Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times

Advertisements

Long story short. My wife and I have two phones (Samsung Stratosphere) and 6 months left on our current contract with Verizon. She dropped hers, the screen shattered and it no long works.

I contacted Verizon to see about getting (buying) a phone to use to finish out the contract. They sell certified preowned strats for $49, but they want a two year contract. I understand they wouldn't want to sell the phone at a discounted price without a guaranteed 2 year deal, but my wife hates the phone and wants an iPhone.....please, no debates about that, this isn't what that's about. I prefer my Strat and upgrade to a Galaxy in 6 months....but that's beside the point.

Anyway, every angle I tried was a dead end. They want to sell me an iPhone 5 with a new 2 year deal for $300. I figure we can get a better deal when the contract is up, so.....

How feasible it to get a phone (probably a stratosphere) off of ebay or other seller, and have it replace the phone that is currently on the contract so we can go through with the original plan? Or, if you have any other suggestions feel free...I'm sure I'm overlooking an option...

Last edited by dbbd; 07-01-2013 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
There is no price difference if you do an early upgrade vs. waiting for your contract to end. Those days are over.

You can buy a Verizon handset and activate with her existing mobile #. Remember that it must be a Verizon branded phone and cannot be from any other carrier. This would not create a contract extension.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
There is no price difference if you do an early upgrade vs. waiting for your contract to end. Those days are over. .
That's pretty much what the rep tried to explain to me....I take it to mean a $300 phone now will be $300 later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You can buy a Verizon handset and activate with her existing mobile #. Remember that it must be a Verizon branded phone and cannot be from any other carrier. This would not create a contract extension.
So, just make sure it's a Verizon phone (logo on top), transfer SIM card and Data card over and activate. Then in 6 months I'm no longer obligated to Verizon? That's basically what I'm after, I figure people do that stuff all the time...I just never have or how exactly to go about doing it. I had just convinced her to hold off 6 months so we can work a deal to get her the phone she wants in December when the contract was up. Hmmm...maybe it wasn't an accident.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 AM

You were correct but keep in mind that I was referring to buying a phone not directly from Verizon. I mean that you buy from another source without starting a new line of service.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
she can open up a new line and get the discount on a new phone and swap the phone numbers around and it won't effect the contract dates and she can suspend the broken phone with NO billing for 180 days but she NEEDS to call in every 90 days to re suspend the old line as it will automaticly reconnect

Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I have sold several phones on Craigslist, and the buyers did just fine with them.

You may even be able to pick up the iPhone there.

IF you buy via Craigslist, make the seller meet you at the Verizon store, and check the ESN before handing over the cash. If they did not pay their bill, the phone will be a brick.
You will pay a bit more for most phones on Craigslist, because that market functions specifically for people who have poor credit and cannot get a subsidized phone from a carrier.

I bought a Treo on EBay several years ago, and in hindsight I was lucky. Got an honest seller. I likely would have had no real recourse if he had sold me a brick.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM

20 posts, read 58,646 times
You should consider getting an unlocked phone off of Ebay. That way it will be off contract and you can use it month to month.

samsung stratosphere in Cell Phones & Smartphones | eBay

You can get some pretty good phones off of ebay for under $300, and some decent phones under $200

Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
I was at Staples the other day and they had very inexpensive prepaid Verizon phones which should work, so buy one and then call Verizon and tell them you have one of these prepaids that you got as a gift and see what they say and if they refuse then you can always return it. I had done the same with Tmobile and they never had an issue with it.
Verizon Wireless Samsung Gusto
Verizon Wireless Samsung Intensity
Verizon Wireless LG Extravert

Old 07-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokeo View Post
You should consider getting an unlocked phone off of Ebay.
Verizon does not use "unlocked" phones like GSM carriers (T-mobile/At&t). Verizon will not activate a non-branded Verizon phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones