Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM

262 posts, read 1,042,762 times

Advertisements

Ehh I take it back, they are about $700 right now since they just came out, but it will go down soon like all new cell phones that get overpriced due to supply and demand. You can use it for any plan you want, down to the lowest plans offered from whatever company you want, since it supports both CDMA and GSM, I think it has 6 bands total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
OK, then: What is the "deflated" price of the fancy toy, plus service for it?
iPhone is only 199 dollars with a 2 year contract.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
iPhone is only 199 dollars with a 2 year contract.
How much is the required monthly service, and how many carriers is it available with, and can you use it anywhere in the world?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
How much is the required monthly service, and how many carriers is it available with, and can you use it anywhere in the world?
The service can be expensive, at least in Alaska. A friend of mine pays around $86.00 per month, but that includes internet and everything else. No idea if the coverage is for all over the world.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Ehh I take it back, they are about $700 right now since they just came out, but it will go down soon like all new cell phones that get overpriced due to supply and demand. You can use it for any plan you want, down to the lowest plans offered from whatever company you want, since it supports both CDMA and GSM, I think it has 6 bands total.
The SP will probably charge around $100.00 per month for service, I assume. With time, as more and more service providers join-in, the service will drop in price.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
only with AT&T in the US, you can use it anywhere.
monthly? well how many minutes do you want.
I think the cheapest is 70 dollars.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
The iphone requires a $30/month data plan. That's for unlimited data and a small number of text messages. Airtime is billed like any other phone - the more you use, the more you will pay. People talking about $100/month service plans for the iphone are including the 60 or 70 a month you would pay for minutes with any phone, smartphone or not. I think the iphone's data package is competitively priced, as it seems to be in line with data packes for similar devices.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
I don't recall any text messages being included in the data plan, but $30 is correct. It used to be $20, when the cost of the phone was higher, but $30 seems to be the going rate for other SmartPhones offered by AT&T. AT&T doesn't let you drop the data plan during the life of your iPhone, should you want to do that for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
The iphone requires a $30/month data plan. That's for unlimited data and a small number of text messages. Airtime is billed like any other phone - the more you use, the more you will pay. People talking about $100/month service plans for the iphone are including the 60 or 70 a month you would pay for minutes with any phone, smartphone or not. I think the iphone's data package is competitively priced, as it seems to be in line with data packes for similar devices.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 AM

So what is the REAL price of the iPhone, if you buy it without being forced into a 2 year contract? Also, many of us don't want a required data plan, I am content with using wifi when it's available. You can check the weather, sports scores, and other things by text messaging anyway. When you take all of these added costs into consideration, the HTC is not much more money, and for a much better product.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
"Many of us don't want a required data plan."

How do you propose to use a smartphone, then? Last time I checked you couldn't receive email through a text message. Maybe you should get a cheap laptop or an ipod touch for when you're in a wifi spot and buy a no-frills phone - it sounds like that's more up your alley. Seems to me that the cost of an HTC touch plus a 16 gig memory card is close to $900 before tax. That's triple the cost of an iphone, and you still have to sign up with a carrier, enter into a contract, and pay for a data plan if you want to use it for its intended purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones