Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 PM

68 posts, read 174,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeyjenn View Post
AshleyMC- you can't leave us hanging??

We are relocating to Summerville in January. It seems like Summerville is HUGE!! Are there really 3 High schools? We are looking at Wescott area since it will be close drive for my husband and seems very kid friendly. I'm not crazy about the reviews I have been reading about the schools. I guess reviews are hard to go by though. I love all the other aspects about Summerville and can't wait to move there!!!
I don't check in here very often, just too busy, but I try to give honest advice and what my experiences have been. I have worked in DD2 and Berkeley County Schools but am retired now. Check online to see the growth pattern for DD2 school district. It is the fastest growing district in the state which has created difficulty in accomodating the mass of new students. Also check to see independent evaluations of SC schools. I believe one website is greatschools.com...Just do some research. I'm saying that has a parent and a grandparent. There are so many new schools being built that you would just really have to visit the area and see for yourself where your child would attend. Summerville has had hundreds (no kidding) of new housing additions built in the past decade. I'm thinking Wescott is on Dorchester Road which I try to avoid because of traffic conjestion. We had considered moving to that area about 6 years ago but changed our mind for that reason...but it's a personal preference. All of Summerville is getting more congested anytime of day. Do we like the area...YES! Love the proximity to Charleston and beaches, which is why people want to live here! We just try to avoid certain roads and the traffic problem areas but again we can do that since we are retired now. Also there are numerous private schools here... But please just visit the area, there are tons of houses for rent, lots of foreclosures so just don't be in a hurry to buy the first place. You should be able to buy a property for a bargain in Summerville. You really need to live in an area to learn all the things that the residents know and check out the traffic in the area you are considering. I worked in schools in other states for a number of years and I can say it was very difficult working in 2 of the schools that I provided services for. Pull up DD2 website to see list of all schools, I'm not sure how many there are now. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
DD2 as a county is ranked higher - the individual schools are what is important -- not the county. You have to make sure your choice of a specific school is a good one.

South Carolina State High Schools - SC School Rankings

My son had a great experience entering Laing Middle School as an 8th grader last year. There were no problems of bullying. I helped out in the school a couple of times and found the kids to be very well behaved and respectful of others and the staff. I'm sure there were individuals who caused problems but the overall environment was so positive. Could have been very difficult starting 8th grade as a new student but it wasn't!!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,354 times
I live in a beautiful subdivision just off of Highway 165. Beautiful new High school one mile away and 5 miles from the heart of the town. Summerville is a beautiful historic town with a good strong school system. If you are looking for a big lot in the country where you can build your own home, take a ride through Boyle Plantation. Our family loves it here and the people are all very nice.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM

44 posts, read 76,619 times
Default Del Webb in Summerville

Does anyone have any information on the Del Webb community in Summerville?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
There is a whole Del Webb thread on here if you search for it, Stella a long time resident and contributor to this page raves about it...

Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 AM

506 posts, read 1,026,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfowlkes View Post
Does anyone have any information on the Del Webb community in Summerville?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...lantation.html

Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM

44 posts, read 76,619 times
Default Recommendations

OK, we are considering the Summerville/Charleston area for retirement. We are in our 60's, both retired. We will buy a 2000 to 2500 sq ft home, our budget is up to 400k. We are moving from California but are originally from TN. We need a good public library, shopping, access to entertainment sometime. We will probably attend a Disciples of Christ church if one is available or perhaps a UCC one if not. My wife is a quilter, gardner and crafts person. I like to target shoot and fish some. We will need to be able to make friends and attend social events. Our children are grown and out of the house. Where are the good areas for us to look, we are visiting Summerville at the end of Feb.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 PM

You can get a really really nice house for 400K in Summerville, or save about 150K and buy a real nice house....

Dorchester county libraries are pretty good, but there is little private library in DT Summerville that this nerd prefers....

Both shooting and fishing are very popular down here also...

Get with one of the local, ie Summerville area, realtors for the best deals and neighborhoods....

Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM

94 posts, read 386,571 times
Looking at Summerville as a maybe relocate., is it more of a retirement place or family oriented? Also, coming from AZ, how humid does it get (esp in the summer)? May seem like a dumb question, but don't know if we could handle "a lot" of humidity (some, ok).
thx

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Very Family oriented place...

It gets Africa Hot here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area