Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

I have the Nokia 1520 with ATT.
Just got the Denim update, and it sped the phone up noticeably.
The hardware is great, and apps are slowly coming.
Overall, I am very pleased with the phone. And, it will take something to get me away from the Windows OS.

I have always looked at smartphones as a 2 year device, partially due to durability and partially due to advances in development. Now, I am 15 months in on this one. Usually, I start to get the itch at this point for the next step, the New and Improved. And, when I had Android phones, I was always rewarded when upgrading. But, right now, I'm not feeling it.
What will be the next compelling, groundbreaking phone/feature/software that will make me want to upgrade at the end of 2015?

Waterproof? Meh.
Thinner and lighter? Doesn't matter much to me.
It seems like the processor and memory are quite adequate, and the camera works fine for me..

So....? What do you see as the Next Big Thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
In Windows, it will be Universal Apps (apps that run on the PC, tablet, and phone), and Windows 10 (Phone 10).

I'm in the Android camp, so I haven't payed much attention to what's coming down the pipeline in the phone version of 10, but that's where you should investigate if you want to see what's coming.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
In Windows, it will be Universal Apps (apps that run on the PC, tablet, and phone), and Windows 10 (Phone 10).

I'm in the Android camp, so I haven't payed much attention to what's coming down the pipeline in the phone version of 10, but that's where you should investigate if you want to see what's coming.
Yep.
I am pretty charged up about W10, for all platforms.
It seems like Nadella is trying to get MSFT a bit more nimble. More power to him.

And, I think my 1520 will handle whatever W10 brings to me, too. Might own a phone for 3 years, for once!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Wireless Charging which every Android phone will have from here on out.
Apple will get that in 2 or 3 years.
I don't know how Waterproof can be a: meh. It's lame to me that not all phones have this yet. I was using my phone just yesterday in a pretty good snow storm... snowflakes landing all over my phone. I don't care. Snow all you want on my phone. It can take it. Meanwhile I know people who put their phones in baggies if they plan to be using it in inclement weather. Yea... I refuse to be that guy. lol

Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wireless Charging which every Android phone will have from here on out.
Apple will get that in 2 or 3 years.
I don't know how Waterproof can be a: meh. It's lame to me that not all phones have this yet. I was using my phone just yesterday in a pretty good snow storm... snowflakes landing all over my phone. I don't care. Snow all you want on my phone. It can take it. Meanwhile I know people who put their phones in baggies if they plan to be using it in inclement weather. Yea... I refuse to be that guy. lol
Meh vs. compelling.
It would certainly be a positive, but not compelling to me.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You have all the flagships coming out this year: Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, LG G4, HTC One M9, Apple iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, Moto X 2015, Nexus 7(?), and so on. These devices will all be around the same price unlocked or subsidized. I don't follows windows phones much but Windows 10 is definitely intriguing to me and I will be looking at the new phones released when Windows 10 comes out.

To me the intriguing phone of the year is the Asus ZenFone 2. It will be $199 unlocked and it appears to be a powerhouse. May not be AS great as the flagships but at that price they will certainly stir up the market. I plan on getting one when it becomes available. Who knows when it will be available and then available in the US.

Phones - ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML) - ASUS

Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
i think dlna-mirroring to a large screen will be ubiquitous. essentially the fone will be like a portable computer tower. most fones are already capable of blu-tooth mouse and keyboard as well as usb-otg for connecting flash drives.

maybe fonebloks/project aura will become mainstream.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:07 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Default Digital buying and selling across currencies

Honest, I think digital buying and selling across different currencies will be the next huge smart phone app. The problem of too many currencies, and the physical problems of issuing billion of banknotes, and hundreds of billions of coins, coupled with problems of counterfeiting which drives the development of replacement banknotes is overwhelming.

Look at the minor currencies of the European Union alone. There is over a trillion euros of euro banknotes and coins. The total amount circulating of the minor currencies is very small (with the exception of the British Pound).

92.1 € billions British Pound 1,436 € Per Capita
31.3 € billions Polish złoty 813 € Per Capita
26.3 € billions Romanian leu 1,317 € Per Capita
16.9 € billions Czech koruna 1,607 € Per Capita
11.9 € billions Hungarian forint 1,202 € Per Capita
8.8 € billions Danish krone 1,576 € Per Capita
8.6 € billions Swedish krona 893 € Per Capita
8.2 € billions Croatian kuna 1,938 € Per Capita
5.2 € billions Bulgarian lev 720 € Per Capita

Using smartphones to buy and sell instead of banknotes and coins will aid in pricing items in Euros. It will protect small businesses and individuals from robbery as they will not have to keep change drawers

In the USA we can buy and sell with our Mexican and Canadian neighbors without having to resort to outrageous fees or credit cards.

Even without foreign exchange small businesses in the USA should be able to rely solely on credit cards and smart phone transactions. They will be rewarded with a much safer work environment, and substantial reduction in insurance payments as they are a much less likely target for thieves.

Ecuador (which has used the US dollar since 2000) is highly motivated and will put a great deal of effort into comverting most buying and selling into smart phone exchanges. The per capita GDP is about $16 per day, so much of the population uses coins minted in Ecuador (including a dollar coin). But banknotes have to be collected by the government and exchanged for new ones in the USA. So the government would save significant costs if most people would switch to digital currency.

Image from BBC

Last edited by PacoMartin; 03-03-2015 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
There will be a flashing message that you won't be able to delete that says 'You are addicted- use more minutes-use more gigs'

Old 03-04-2015, 10:53 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
what apps are coming? because i've seen nothing. In fact, the apps i've used the most are disappearing. snapchat is gone, bank of america is pulling their app. . .etc. . .

NO ONE is developing for WP. The store is full of useless "apps".

I've been using an iphone 5 on the side now since last summer because we use a program at the office that isn't compatible with WP.

I noticed myself slowly using it more and more and now to the point where i barely use my WP, and now when i do use my WP, its just a source of frustration in all of the things it can't do well. And now microsoft has published their apps to the itunes store, and those versions are superior to what we get on WP. And not just the microsoft apps, but every iphone version of an app is superior to what i have on WP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones