Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

I have my mom and dad on my EDGE plan. We have 12GB of data and unlimited talk and test for around $160/month for three users. You have to "finance" the phones initially, at the cost of the phone/20 interest free, but you can pay the phone off on the first month if you want. Once the phone is paid for, you go back to just the plan plus the per line fee. I think it's an excellent deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:06 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Somebody needs needs to visit Verizon's website and see their new price structure. Att and Verizon are somewhat less expensive than they were a year ago.
I did. I got my bill for one phone reduced from around $115 to $92 (after taxes, fees, etc...). The other poster is using two phones. The phone we have was purchased from Verizon, but is paid off now.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are you sure about that price? From my experience the monthly cost would be closer to $160 and up. How are you getting it so cheaply?
Verizon reduced prices for high end data use considerably a few months ago. On the other hand they eliminated some cheaper options.

Verizon's cheapest postpaid smart phone options are $50 for one phone or $70 for two phones (+ taxes and fees). They still have a budget option for $25 for a flip phone (700 daytime minutes per month) with no data. They have not prohibited 3G phones, but there is no financial incentive to get them. If you want to use a 3G smartphone there are Verizon network MVNO's like Total Wireless.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:14 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Verizon reduced prices for high end data use considerably a few months ago. On the other hand they eliminated some cheaper options.

Verizon's cheapest postpaid smart phone options are $50 for one phone or $70 for two phones (+ taxes and fees). They still have a budget option for $25 for a flip phone (700 daytime minutes per month) with no data. They have not prohibited 3G phones, but there is no financial incentive to get them. If you want to use a 3G smartphone there are Verizon network MVNO's like Total Wireless.
Actually. I think he's getting them at that price because of the shared data plan. Our on phone costs almost as much as his two phones. I had incorrectly assumed two phones would nearly double the price. I know they reduced the prices. We already took advantage of that offer..

Old 10-31-2015, 10:21 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,672,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are you sure about that price? From my experience the monthly cost would be closer to $160 and up. How are you getting it so cheaply?
Thank T-Mobile and thank the FTC for blocking AT&T and Sprint from buying them out. T-Mobile has upped their game and upped their network performance (and they're vastly expanding coverage right now), without seriously increasing their prices. They're adding a lot of customers and Verizon is responding to its competition.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Cricket offers 2.5 GB, plus text, messaging, picture and some WiFi spots for $35. I have a Verizon and AT&T Tracfones with triple minutes and unlimited everything. A 30 minute plan will get you 90 minutes. But. If you don't refill when due it's messy to get reconnected. I bought 2 of the TracFone LG phones and did not like either.

I was fooling around on Overstock the other day and wound up buying a Blu Studio XL Great Design Android Smartphone that rides on AT&T. It's a 3G phone -- (which is important to me as I live in a 3G/WiFi area) ---that takes up to 2 SIM cards and it is unlocked. This Blu Studio phone is nearly identical to the Samsung Galaxy MEGA. On Cricket you can literally have Cricket on one SIM and Straight Talk on the other. It will cost you $75. You can then get a decent flip at Tracfone for $20. Your initial minues will cost you $30.

The Bottom Line: It will be hard to get under $105 monthly for two phones and three carriers after the initialization for all three are paid and the and SIM costs are purchased. The SIMS cost any where from 99 cents to tweety bucks per each - depending upon the seller. .

To keep costs down be patient and choose wisely as you can find hidden gems. Don't use the cell phone to watch a ballgame or a movie to keep your cost down.

Enjoy life. Santa is warming up his sleigh.... Ho, ho, ho!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
If the OP spends a lot of time in very rural areas that only have 1 provider, the OP may need Verizon. It'll never be the cheapest network, because its customers are subsidizing the extra coverage that none of the others have. That's why, it'll never be the most frugal choice.

It sounds like the OP is resigned to this notion and is just trying to make it a more frugal choice that it is under his current plan.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:57 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
How much could one conceivably save per year by going to Best Buy or Walmar5 and buying an unlocked phone should you decide to go with Verizon or AT&T?

Old 11-04-2015, 01:26 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
The cost of the phone on their payment plans. $20-$30/month.
If I understand you correctly.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
I figured I'd post here and update everyone with information that with 6 GB of shared data and with two phones being activated at $20 each since they are smart phones the Verizon bill would be about 100-115 at most with taxes a month.
One way to think about the cost is to ask what it would cost if you got individual plans at Verizon.
As you said it costs 2*$20+$60=$100 for a plan that gives you unlimited talk and text and 6 GB to share.
An individual plan at 3 GB would cost you $20+$35=$55 apiece or $110 for two. So you are saving $10 to share a plan plus you have the option of giving your spouse some data if they have an intense project.

You are probably familiar with this concept as a married man, as you probably share a closet where you get 20% of the space.

Getting More for your Money
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/
Page Plus Cellular is a Verizon MVNO, so you would still have the same coverage. There $55/month plan gives you 5 GB apiece, and then unlimited 2G data.

Getting A Little Less Service for A Lot Less Money
http://sale.totalwireless.com/?utm_source=IMM&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DR&utm _content=google-mobile&utm_term={keyword}
Total Wireless is another Verizon MVNO gives you 2 phones and 5 GB of data (and additional 1.5 GB for $10) but the big catch is you must use a 3G phone. Your wife may not like the idea, but it does not mean resorting to a flip phone.

The bottom line is that cellular data is expensive. According to some calculations it is 40 times the price of home wifi data. Home wifi systems at 25 Mbps often start at $29.99 per mo. and if they have a cap at all it is usually 300 Gb per month. If you look around, there is often free wifi all around you.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-04-2015 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones