Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Dang - this is one I would love to go to -- love the choices. Unfortunately, I am busy both week ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
What the heck are these Southern Bees packing in their stingers??? I was stung by a bee Thursday, and I am still covered in hives and my face looks like I was in the losing end of a boxing match. Damn Southern bees!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
What the heck are these Southern Bees packing in their stingers??? I was stung by a bee Thursday, and I am still covered in hives and my face looks like I was in the losing end of a boxing match. Damn Southern bees!!!!!!
I saw a new bug (new to me) that looks like a mini-wasp yesterday. Is this the Southern Bee you are talking about?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
I saw a new bug (new to me) that looks like a mini-wasp yesterday. Is this the Southern Bee you are talking about?
I never saw what stung me, and I'm not completely sure that is what I am reacting to. I did pull what looked like a thorn or stinger out of my ankle. I have hives right around that spot, and then all over my face and neck. I have been an avid gardner my entire life so I'm sure I've been stung before, but I have never had an allergic reaction to anything like this. I was told that I could very well be allergic to bees out here when I never have been before, but most likely I won't ever know for sure what I reacted to unless it happens again.

I have to go shop for a birthday gift soon, so if you are out and about and see crowds running and screaming you'll know they are running form the horror that is my face.

Maybe I should go hang out at Fright Night to make it more scary.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Lol

Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
I never saw what stung me, and I'm not completely sure that is what I am reacting to. I did pull what looked like a thorn or stinger out of my ankle. I have hives right around that spot, and then all over my face and neck. I have been an avid gardner my entire life so I'm sure I've been stung before, but I have never had an allergic reaction to anything like this. I was told that I could very well be allergic to bees out here when I never have been before, but most likely I won't ever know for sure what I reacted to unless it happens again.

I have to go shop for a birthday gift soon, so if you are out and about and see crowds running and screaming you'll know they are running form the horror that is my face.

Maybe I should go hang out at Fright Night to make it more scary.
Keep in mind that allergic to reactions to bee/wasp stings and other insect bites tend to be come more severe each time it happens. (Also, being stung by a wasp is not the same as being stung by a bee and THAT could be the difference in your symptoms).

I've been stung by bees a few times in my 37+ years. But 5 years ago when I was stung, my allergic reaction to being stung in the shoulder blade went from swelling and itching/burning I would usually expect to numbness from the neck up and difficulty breathing.

The doctor in the ER is the one that told me how the allergic reaction tends to be worse with every sting.

I now carry a bee sting kit with me out in the field.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Good to know. We have epi pens scattered all over the house for my husband because he suffers from bad food and fragrance allergies, and they seem to get worse and worse for him. Other than seasonal pollen issues I have mostly been spared those problems. I do know that things change as we age too, and I haven't found the solution to THAT problem yet. (aging)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Keep in mind that allergic to reactions to bee/wasp stings and other insect bites tend to be come more severe each time it happens. (Also, being stung by a wasp is not the same as being stung by a bee and THAT could be the difference in your symptoms).

I've been stung by bees a few times in my 37+ years. But 5 years ago when I was stung, my allergic reaction to being stung in the shoulder blade went from swelling and itching/burning I would usually expect to numbness from the neck up and difficulty breathing.

The doctor in the ER is the one that told me how the allergic reaction tends to be worse with every sting.

I now carry a bee sting kit with me out in the field.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Also you can get a cortisone shot to get the hives under control. The one time I got bad hives I got immediate relief with the shot. The dr said if they go to your throat it can swell up and you can die.

This one lady I know had hives for months with no relief... they got out of control and nothing worked! Craziness!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Good to know. We have epi pens scattered all over the house for my husband because he suffers from bad food and fragrance allergies, and they seem to get worse and worse for him. Other than seasonal pollen issues I have mostly been spared those problems. I do know that things change as we age too, and I haven't found the solution to THAT problem yet. (aging)
Everyone is the age of their heart.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,924 times
Monday in Chicago

Monday in Charleston

Moderator cut: image removed

Nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area