Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM

486 posts, read 996,661 times

Advertisements

There is a house for sale in Snee Farm that I find interesting. Not the type I would normally go for but for some reason I just really like it. We have driven through the community several times during the last few years as well as all the others. I like the location of the neighborhood, the lots are a little bigger than some of the other subdivisions we saw, and not too cookie cutter. The thing that kind of bothers me is that the pool/clubhouse/tennis areas looked kind of run down to me. The parking lot looks like it just needs some basic landscaping (lots of it). It's an older neighborhood and the clubhouse area looks to be showing its age. I must admit we didn't get out and go inside the clubhouse or grill because we were kind of turned off by the outside and now I wish we had done so. I checked out their website and the community really seems to have tons to offer. Most of the homes are very well kept and the rest of the place looks really nice. If they just fixed up that one area it could be, in my opinion, one of the best communities around. If we bought the house we would have to rent it out for a few years before moving there.
Would it be harder to rent out this house because of this? Do most renters want the more fancy amenities more like Dunes West type stuff? The house is listed at a good price. I am kind of betting that in time this neighborhood can and will be brought up to its full potential and if so, and this house would be a good investment. We plan on living there in a few years.

Any opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated as always.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,872 times
The clubhouse is older, but it's off the road so you can't really see it unless you drive into the parking area. None of our immediate members, us included, take 'advantage' of the clubhouse, as it's extra for membership. I believe - don't quote me - that the clubhouse is owned by another company, not the Snee Farm Foundation; a few years ago they wanted to raise the HOA fees significantly to do improvements on it, and were voted down by the Foundation members. You can go to sneefarmcf.com - minutes of past meetings and announcements are there, I'm not sure how far back they go.

We enjoy Snee Farm very much, and everyone who comes to visit remarks on what a nice neighborhood it is. Yes, the houses are older (if you call built in the 70s old, lol), and you may have some remodeling to do. But the home values in SF haven't dropped nearly as much as in some other neighborhoods, and overall we're very happy here.

The one downside is sometimes seemingly endless rules of the HOA; if you're coming from a neighborhood that doesn't have covenants and restirctions, you can get quite a bit of an awakening, lol. But it does keep the washing machines off the front porch and the cars from being up on blocks in the yard.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
Snee Farm

The clubhouse is undergoing a much needed renovation. As recent as 2008, there were plans for an entire new clubhouse, pools, etc. but it got held up in court by several Snee Farm residents. The suit was finally settled a year or so ago but it was no longer an ecomomically viable plan as it included a new patio home section as part of it. It was a long and complicated story but the bottom line is there is now a clubhouse renovation going on.

The golf course and clubhouse are not part of the Snee Farm HOA and by Mount Pleasant Rules and Regulations, it must remain a golf course. Also the owners of Snee Farm Country Club recently purchased Rivertowne Country Club.

The entire Snee Farm area is lovely but as it ages it can become shall we say out of date and seedy to some. The local joke is the first thing one moves into their new home at Snee Farm is a dumpster for the remodel.

In 2002 we were sold on the area but as we looked at homes we mostly saw remodel, remodel, remodel leaping out at us. We opted to buy a new home elsewhere in Mount Pleasant, but we became golfing members at Snee Farm Country Club. The golf course is well known, not easy and well respected. They have a quite an active tennis and pool membership. The clubhouse needed much work but our fellow golfing members and the staff were fine/friendly people.

Snee Farm Country Club is one of the few Member Only, Private Clubs in the area and dollar for dollar, the best buy in the Charleston area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 05-05-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Wasn't it the I'on group that bought the Snee Farm Country Club?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Wasn't it the I'on group that bought the Snee Farm Country Club?
I'On was part of the failed deal. The owners of Snee Farm Country Club (more on them later) were going to sell some of the land in front of the present clubhouse to a group which had the original developer of I'On in it. Hence the I'On name association.

This developer was going to build some small, patio type homes ($350K and up) on the land.

The talked about number was $2.5M for the land which Snee Farm CC was then going to pour into a complete new/reloctaed clubhouse, pools, etc. Everything had to be moved for the homes to fit but most everything need renovation and/or replacement so a good deal all around.

The whole plan (including preliminary drawings/model) was presented to Snee Farm CC members and homeowners were invited to view it also.

The zoning for such went through (took a few gyrations). Then some Snee Farm residents (one person mainly) sued. When it got tied up in court (2008 to 2010 or so), purchase options elapsed and the real estate market dried up, so the deal was no longer economically viable.

Snee Farm CC continued the court battle and finally won (after a few gyrations) but as said, the deal did not make economic sense even with a new developer. Hence the clubhouse renovations.

I believe the Snee Farm HOA never took an official position, but the BOD and many homeowners were leaning toward the deal.

Back to Snee Farm Country Club. It was bought by 3 fellows from NJ in 2003. Two years or so ago, one of the 3 bought the other two out. He recently purchased Rivertowne Country Club. He now owns both. He may have other investors but I know nothing about that.

Local Mount Pleasant joke. Why it I'On spelled that way? As Pretentious is harder to spell.....LOL

Hope this helps.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 05-06-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
There is a house for sale in Snee Farm that I find interesting. Not the type I would normally go for but for some reason I just really like it. We have driven through the community several times during the last few years as well as all the others. I like the location of the neighborhood, the lots are a little bigger than some of the other subdivisions we saw, and not too cookie cutter. The thing that kind of bothers me is that the pool/clubhouse/tennis areas looked kind of run down to me. The parking lot looks like it just needs some basic landscaping (lots of it). It's an older neighborhood and the clubhouse area looks to be showing its age. I must admit we didn't get out and go inside the clubhouse or grill because we were kind of turned off by the outside and now I wish we had done so. I checked out their website and the community really seems to have tons to offer. Most of the homes are very well kept and the rest of the place looks really nice. If they just fixed up that one area it could be, in my opinion, one of the best communities around. If we bought the house we would have to rent it out for a few years before moving there.
Would it be harder to rent out this house because of this? Do most renters want the more fancy amenities more like Dunes West type stuff? The house is listed at a good price. I am kind of betting that in time this neighborhood can and will be brought up to its full potential and if so, and this house would be a good investment. We plan on living there in a few years.

I looked at a few houses over there.

Water intrusion, water intrusion, water intrusion. Check for leaks! Nearly all the places showed signs of active roof leaks (stains / musty smell when you walk in the door). Drainage was a little off with some of the houses too - water isn't supposed to drain towards the house. Construction quality seemed about average for the period they were built (early '80s for what we looked at). I thought it was a good neighborhood, the wife wasn't a huge fan, and in the end we found better value elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the replies, all something to think about.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,801 times
Default Snee Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post

My daughter lives in Snee Farms on the golf course. It is very stable and safe. It would be easy to rent it for however long you may need to before you move in. I get about 30 calls every time one of my rentals become available.
Foster

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM

If the Golf/Country Club part is private, would that mean that the hoa fees are less since you are not paying to maintain the pool and tennis courts and other things? If you rent out your house and the tenant wants access to the amenities, would they do that on their own?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,872 times
Barbara, the golf course and club memberships are separate from the HOA. I don't know if renters would be permitted to use your membership if you have an active one. That would be a question for the realtor.

Here's the website for the Snee Farm HOA - Snee Farm Community Foundation Official Web Site - the regulations regarding club/golf membership may be in the 'goverance' section, I don't know. We're not members as it just didn't interest us.

As for Snee Farm being easy to rent out, there are a couple of houses on the street where I live that are rentals; they seem to rent very fast, within a week of the sign being put in the yard; so yes, I think rentals would be an easy option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area