Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Excellent email app, Touchdown is.
Syncs great with the Hosted Exchange server.

I just popped the 20 bucks, dumped the other apps, and feel great about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

21 posts, read 65,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Curious, I have no appbrain app on my PC, I do everything on their website.
You're right....the appbrain app is on the phone and you use their website on the PC. Sorry to be misleading. I guess I need to proofread and see if I'm actually saying what I mean, LOL.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Ok, so what do you guys use for protecting against a lost phone? There are plenty of apps that do remote lock/ data wipe/ GPS locating. I installed Lookout last week, pretty decent features for free and doesn't require you to leave GPS on all the time for the location feature to work.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I don't really use anything.
I am signed up for Google Latitude and that actually helped me find me phone once.
Looking all over the house, can't find the phone. Login to Google on my laptop and pull up Latitude. I see it is showing at the gas station I was at earlier. Went up there and yep... left it on the counter. DOH!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ok, so what do you guys use for protecting against a lost phone? There are plenty of apps that do remote lock/ data wipe/ GPS locating. I installed Lookout last week, pretty decent features for free and doesn't require you to leave GPS on all the time for the location feature to work.
Your gonna love this...

Spoiler
Norton!

Blocks calls and sms, does location/wipe/lock

Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I use Touchdown too. It does not do everythig that I had hoped, but it is better than the E-mail system that comes withthe droid.

For games I like robo defense tower or robo tower defense.

My kids like all kinds of other games that they frequently load onto my phone when I am driving.

I love the voice dialer and the Moto speak app for the Morola H17 bluetooth.

THe navigation system is much better than my Garmin.

THe car locater does nto work at all.

I find Bar code scanner nearly useless. It take a long time to get it to focus on a bar code and then it usually misses half of the area stores when you do a price comparison.

I do not recall the name of the program, but I got a free program that allows me to use the Droid to connect a cpomputer to the internet either through a tether or through bluetooth (if your computer has bluetooth). There is no additional monthly fee, but you cannot take calls and stay online. Calls disrupt your conenction. The program is a bunch of letters (PDA NEt maybe? Not sure).

Adiko for eading books is ok. I found a nice bible app that has many different versions of the Bible along with notes and historical references.

I got a game called Revival II, but I cannto get it to work.

Mostly I like the things that come withthe phone. I have nto found any of the apps to be all that exciting. Msot of them I use for a week and then uninstall them. I do nto like the clutter on my screen.

What I woudl really like is a program that lets you remove all the useless things that come pre-installed. Ther are all kinds of things that I will never use, plus many things that I have no idea what they are. ("DLNA"" for example). The uninstaller app does nto remove them. I would love to get rid of them so I do not have to search through them for the thnigs that i use.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I use Touchdown too. It does not do everythig that I had hoped, but it is better than the E-mail system that comes withthe droid.

For games I like robo defense tower or robo tower defense.

My kids like all kinds of other games that they frequently load onto my phone when I am driving.

I love the voice dialer and the Moto speak app for the Morola H17 bluetooth.

THe navigation system is much better than my Garmin.

THe car locater does nto work at all.

I find Bar code scanner nearly useless. It take a long time to get it to focus on a bar code and then it usually misses half of the area stores when you do a price comparison.

I do not recall the name of the program, but I got a free program that allows me to use the Droid to connect a cpomputer to the internet either through a tether or through bluetooth (if your computer has bluetooth). There is no additional monthly fee, but you cannot take calls and stay online. Calls disrupt your conenction. The program is a bunch of letters (PDA NEt maybe? Not sure).

Adiko for eading books is ok. I found a nice bible app that has many different versions of the Bible along with notes and historical references.

I got a game called Revival II, but I cannto get it to work.

Mostly I like the things that come withthe phone. I have nto found any of the apps to be all that exciting. Msot of them I use for a week and then uninstall them. I do nto like the clutter on my screen.

What I woudl really like is a program that lets you remove all the useless things that come pre-installed. Ther are all kinds of things that I will never use, plus many things that I have no idea what they are. ("DLNA"" for example). The uninstaller app does nto remove them. I would love to get rid of them so I do not have to search through them for the thnigs that i use.
Agreed. Touchdown is not perfect. But I can work it. Too many clicks to find subfolders, but at least they are there.

PDANet, indeed. I haven't used it yet. Will try it when I go to the beach later this spring.

I have zxing scanner and ScanLife, with no preference for either.
Again, I haven't taken the phone out much. Couldn't get 3g or 4G in a PA visit last summer.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
If you haven't seen it the official market site >> https://market.android.com/ works awesome for browsing new apps! They install right to your phone without doing anything.

Here are some of my most used apps:

IPFob controls my home alarm system. Arm, disarm, check status and watch the system status as you test alarm points-

ipFob

ADW is a home launcher replacement, I have use Launcher Pro before too...both have things I like.

ADWLauncher EX

Superpower nearly doubled my battery life, has a few quirks though.

SuperPower XDA-BETA v0.75

TV Guide

TV Guide Mobile

SlingPlayer- $30 is too much. That said, full cable on the go is awesome. Works well over 3g and perfect over 4g. Needs an update and a channel guide.

SlingPlayer Mobile

iReader- converted all my Ebooks to txt format and read them with this. I had one reader that I like better because I could flip pages or manually drag the screen up, can't find it now though.

StumbleUpon- My favorite Firefox add on for Android. Even Lets you stumble apps

Remote Desktop Client- I use this to access my networked media server and email myself anything from home I forget.

Lightning Bug - Sleep Clock- I use this for the white noise features. Actually I sleep to a brown noise loop plus a ceiling fan loop plus a rain loop.

Alarm Clock PlusV2★- I don't have an alarm clock anymore. This is the most reliable alarm I have ever had. The vibrate plus gentle wake is the best way to wake up.

AdFree Android- easiest way to update your hosts file to block ads.

Instant Heart Rate- Incredibly accurate heart rate monitor. Uses your camera and LED flash.

No Lock- Gets rid of annoying lock screen. Has a widget so you can enable and disable it as you please.

Jorte- Best full screen calendar widget. Syncs with Google Calendar and Facebook (for birthdays).

The Weather Channel- my favorite weather widget

XiiaLive Lite - Online Radio- All the online radio you can handle. I use this and Pandora for all my music listening.

Torque (Ad Supported)- Works with a $30 OBDII bluetooth module I got off ebay. Real time status from all your car's sensors. view and reset fault codes. Very cool and wireless way to pull data from your car.

SMS Backup- backs up my sms messages to my gmail account in a folder named SMS. Works instantly and makes all my messages searchable through gmail.

ROM Manager- Easiest way to backup, restore and try out the latest greatest ROMS

XDA-Developers- XDA forum app. 'nough said.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
The new market is much better than it was, but I'll be sticking with Appbrain for now

Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Has anyone seen or heard of an app that allow you to use Pandora or other online radio through your car stereo, wirelessly? Like those FM transmitters, but using the phone alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones