Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times

Advertisements

Asking this question for my parents. They both have iPhones (4), hardly use them, but want to keep them (ok, my mom wants hers, my dad wants a flip phone!). Their contract is long expired, but they need to keep ATT service. I was going to switch them to Straight talk, but now that straight talk is no longer selling ATT sims, I think they'll want to stay on contract.
Since they are essentially paying for new phones being on contract, can my mom get a new smart phone, since she'll be paying a smart phone fee anyhow with her iPhone, and sell the new phone? My dad wants a flip phone, so I don't think he'd benefit by getting and paying for a new smartphone. I don't know what their current plan is costing them, but I thought they'd benefit by selling a new Galaxy or iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
The post is kind of confusing. You first say their contract is long expired but then say they are on contract paying for new phones (the iPhones that were already paid off?)

Once the contract has expired, they are month to month on ATT and can leave any time they want if they chose. The service still continues and is just month to month with the same rates they were paying when they did have a contract. So in some ways it would be senseless to re-new a contract for two years when you dont have one anymore in the first place for the sake of newer phones.

If its just different phones, you can just buy the phones via Amazon without a contract and remain free from any contract. Just pop the existing SIM into the new phone. With a flip phone, its slim pickens these days, so he might be forced to go to the used market anyway for one.

The solution you were talking about: They get a two year contract, new phones and yes, you could sell the new and old phones.
Just remember to factory reset all the used phones before selling.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
Sorry the post was confusing....

I guess what I mean, is that if they're paying the same price as if they were still on contract, and they want to keep ATT, is there any reason they can't get new phones---1 flip phone for my dad, he could sell his old phone (no problem there, of course) and an new phone for my mom, but she can keep her iPhone that she likes (she pretty much just talks on it, but likes the camera, and the screen to see the names she's calling), and make some money by selling "her" new phone.
I hope this makes more sense!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I don't see why not. You can use whatever device you want on AT&T (as long as it's compatible with their network, but that's not an issue in this case).

Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Seems like a lot of work to me just to make a few bucks. You want to pay $200 for a new phone, and then sell it. You might double your money by selling on iPhone5 on Ebay but is it really worth all that for $200??
//edit//
I mean I suppose it is... $200 is $200...

Keep in mind, too, that your mom will be stuck with her 4 for at least 2 more years.
Who knows what battery life will be like on a 4 year old iPhone.
IMO: Get a 4S for $99 and sell the 4 if in good condition for $100-$150...

Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
It still seems to be up in the air as to whether the AT&T sims are gone from StraightTalk permanently or not. Walmart still has them listed on their website (although out of stock) You can still get them on ebay and Amazon, but at inflated prices. I was planning on switching when my AT&T contract expired in December so hopefully they will return.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Just a heads up, Wall-Mart has AT&T sims back in stock.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
The phone company is really interested in your contract. The phones that are free w/contract are usually an older model or just a really good deal if you got it free w/contract. That said, you can go ahead and sell it if you wish. Just remember, you will be stuck with the phone you have for 2 years, unless you pay for another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones