Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I assume this means north of the Isle of Palms connector.
And if this doesn't make sense, because when I heard it first, it didn't make sense to me....a connector is just another road, but called a connector because it connects you to one of the islands...so the iop connector is the road that connects you to the isle of palms

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM

41 posts, read 59,252 times
Default Same situation

I am in the exact same situation. Have heard that while the neighborhoods are nice north of IOP the the traffic/commute it getting difficult and should stay in 29464 - thoughts?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
The traffic and commute from north of the IOP Connector isn't terrible. It all depends on when you leave and where you're headed. The travel time from Seaside Farms to downtown and the travel time from Park West to downtown, is only about 20 additional minutes in traffic. What you'll see more than anything, is traffic in the neighborhood trying to get out the same time as everyone else.

That being said, I wouldn't rule out neighborhoods like Dunes West (large acre+ subsection in/around the golf course area), Brickyard Plantation (a few homes in that price range on .5+ acre lots), Snee Farm, Raven's Run (gated community on acre+ lots) Grassy Creek, all in Mt. Pleasant. The OP could also check into Stono Ferry, Shadowmoss, and the Crescent in West Ashley. The Crescent is within walking distance to Porter Gaud private school for the kids, just next to Avondale Shopping Plaza off Folly Rd. Wonderful location in West Ashley, and only 5 minutes to downtown Charleston.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagirl410 View Post
I am in the exact same situation. Have heard that while the neighborhoods are nice north of IOP the the traffic/commute it getting difficult and should stay in 29464 - thoughts?
Well they are in the process of widening the roads. It depends on where and when you are commuting ....

Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM

192 posts, read 409,255 times
Sounds like North of the IOP is a good place to look - traffic won't be as much of an issue for us since we won't be going downtown every day.

Looked at The Crescent - loved the area - looked like it might be really close to a busy part of town though. Also liked the web-site for porter-Gaud. Any thoughts on safety concerns in West Ashley?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
No concerns from me in the Crescent. I used to patrol West Ashley when I was with Charleston P.D., it's about as quiet as you can imagine in that neighborhood. I'd always caution to be proactive in -any- neighborhood regardless of it's feel, i.e. lock doors and widows, lower garage doors, etc. If you think about it, those looking to break the law are going to do so in areas where everyone feels safest and are by default, somewhat less precautionary.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
If you're in the area drive up there anytime between 3pm and 6pm and you can see for yourself. 17 gets very congested around 526 and Mathis Ferry, maybe not too bad east and north of there. Rifle Range going east/north at that time is bumper to bumper all the way to the IOP connector. And Long Point will be a non-stop stream of bumper-to-bumper traffic from the 526 exit all the way down to where it intersects with 17. I don't think there are any good options out that way as far as alternate routes to avoid traffic. The only thing you can do is try to travel at off-peak hours.

I'd try to stay in 29646. I live in an apartment off Johnnie Dodds south of 526 and I don't hit traffic at all. The trouble is finding a place that's not $400k+ in that area.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
We live at the far northern end of town, and traffic is rarely an issue. There are times when traffic is pretty locked up, but you quickly learn when those times are. If I have to go somewhere during rush hour I just hop down to Rifle Range and as long as traffic isn't snarled because of an accident it's usually smooth sailing. When we first arrived here I lived in the southern part of town and I was stuck in traffic all the time because I had to travel north to get me kids to school right in the middle of the worst times. We originally didn't want to be this far north of downtown, but we really wanted to be as close as possible to the high school. My kids are heavily involved in after school activities, so being school adjacent was critical for us. Wando is at the very northern border of MP, and I know the kids from the other end of town who ride the bus have to leave pretty early to get to school on time.
The previous poster is correct though, if you have to travel during absolute peak times there aren't any real quick easy alternatives.

Most days it takes me less than ten minutes to get to the beach or the freeway, so choosing to live this far out hasn't impacted us at all. My husband commutes to North Charleston, but he works long days so he usually misses most traffic both directions. I expect that once the road widening is completed it will be that much easier.
As far as shopping goes, most everything I need is within a few miles of my house, so no issues there.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
As far as shopping goes, most everything I need is within a few miles of my house, so no issues there.
That is very true. All the essentials are nearby...you only have to travel for special shopping...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM

192 posts, read 409,255 times
Thanks Everyone for your input. Here's a list of some neighborhoods that we may be exploring - suggestions welcome. Again, looking for min. of .5 acre (prefer 1. plus), near parks or green areas, good public or private schools nearby, price range of around $750K.

Are these good representations of these areas?

Summerville: historic district, Ashborough, Legend Oaks, Tea Farm
Goose Creek: Crowfield plantantion
Hanahan: Eagle Landing
Beresford Hall
Mount Pleasant: Darrell Creek, Ravens Run, Seewee preserve, Wakendaw Lakes, Dunes West
West Ashley: The Crescent, Wapoo Heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area