Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
How rude of you to say that! Heehee

Your post actually made me a little dizzy.
Then the answer to the original question must be: Why yes, we are all rude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,942,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Then the answer to the original question must be: Why yes, we are all rude!
Alrighty then, lets raise a glass....to Rudy....whoever that is..

Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
My apologies to the OP. I'm not making fun. In all seriousness, I just think you were n the perfect places to see the worst the town has to offer. I don't see that Charleston is the Mecca of politeness that some people see, but I'm not from a place where people are known for their rude behavior, either.

Also, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between bluntness and rudeness. I consider myself a no nonsense kind of girl, and sometimes I may be too blunt for others taste. To me it's just a matter of efficiency, but some people really need that slow walk around the garden path to ease them to the point.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,942,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
some people really need that slow walk around the garden path to ease them to the point.
LOL....permission to use this in future conversation?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
LOL....permission to use this in future conversation?
You betcha!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,595,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Although, I DID have something happen that I've never seen here before. There was quite a bit of traffic the other day on Hwy 17 in Mt P because Rifle Range was closed. We're all sitting in bumper to bumper traffic - not fun! I usually take that opportunity to enjoy my music but I digress. Anyway, this lady, out of the blue, starts honking her horn at the traffic. I've seen that on TV but never here. It was a bit funny though because all of us around her looked at her like she had lost her mind. She stopped. A little bit of traffic is no cause for raising such a ruckus. But, it WAS a first for me.
I bet it was a transplant from the north! That is what they do up there all the time. They will start honking when no one can move, like it will magically make the traffic start flowing. The few times I have heard honking for no reason, I always think it is someone from the north.

BTW, I am a northern transplant. I'm not bashing them, I am just telling the truth about what a lot of them do in traffic. It used to drive me INSANE!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 AM

870 posts, read 1,679,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I bet it was a transplant from the north! That is what they do up there all the time. They will start honking when no one can move, like it will magically make the traffic start flowing. The few times I have heard honking for no reason, I always think it is someone from the north.

BTW, I am a northern transplant. I'm not bashing them, I am just telling the truth about what a lot of them do in traffic. It used to drive me INSANE!
You couldn't be more correct (I'm from the north)..it's their right of passage (or so they think)

Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM

272 posts, read 909,498 times
I moved here from South Florida, the capitol of rudeness. I find the people here to be gracious and polite for the most part.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times
I honk at traffic if the cause is apparent and honking may fix the problem. For example, before the Ravanel bridge was built, I was attempting to get on I-26 from the Crosstown at 5:15 or so after work one evening. I was in the middle lane as the right lane went to Mt Pleasant and the Left two lanes went to North Charleston. The right lane was backed up (as was the norm back then) and the left two lanes were moving along relatively smoothly considering that it was rush hour. We got to the traffic light at Coming Street and the car in front of me did not move when the car in front of him did. I tapped my horn because there was nothing apparent preventing him from driving forward. He responded to my horn by pulling a foot forward and turning on his turn signal to get into the Mt Pleasant bound lane he then stopped again. I tapped the horn again and he waved. At that point I pushed the horn in and didn't let up until he moved. I was mostly irritated because I actually saw him get out of the Mt P lane and into the middle lane (apparently to circumvent the traffic) and then block the northbound lane trying to get back over.

Generally though, I will either find a way around or just patiently wait it out and hope for nice scenery to pass by

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I honk at traffic if the cause is apparent and honking may fix the problem. For example, before the Ravanel bridge was built, I was attempting to get on I-26 from the Crosstown at 5:15 or so after work one evening. I was in the middle lane as the right lane went to Mt Pleasant and the Left two lanes went to North Charleston. The right lane was backed up (as was the norm back then) and the left two lanes were moving along relatively smoothly considering that it was rush hour. We got to the traffic light at Coming Street and the car in front of me did not move when the car in front of him did. I tapped my horn because there was nothing apparent preventing him from driving forward. He responded to my horn by pulling a foot forward and turning on his turn signal to get into the Mt Pleasant bound lane he then stopped again. I tapped the horn again and he waved. At that point I pushed the horn in and didn't let up until he moved. I was mostly irritated because I actually saw him get out of the Mt P lane and into the middle lane (apparently to circumvent the traffic) and then block the northbound lane trying to get back over.

Generally though, I will either find a way around or just patiently wait it out and hope for nice scenery to pass by
This situation was just odd though. We were literally just sitting in traffic, moving along slowly on Hwy 17. No idiot drivers, etc. Just a bit of traffic. This woman just laid on the horn for no apparent reason. Like I said, we all looked at her like she had lost her mind. I think it embarrassed her because she stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area