going to listen to the facts of the story from the person herself, keep your opinions to yourself because it just makes you look like a person spouting an uninformed opinion without listening to the actual story. Everyone's story is different. Clearly some people hear have more charge on the addicts in their own lives that clouds their thinking about OTHER peoples' stories.
The thing is that C-D is a public use forum and people can debate any subject allowed under TOS as long as it is done within the TOS guidelines. We welcome all sorts of varying opinions in the spirit of debate and sharing of ideas and thoughts.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
The thing is that C-D is a public use forum and people can debate any subject allowed under TOS as long as it is done within the TOS guidelines. We welcome all sorts of varying opinions in the spirit of debate and sharing of ideas and thoughts.
I understand that perfectly well. However, when someone just keeps coming on and saying the same thing throughout a 9-page thread one begins to wonder why they bother.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:34 PM

16,178 posts, read 32,576,486 times
Quote:
I understand that perfectly well. However, when someone just keeps coming on and saying the same thing throughout a 9-page thread one begins to wonder why they bother.
Oh, so many reasons come to mind.

Now, to get this thread back on topic I will say this: Some family secrets are better left unsaid. Absolutely revolting. Drugs or no, it is disgusting.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:35 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,192,466 times
Quote:
You people (not John1960 the thread starter) who diss "drug addicts" and victims of incest as being people who don't deserve compassion should just stay out of the thread instead of coming in her and spouting your opinion. If you're not interested (as stated) then stay out of the thread.If you're not going to listen to the facts of the story from the person herself, keep your opinions to yourself because it just makes you look like a person spouting an uninformed opinion without listening to the actual story. Everyone's story is different. Clearly some people hear have more charge on the addicts in their own lives that clouds their thinking about OTHER peoples' stories.
who is the boss of judging what is truth or fiction?
Who are you to tell anyone to keep their opinions to themselves? Do you think your opinion is more credible or valuable than anyone else's? Do you?
Who made you a moderator and who are you to order anyone off a thread?

blue color word should be spelled here in this instance

I know ALL about the life of an addict. Have one in my family--sure do. I know how they operate and what they will say and do for $$$$$$$$.
I will continue to use my right to voice my opinion on this and any other thread for as long as I see fit--not because you tell me to stop. Got it?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,296,876 times
Unhappy the drug culture of the 60s and 70s, so sad

I've suspected something was very wrong with Mackenzie since the late 70s. Does not suprise me at all. The 70s were such a strange time. I used to watch One Day at a Time and wonder why the show felt so full-on creepy.... and this was in 1978, when the show was actually on the air. I had a feeling about the whole thing, like I could just tell that something was really wrong. At that time the word was that Mackenzie was a drug addict, which even then was kind of shocking. A few years ago she was on a Proactiv commercial and I had the feeling again, that there was something wrong. Mackenzie has always struck me as a deeply disturbed, troubled type person. I blame the 60s and 70s and am sorry her life was ruined by such a worthless era.
As another poster mentioned her story is like the Jaycee Dugard story and is therefore timely and relevant. It's upsetting sure but people need to be aware that these types of scary life stories do happen and are real. The Duggard abductor Phillip Garrido was also a product of the 1970s drugs lifestyle. Really makes me sick.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 09-26-2009 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities