Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 98,000 times

Advertisements

I'm from Toronto, going to school in Buffalo...

Does anyone know of any cell phone plans that provide unlimited long distance to Canada? Or a plan that includes the roaming charges when I visit Canada?
Does anyone know of any alternative options?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Verizon has a Nationwide + Canada plan. It's generally more expensive than other plans, 450 mins is $59.99/month. And it also caps your Night and Weekend and Mobile-to-Mobile minutes at 1000. This one sounds like your best bet to me. As a student from Canada, they may want a hefty deposit before activating your account so that may be something to prepare for.

AT&T also has international roaming capabilities, but I can't find anything on their website that says anything other than, 'please call us to discuss your options for international roaming.' So take that for what it's worth.

Alltel has a North American Freedom plan, but they don't natively cover Buffalo so you wouldn't be able to sign up with them.

As for alternative options, the only thing I can think of is one phone line through an American provider that you can use in the states and another phone line through a Canadian provider that you can use in Canada... If you don't spend a lot of time in Canada as a current Grad Student, I would think that Canadian providers have some sort of pre-pay based on the minutes you use.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 AM

8 posts, read 98,000 times
Thanks for your reply!

What type of land line companies do you have Buffalo? I was thinking of getting a landline with unlimited long distance home AND then have a cell phone for local calls.

anyone know about companies/plans where you call a local number and then dial in the long distance number? (like a calling card without having to purchase cards over and over, more of a annual enrollment/fee)

does anyone use SKYPE?
If so, how well does it work? do you have a phone number or is it only outgoing calls? I would rather speak with a customer service rep than look through their website (which I didn't find much help anyways)

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

anyone know about companies/plans where you call a local number and then dial in the long distance number?

Try USA DATANET -- I've used them for years. They have a long distance number that you can connect to by dialing a phone number first. It's really cheap and the company is nice. I think they're located around Syracuse.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 29,943 times
Default Skype

I use skype all the time to talk to my boyfriend in Beligum. It works great if you have fast internet. On dial-up it is pretty lame. The awesome thing is for him to call a US landline or cell phone is only $.02/minute, so that is a great option too. The restricion is that one party needs to be near a computer to use it, but other than that it's fantastic!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:10 PM

21 posts, read 114,077 times
here is a site that should be great for and many others-- i use this service . ONESUITE.COM try it

Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 40,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillthen View Post
here is a site that should be great for and many others-- i use this service . ONESUITE.COM try it
We use Onesuite.com services too and we are loving it!

Just see how much you can save when roaming in Canada or another country -> http://www.onesuite.com/comparisons_roaming.asp

Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 AM

13 posts, read 62,911 times
Another vote for Onesuite. Great for long distance especially for overseas calls.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 25,609 times
Default Avoid AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad student View Post
I'm from Toronto, going to school in Buffalo...

Does anyone know of any cell phone plans that provide unlimited long distance to Canada? Or a plan that includes the roaming charges when I visit Canada?
Does anyone know of any alternative options?

Thanks for your help!
Don't trust AT&T! I have been a loyal cell phone customer of AT&T for seven years. I had the US + Canada plan with 450 prime time minutes and 1000 weekend and evenings for $59.00 per month. Their frequent mailings promised a savings if I would bundle my home phone and cell phone service. When I called AT&T, I was told the same cell phone plan would be $39.99 per month plus $4.99 per month for Canada if I added by home phone. This quote was a savings of $15.00 per month on my cell phone (no savings on my land line), so I agreed. Once the first bill arrived I was shocked to see that I was paying $4.99 per month plus $.79 per minute for Canadian calls. When I called to ask for my original plan back (with a hold time of thirty minutes), I was told that my original plan was no longer available. I feel that they lied to me so I would drop the original plan.
Needless to say, I'm shopping for a new plan.

Lied to in Tennessee

Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM

30 posts, read 143,805 times
Skype is the way to go Honey http://www.picturehoster.org/storage/461.jpg (broken link) Good Luck though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones