Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
I will tell you that the dogs *will* be an issue...not the fact that you have them, but their size. We found that lots of rental properties won't allow dogs of that size. The ones that do allow dogs have a size restriction. Good luck.
Just remember that even if the agency says 35# or less it doesn't hurt to ask. When it looked like my home purchase wasn't going to go through I started to panic because of my big dogs (about 3x's the size of the OP) but the agency told me that that size limit is generic, and many landlords will allow bigger dogs if you are willing to put down a larger deposit. So don't discount a property because of the size limit, but do be prepared for a tougher time finding a rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 AM

16 posts, read 22,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You may want to check around the West Ashley area also. This is an area close to Leeds Ave VIA 526.
Thanks!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,183,445 times
We ended up buying but had considered renting. We have dogs (the size of yours), as well as 3 cats. The management company had a $200 non-refundable deposit per pet. We ended up renting out our other home instead of selling (and didn't charge an additional dog deposit for our tenants).

You may want to consider looking through Craigslist and finding homeowners looking to rent out their house. The market is very iffy so more and more homeowners are renting their homes (and not using management companies), so they can afford to move. We weren't looking to make money from our renters, just to break even so we could move. The cost of pet deposit by the management company actually pushed us to buy the house we are in now. $1000 non-refundable is crazy. Homeowners not using a management company are more flexible.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,449,029 times
I agree with jjburke. I meant to include in my first reply to you that renting a house might work better for you than a townhouse or an apartment. People renting homes are probably (not always) more amenable to tenants having pets. Keep in mind that you may still have to pay a pet deposit when renting a house..............

One more thing.... I'd be very cautious using CraigsList to find a rental. When we did that, we ran into several scams that were masqueraded as legitimate ads for rental properties. You'd probably be better off hooking up with a real estate agent who handles rentals.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Just remember that even if the agency says 35# or less it doesn't hurt to ask. When it looked like my home purchase wasn't going to go through I started to panic because of my big dogs (about 3x's the size of the OP) but the agency told me that that size limit is generic, and many landlords will allow bigger dogs if you are willing to put down a larger deposit. So don't discount a property because of the size limit, but do be prepared for a tougher time finding a rental.
Thank you, we will check into them. I'm preparing myself now, I wish I could just go ahead and buy, but that's not going to happen yet

Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
I agree with jjburke. I meant to include in my first reply to you that renting a house might work better for you than a townhouse or an apartment. People renting homes are probably (not always) more amenable to tenants having pets. Keep in mind that you may still have to pay a pet deposit when renting a house..............

One more thing.... I'd be very cautious using CraigsList to find a rental. When we did that, we ran into several scams that were masqueraded as legitimate ads for rental properties. You'd probably be better off hooking up with a real estate agent who handles rentals.
Yes we would rather a house, I just didn't know what there was in our price range. We've looked at Craigslist, but it makes me a little nervous because we have also found some scams. I thought about a real estate agent as well but was concerned that they would charge us a fat fee, when its going to be straining enough to move :/

As soon as I get the green light the rental house search will be on fast and furious because we won't have much time to move.

Thanks again

Old 08-19-2011, 04:26 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,183,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDream View Post
Yes we would rather a house, I just didn't know what there was in our price range. We've looked at Craigslist, but it makes me a little nervous because we have also found some scams. I thought about a real estate agent as well but was concerned that they would charge us a fat fee, when its going to be straining enough to move :/

As soon as I get the green light the rental house search will be on fast and furious because we won't have much time to move.

Thanks again
You do have to be cautious about Craigslist but we are landlords who advertised on Craigslist and we got a lot of interest in our home. If you deal with a Real Estate Agent, you are dealing with a property management situation (less flexibility with deposits, etc). If homeowners use a management company, they usually will add on the cost of that into your rent (not in addition to but when they figure out how much to charge a potential tenant). It was really important for us to keep our rent as low as possible for whoever moved in. I actually don't personally know anyone who has been involved in a Craigslist scam but I do know people who have found rentals or tenants on Craigslist without issues. I explored both options, managing the property ourselves or hiring a management company.

I would never exchange money or sign a contract without meeting and seeing a property (and do a little research...like property tax records). I even googled people who were coming to our house, prior to showing our house (usually by name and email address). Everyone who came to check out our home was who they said they were.

A property management won't charge you a thing. They receive a percentage fee from the homeowner (but remember, it is an expense that you really are paying because they figure that into their expenses when they decide on the amount to charge). This also doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find a less expensive rent but it could (homeowner sets the rent, not the management company).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area