Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 AM

255 posts, read 610,156 times

Advertisements

Kingstree is about 45 minutes west of Georgetown. And I happen to disagree with you that Kingstree is absoultely nothing. Kingstree has many amenities just like any other city and our city has extremely low crime rate compare to other cities that are near Charleston. We are also known as the BBQ capital of SC. :-). My favorite BBQ spot is Brown's BBQ that is located on Hwy 52, but we also have many other BBQ spots that are located in Hemingway which that is another city that you should look at as well because it is near Myrtle Beach. And just like Georgetown we are located in the lowcountry and Pee Dee regions of SC. Just investigate Williamsburg County as a whole and you will love our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM

83 posts, read 224,538 times
In all honesty, you will find all kinds of people from all walks of life in Charleston. You'll have "princesses" as you call them, but you'll also have "hippies". I've lived in NY before and quite honestly will never go back. For me, it's a nice place to visit, but Charleston is home... feels like home... and the people will welcome you into their home (well, most of them, haha!).

Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
I love certain things about NYC but living here gives you the best of both worlds...live in an affordable place where you can actually have some $$ left over to enjoy living some and fly up to NYC when the fares are low and "do" the city over a long weekend. Career options are, of course, more plentiful in NYC but if you can line up work you like down here, the quality of life with regards to taxes, traffic, cost of living, etc... is just better here...right now at least. The thing is, you can always move, rent and "try it on" for a while. If you don't like it, you can move on........ Good luck!!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM

18 posts, read 44,319 times
recent nyc transplant who debated moving here a few years ago and recently pulled the trigger

charleston -
small place after nyc- had to adjust to driving everywhere vs cabs/subways/walking everywhere - of course nyc was starting to feel smaller to me before i moved. downtown is tiny- touristy

drivers here are horrendous - left lane campers. peoples complaints about traffic down here are humorous to me. try a 100mile drive from nyc to the hamptons that takes 6hours on a friday night in the summer

hot as hell w/ humidity - like august back in nyc when would hit in the 90's w/ 100% humidity - and everyone stays inside at home/work/bars - only tourists w/ bright red faces and sweat shirts walking around- down here- been like that for a few weeks- still adjusting to it

this place is flat- only landmarks are the ravenal bridge. nc mtns few hours away but no vermont/new hampshire/maine

beaches- super fine grit sand vs. chunkier sand up north. no waves really- surfing is weak vs. long island

bars/nightlife/cuisine- obviously much less choice/diversity - some ethnic foods i took for granted are exotic down here or totally missing or sad impersonations. bars -seems alot of cofc students spots w/ some older crowd ones but enough to keep it entertaining. recently decided after sweating like crazy on a few nights bar hoppin im done w/ downtown until it cools off.

nyc is an amazing place- can get into anytype of trouble you want up there- never boring - but constantly loud and invasion of space. expensive - feels like you hemorrhage a 100 dollar bill every hour even if your not doing anything. my living expenses have been cut by at least 50% moving here- plus taxes - ny state is screwed. i have friends that pay what im payin in rent here just for their car spot in a garage in the city a month.

oh yeah did i forget it's hot as hell here- but my reasoning is sit inside for 3 miserable months up in nyc during winter and only get 3months of summer vs. charleston sit inside for 3 hot months in summer and get 7-8months of summer .

Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
ike,

NC is home of the highest peak on the east coast.....

And it is cheaper there than the places you listed...

Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 27,788 times
Wanted to respond to your post because my husband and I (both in our mid-thirties) are dying to get away from NYC and are considering Charleston. Also considering Raleigh, NC. Only hesitation about Charleston is its (very small?) size and the possible difficulties of finding a job there. We want to relocate to a beautiful, warmer, more laid-back place, but still need to feel some sort of "pulse" (live music, restaurants, cultural/artsy/academic scene). Looking forward to reading the other replies here..

Old 06-17-2010, 01:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
Check out the Charleston City Paper for the local entertainment scene....

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 27,788 times
Thanks, OleTomCat! Great suggestion. In terms of jobs, do you know if there are many (or few) jobs available in medical sales and mental health counseling (my husband's and my fields, respectively). I did a basic search but came up with less than promising results thus far. I know its a tough/weird question but wanted to ask just in case.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM

30 posts, read 60,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketain View Post
recent nyc transplant who debated moving here a few years ago and recently pulled the trigger

charleston -
small place after nyc- had to adjust to driving everywhere vs cabs/subways/walking everywhere - of course nyc was starting to feel smaller to me before i moved. downtown is tiny- touristy

drivers here are horrendous - left lane campers. peoples complaints about traffic down here are humorous to me. try a 100mile drive from nyc to the hamptons that takes 6hours on a friday night in the summer

hot as hell w/ humidity - like august back in nyc when would hit in the 90's w/ 100% humidity - and everyone stays inside at home/work/bars - only tourists w/ bright red faces and sweat shirts walking around- down here- been like that for a few weeks- still adjusting to it

this place is flat- only landmarks are the ravenal bridge. nc mtns few hours away but no vermont/new hampshire/maine

beaches- super fine grit sand vs. chunkier sand up north. no waves really- surfing is weak vs. long island

bars/nightlife/cuisine- obviously much less choice/diversity - some ethnic foods i took for granted are exotic down here or totally missing or sad impersonations. bars -seems alot of cofc students spots w/ some older crowd ones but enough to keep it entertaining. recently decided after sweating like crazy on a few nights bar hoppin im done w/ downtown until it cools off.

nyc is an amazing place- can get into anytype of trouble you want up there- never boring - but constantly loud and invasion of space. expensive - feels like you hemorrhage a 100 dollar bill every hour even if your not doing anything. my living expenses have been cut by at least 50% moving here- plus taxes - ny state is screwed. i have friends that pay what im payin in rent here just for their car spot in a garage in the city a month.

oh yeah did i forget it's hot as hell here- but my reasoning is sit inside for 3 miserable months up in nyc during winter and only get 3months of summer vs. charleston sit inside for 3 hot months in summer and get 7-8months of summer .

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for all of your responses. I guess there are pros and cons to every city, but I again I think I am pretty much sold on charleston, especially considering the weather and living expenses. Again, I think I got my fill of big city living while i was in chicago for four years. It was stressful there....high rent, no parking, cold winters...just over it...I can imagine trying to make it in NYC...Being from the south already, I think I would nicely fit into the southern culture of Charleston. People told me that NYc would eat me alive, being the sensitive quiet soul that I am Im just looking for a city with a mild climate where I can run and swim and be healthy most part of the year...that is another thing..I got pretty unhealthy living in chicago..bars on every corner,lol! I gained about 25 pounds living there because its so cold and so hard to get to the gym with the snow, and the no parking situation! So much easier to warm up with a beer there! So the bar scene in Charleston really isnt going to make or break me in regards to making a decision. Kinda over it, but dont mind having a drink once on the weekends..What are the winters like in Charleston? Like ike said, I too would rather put up with 3 months of humid hell than 7-8 months of cold gloomy weather...I guess we can always visit NYC for a long weekend right?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM

30 posts, read 60,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntgoldi View Post
Thanks, OleTomCat! Great suggestion. In terms of jobs, do you know if there are many (or few) jobs available in medical sales and mental health counseling (my husband's and my fields, respectively). I did a basic search but came up with less than promising results thus far. I know its a tough/weird question but wanted to ask just in case.
I too am looking for work down there, but haven't had too much luck. My background too has been in medical and pharmaceutical sales..but haven't had much luck since I have been applying in Charleston. I think the job market is just saturated right now with candidates. Not sure if I even want to be in sales anymore...looking into the RN/ARNP track at MUSC at the moment and might just make a move and take a job in one of the hospitals until I can get my feet on the ground. What makes you want to move from NYC? Living expenses, stress, ect? Wanted to move there, but I think i am sold on moving to the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area