Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times

Advertisements

I used to really like my iPhones 3 and 4 but once my iPhone 5c fails ( having some problems now) , I will most likely jump full time to an android phone. It's hard for me to justify spending so much money on a device that has a service life of only a few years. When I upgraded the software on my iPhone 5c, apps stop working right and the phone functions seem sluggish etc. Apple doing away with the headphone jack pretty much made my mind up to jump ship. Same with computers and tablets. We have several thousand dollars worth of Apple products that are becoming paperweights as time goes on. Spending $1200 on a laptop or $500 on a tablet just doesn't sit well with me anymore. Android/ Google is my new direction. At least I can afford to replace them if I'm no longer satisfied.

Last edited by skugelstadt; 03-17-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:45 AM

252 posts, read 358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There also are numerous apps one can use to record phone, or conversations around you. Apple has some voice recording apps that are free, but others apps are quite cheap:
I appreciate your time & the links (I checked them out ). As an Apple user you probably aren't aware... all these iphone recorders work by making another phone call, then you must merge the calls... it's a work-around to get by the Apple police... versus
Android (it's ur phone, do what u want) apps - automatically record calls (choose incoming, outgoing or selected contacts).
I'll probably jailbreak my iphone and see how that goes.

Mr_Geek, Thank you !!!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
I had wireless charging in 2009 with my Palm Pre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Pre

Quote:
The Pre can be charged either using the supplied MicroUSB cable, or by using an optional accessory for wireless charging using an electromagnetic induction charging dock, dubbed the "Touchstone Charger."
Samsung and LG now have wireless charging.

Why does Apple STILL not have it? Honestly, Apple touts their "innovation," so why didn't they have it years ago?

My wife has an iPhone 7, and it's a good phone, but there is nothing special or innovative about it. I really think the game-changing ideas at Apple died with Steve Jobs.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I had wireless charging in 2009 with my Palm Pre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Pre

Samsung and LG now have wireless charging.

Why does Apple STILL not have it? Honestly, Apple touts their "innovation," so why didn't they have it years ago?

My wife has an iPhone 7, and it's a good phone, but there is nothing special or innovative about it. I really think the game-changing ideas at Apple died with Steve Jobs.
apples innovation is that everything worx so well integrated with each other (especially with other idevices -- vertical integration) and their devices and pc's do look nice and futuristic. they have never been bleeding-edge like other cellular smart-telefone manufacturers.

i remember during the ifone 3gs days there needed to be a firmware update to allow mms messaging. a few of my friends couldnt attach pictures to texts or reply to 5 people at a time (they had to copy-pasta the same message 5 times).

and then the confusion with the ifone-4g which didnt even have 4g wimax/lte connectivity.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Here are the list of bad Apple issues:

TouchID, they promote TouchID being a big feature. Why do I have to enter the passcode every day in the morning even though I have touchID enabled and works everyday until morning time. What's the point of touchID when I have to use passcode to unlock the phone. It turns out to be a government issue, they do not want touchID enabled 100% they want a chance for them to hack into your iPhone with the passcode in case the criminal is dead.

Android phones I can use finger unlock everyday, anytime with no issue.

Music files are easy drag and drop and manage whichever way and use any music player you want. Apple's Music player annoys you every time with the Apple Music subscription banner and doesn't support all types of music files and very difficult to manage music files with iTunes.

Web Browsing with Safari, constantly have to fight the toolbar and book marks bar, why can't it be clean and simple like Chrome? The lack of a back button on iPhones forces you to go up top to hit back often a huge inconvenience in one hand mode.

Managing iPhone desktop has to be the most work, I spend so much time moving things around and putting things in folders. On Android, the App locker has so many ways to sort, organize, and easily find the app and launch.

The lack of real Widgets on iPhones is what set it back vs Android. It doesn't have free floating and pinnable widgets that gives you instant access to email or music player. Everything you do you have to swipe or click to launch stuff on iPhone it is a very archaic way of using a smart phone.

Did I mention that Siri is now getting old and suffering dimentia? Google Now is way smarter.

Last edited by vision33r; 03-21-2017 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Here are the list of bad Apple issues:

TouchID, they promote TouchID being a big feature. Why do I have to enter the passcode every day in the morning even though I have touchID enabled and works everyday until morning time. What's the point of touchID when I have to use passcode to unlock the phone. It turns out to be a government issue, they do not want touchID enabled 100% they want a chance for them to hack into your iPhone with the passcode in case the criminal is dead.
I don't have to enter the password everyday. Maybe you're turning the phone off at night? It requires the password after turning it off and then on again. It has always been that way. If you don't turn it off, the Touch ID will work.

Quote:
Web Browsing with Safari, constantly have to fight the toolbar and book marks bar, why can't it be clean and simple like Chrome? The lack of a back button on iPhones forces you to go up top to hit back often a huge inconvenience in one hand mode.
Oh, poor baby! It's so difficult! I'm so sorry that they made it so hard for you. Did you know that you could swipe from left to right to go back a page in Safari?

Quote:

The lack of real Widgets on iPhones is what set it back vs Android. It doesn't have free floating and pinnable widgets that gives you instant access to email or music player. Everything you do you have to swipe or click to launch stuff on iPhone it is a very archaic way of using a smart phone.
Swiping and clicking is archaic?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't have to enter the password everyday. Maybe you're turning the phone off at night? It requires the password after turning it off and then on again. It has always been that way. If you don't turn it off, the Touch ID will work.

Oh, poor baby! It's so difficult! I'm so sorry that they made it so hard for you. Did you know that you could swipe from left to right to go back a page in Safari?
+1's (first-world-problems)
Quote:
Swiping and clicking is archaic?
ios does look kinda' poor compared to most android/cyanogenmod home-screen app-launchers because of lack of widgets and not being able to place icons spread out on whatever home-screen you want (kinda' like a desktop computer).

Old 03-22-2017, 09:18 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
+1's (first-world-problems)

ios does look kinda' poor compared to most android/cyanogenmod home-screen app-launchers because of lack of widgets and not being able to place icons spread out on whatever home-screen you want (kinda' like a desktop computer).
I don't disagree. It would be nice if they redesigned it, but it does work okay as it is.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/05...touch-id-rule/

The TouchID problem is for iOS device that are not unlocked after a certain time. If you have your phone on charge overnight, it will require you to unlock by passcode. Why bother having TouchID? If they require Passcode all the time that could be circumvented, TouchID is just a convenience feature not a security one. I except end to end TouchID security but, Apple decided that you can unlock with the passcode which is how hackers broke in many times.

The problem does not exist on Android. I hardly ever get challenged for passcode except for permissions.

If Apple doesn't do anything new to iOS, Samsung S8 will beat the iPhone 7 in performance as benchmarks already show it is faster in everything except for single-core performance.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Apple’s new Touch ID rule requires you to enter passcode more often than before

The TouchID problem is for iOS device that are not unlocked after a certain time. If you have your phone on charge overnight, it will require you to unlock by passcode. Why bother having TouchID? If they require Passcode all the time that could be circumvented, TouchID is just a convenience feature not a security one. I except end to end TouchID security but, Apple decided that you can unlock with the passcode which is how hackers broke in many times.

The problem does not exist on Android. I hardly ever get challenged for passcode except for permissions.

If Apple doesn't do anything new to iOS, Samsung S8 will beat the iPhone 7 in performance as benchmarks already show it is faster in everything except for single-core performance.
Never had this happen with my iPhone 6.

Gee, the next generation Samsung beats out the current generation Apple.

I didn't realize the S8 was already out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones