Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times

Advertisements

I am debating on whethe or not to get the Iphone 3GS. My service is with ATT, and I am wondering if people can tell me about the strengths and limitations of this Iphone. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
I think the iPhone is still the best smartphone out there, the form factor is excellent, the interface is great, and the iTunes integration and App Store are the best on the market. The biggest limitations are its battery life, but as long as you can plug in during the day its not an issue. I bought an extra cable for charging while at work, so when I'm at my desk it can charge. As the upgrade cycle the iPhone has been on, its due for an update in early to mid 2010, most likely a speed increase, so maybe you want to wait and see what develops.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
I recently got one and I call it a TOOL with phone capabilities! It is the best "TOOL" I ever got. I have to travel a lot with the job I have and got the free apps that allow me to book a hotel room, the GPS, the weather channel so I can keep a eye on the weather where I am headed.. It is just a wonderful "TOOL" to have. This has replaced my bulky GPS, my mp3 player, my camera and will save me a lot of room in my suitcase. I can get my email while gone without having to hook up my laptop.. I LOVE it!

I found it easy to Learn how to use and do things on. I have learned to make my own ringtones for it from music on my computer so I have assigned ringtones to those in my phone book that tells me who is calling before I even look at the phone. Now I am trying to learn how to put my You Tube video's on it.

I have the 3G S, already have over 300 songs on it and made over 50 ringtones that are on it.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
The iPhone is still the best phone around. It's more or less a small computer that makes calls. The touch interface is so far and away better on the iPhone than other touch phones. It's very responsive (other phones tend to have a latency when you scroll pages) and it knows exactly what you're intending to press even if you're slightly off.

Drawbacks are really only the battery life. The 3GS has a lot of horsepower for a phone and so it's battery life suffers. Mine won't make it through the day if I use it a lot. Forget about using GPS if you don't have a car charger. That REALLY sucks away your battery (it takes maybe 30 seconds for your battery to go from 99% to 98% and so forth when using GPS). Definitely invest in a car charger or a second dock cable for it. Another (minor) drawback might be lack of tactile feedback when typing but it's very minor and from what I understand, Apple will be adding that soon anyway.
Most of the drawbacks are actually with the AT&T network. Don't venture out of the metropolitan area if you want 3G coverage.

In the end, I couldn't give you a higher recommendation for this thing. It's probably up there as one of the best items I've ever purchaced period. Once you buy it and start using it a lot you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times
I definitely appreciate the feedback. I also need to use the phone for business. Many people have told me that the IPhone is good for Apps, but bad if I need to do business (e.g., powerpoint, excel, email, etc). An overwhelming majority of people are now telling me that I should go for another phone if I want a business phone. Some alternative suggestions that have been thrown out have been either the HTC Tilt2 or the Blackberry. Any thoughts on that?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
To conserve battery power, turn off things you don't need at the moment. For example, if you don't need WIFI, turn that off.

Just do as what these folks do for theirs:
//www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...e-battery.html

Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Syncing photos is a hassle. You can pull photos off easy when connected by USB, but...

...adding photos requires you to use iTunes. It is the only way to get them to the iPhone Photo Library. Once they are on the iPhone, the only way to delete them is by syncing to iTunes again. The best method I have found is to create a picture folder just for iTunes on the PC, and add / delete as needed. It is a hassle.

There are other apps that allow file transfer files and photos via wifi; the problem is they don't put the pictures in the Photo Library - they put them in their own folder. If you want to send them via MMS, pictures have to be in the iPhone photo library.

They should have either put a microSD card, or they need to change the firmware to allow transfer in both directions. It seems like a minor point, but the iPhone is basically a small PC. Why one can't transfer via USB is beyond me. Apple does some things amazingly well, and then it does some things that make me wonder how they survive as a company.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
The sync cable still baffles me. The iPhone fits perfectly in a shirt pocket. Perfect design. Slim, smooth, and lightweight. But....the iPhone has the standard iPod sync cable - it is about an inch wide compared to the MicroUSB used on just about every other phone. If you drop the phone in your pocket, watch for dryer lint. Just about every shirt pocket has lint in it. In short order, your cable port will fill up with lint, and your cable will not fit. When this happens, DO NOT use anything other than compressed air to get it out.

The iPhone does not have a built-in cover for the port. You can of course by an expensive after-market cover or case, but most of them do not cover the sync port.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,787 times
there is nothing that i do not like about the iphone, it does everything if not more that i want, i currently have the 3g. its a charm, at first i did not want to give in, then i jumped on to the bandwagon and fell in love with it!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones