Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,800,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidsaregone View Post
...women laying in the fountain with shopping bags on there head...
Like this?
Moderator cut: photo removed, copyright protection
If it was the plastic kind maybe it cut off their air supply.

Last edited by Yac; 07-23-2012 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,168,460 times
Well, maybe things have changed since 2008 (hmmm, what's happened in the last 4 years?) and we were in Charleston in 2009, but we found everyone we met to be delightful.

http://www.amexpub.com/downloads/84....elease2008.pdf

Of course, compared to NY where rude and bitchy is an art form .......

Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times
Trolley is part of CARTA. Equate the trolley drivers less with the carriage tour guides and more with the guy who sells subway tokens. If he was yelling at the passengers, what were the passengers doing? I'm sorry but I can't really picture a low paid bus driver seeing a bus load of well behaved passengers sitting quietly or whatever and going postal about it.

Waterfront is anyone's guess. Yeah, kids with nasty diapers will be in the fountains. Then again, when I was a kid, I remember watching the weather reports of flooding on the peninsula and seeing kids who lived downtown out in the 3-4 feet of water in their bathing suits on TV. Those kids are parents now and live a trolley ride away from the Pineapple.

The idea I get from the shops on King/Market is that they size you up when you walk in and figure out whether or not you can afford to shop there and then treat you accordingly.

Not all of Charleston is like that but as someone else pointed out, you were in tourist central so the general public you were dealing with may not have been Charlestonians and the merchants etc you encountered were in "get their money" mode.

Sorry.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,449,029 times
ROFL....I have never heard that.

Charleston is well known for rudeness.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,758,364 times
I've never experienced rudeness in Charleston.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM

167 posts, read 315,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidsaregone View Post
My vist to sc was a sad affaire . I feel to find any southern charm in the people here where when I walked pass some I worn a smile and said hello. Trolley drivers were cranky and yelled at people on the trolley. When asking a question you felt they didn't have time to answer. In the pineapple Fountain women where putting children in there with dirty diapers, women laying in the fountain with shopping bags on there head, people bumping into you Not even saying excuse you. Charleston restaurant do have great food. *shop personal unfriendly* Where people rude cause I was a out of town person?

Yes everyone is rude here. Now go away and don't even think about moving here.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM

638 posts, read 1,595,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Charleston is well known for rudeness. I think there's even a few awards given to the city for it.
it's all them dammed yankee's that have moved in..

Not us.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 26,245 times
I am a Yankee and I treat people with respect yes no please thank you may I help

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
Charleston, S.C. Named Friendliest City in America | Fox News

What City Has the Friendliest, Most Attractive Residents? - AOL Travel News

Charleston, SC is Still America's Friendliest City

I don't think the people of Charleston are rude. It was named the friendliest city numerous times. Take a look.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM

870 posts, read 1,679,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Trying to fit in!
You always make me laugh Robynn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area