Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Appointment in my calendar Jan 23rd at 9AM" Bam. Opens Calendar on that day at that time, click edit to add some details.
Beats Siri on the Apple handily.
Well, now I'm hungry to try that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Unhappy it's a pain

expanding on my earlier post (post #10), this screenshot shows the 2 attachment choices when you attempt "attach" on the gmail app
Attached Thumbnails
Samsung Galaxy Note II-2choicestoattach.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Ah. Clear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post

[color=#000000][u]anyway, if anyone knows a solution, i'd like to hear it.
Download ES FILE EXPLORER or ASTRO FILE MANAGER from the market.
Install.
These are programs that let you browse the "memory" of the phone.
After this, when you hit the ATTACH icon or button you will see ES FILE EXPLORER when it asks to CHOOSE TYPE OF ATTACHMENT. This allows you to browse for any files you want to attach.
Works on all versions of Android.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Re: "Voice Assistants"
I've tried them all.
Speak To It, Skyvi, Robin, Iris... Although I see there are a few more out now.
Honestly everyone of these pales in comparo to the Google Search that is built into Jelly Bean.
Since the Note2 has Jelly Bean, does it not? Don't bother with anything else.
"What does a weasel look like?" BAM
"What was the score of the Browns game?" BAM
"How old is Betty White?" BAM
"Appointment in my calendar Jan 23rd at 9AM" Bam. Opens Calendar on that day at that time, click edit to add some details.
Beats Siri on the Apple handily.

Confused about being unable to add a PDF or anything to an Email already composed. I have never seen a problem like that in any Android phone/tab. So is there no ATTACH button in the Gmail App for Note2?
This is what I just discovered. Althought the Voice recognition is not where close to as good as my Droid II or III whatever it was, I think it just needs time to learn. However I was amazed at what the new google system will do.

I played with Siri and this thing is what I wished Siri was but found out it was not. "Calender Donnie's Birthday Monthtember 12 all day" That is it. I do no tneed to touch anything sons birthday is calendered. It loaded infomration form Facebook for all of my firends and now when they call their facebook picture pops up. No need to put in pictures for each person. I ahve only begon to uncover the treasures this system has to offer.

The s-pen is totally useless IMO. Still it does nto hurt anythign to have it. SOmetimes I type with it if I am tired. It is more accurate than my fingers when I am totally exhausted.

Battery life is execellent.

Everyone says the speaker phone sounds great except my dad. He says he cannot hear me. On my end, the speaker phone is not loud enough.

I still frequently have trouble using it one handed. It is a bit too wide. A good bluetooth with voice commands will help. However i have nto figured out which one will do what I want. I think I need the $100 Plantronics Voyger.

Saying "wake up" to unlock the screen has never worked.

S voice - never use it. the google system is way better.

Google VR is improving. Still has a long way to go to get where I was with my old phone.

I do nto like the button you use to turn it on. It is tiny and hard to find.

I kept getting meesages sayng I had too many windows open. I did nto know what to do. I went to the Verizon booth and they showed me how to turn them off (tap the meaningless shape at the top right). Turns out Just about every internet window I have opened since I got the phone was still open. good thing I do not look at embarrassing things on the internet.

A full charge takes a long time on the charger.

I cannot find a decent geochaching app. My daughters have a eally neat one on their Windows phones. I downloaded the most popular one for Android and it deos nto really work at all. Any suggestions?

Camera is good outside, poor inside.

This thing makes a great flashlight for walking though a dark house at night.

After a week plus, no problem with the size fitting in my pockets. However if it is your front pants pocket and you get in the car, you are not getting it out of your pocket without getting back out of the car.

IT is easy to open and edit word documents with Office Suite ($5), but then I could nto E-mail it back to myself. when I tried to save it, it said I needed to instal Office Suite front package. I hope i am not paying another $5 for this. Maybe it is the same program. Still playing wiht this office suite thing. Edit: It is Fonts not front and it does cost another $5. This app may be a scam. $5 for the app, $5 for fonts, what is next?

I still need the VR ti improve a lot, but once it does, I think I will love this phone.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Office Suite? Hmm. Not familiar with that and I've tried quite a few.
Ask us before you drop any more money on programs.

This is actually one of the top office programs and it's 100% free:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=kingsoft+office

If you login in with your GMail account, you can actually install it from the website to your phone. Pretty sweet.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Oh Oh.

This morning our home internet was out. My phone tried to go through wifi if it is avialble so it kept trying to connect to hte non working wifi. It would not work, so I turned off wifi. Still woudl not connect to the internet. I tried restarting the phone but no luck. Once I left home it started working.

THen on the way to work, when I used google voice to make calls, it always said it could nto find the contact. It got the name right, and proceeded to search the person's name on the internet, but it could not get the contact to call them. Then, when I got to work, it started working.

I hope this is not a repeat of the other android problems.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM

coldj, there's a Galaxy Note 2 community with over 525 members on Google Plus. I recommend it. I'm part of it https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...89995915961678 Good luck

Old 01-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Ah. Clear now.

Download ES FILE EXPLORER
Beautiful fix!!! ~ Thanks a million. No longer do I need to go to webbased Gmail simply to attach a PDF. Woohoo!!

g8

Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,224 times
So, I picked up the Note 2 over the weekend. It's absolutely fantastic. Easily the best phone I've ever used, never mind owned. I always cherished the freedom afforded by Android (do what you want with your phone). The last phone I had (Droid Charge) was buggy, had terrible battery life, and generally wasn't very good. The Note 2 just works. It helps that I'm very comfortable with Android, but I think Jellybean is the most user friendly version of the OS that has yet come out. It's a huge leap forward for Google. The hardware specs on this phone are some of the best in the industry. A quad-core processor and 2 gigs of ram really set it apart. My old phone (Droid Charge) wasn't really fast enough to keep up with the newer Android system and app releases, but the Note 2 loads things instantaneously, with no glitches (as of yet). The phone has a gyroscope, AND a surprisingly accurate barometer (how many phones have a freaking barometer?). The screen looks beautiful, but it does make the phone big. I have big hands, and can use it one handed, but for smaller people I imagine it could be an issue. Overall, this phone is amazing. The size would certainly be off-putting to some, and I can certainly see why somebody would prefer to go the route of a smaller phone + tablet, but for me, this is a perfect compromise.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM

There is still some bugginess. Youwill find it in time. However I do agree this is the best phone I have ever used. Of course it is not just a phone. It is a phablet. There is very little difference between this and my netbook except the keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones