Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM

192 posts, read 409,621 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are relocating to the Charleston area. My husband is planning a trip solo to scope out some of the areas we are drawn to. Wondering if anyone has input or suggested driving/scoping itineraries. Neighborhood suggestions are welcome.Our areas of interest are:

Summerville
Goose Creek
Mount Pleasant
Hanahan
Daniel Island

We are a family with two MS age kids, so we want a "neighborhood". Safe area is very important as are decent schools or proximity to good private schools. As posted previously, we want to have a minimum of .5 acre as we have two big active dogs. Prefer to be near some green space. Don't need the water in our back yard, but wouldn't turn it down either

I'd like to come up with a good "map" of where to send him.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,264 times
I'll happily throw out some neighborhoods for you. What price range, # of bedrooms and square footage are you looking for as well?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,282,273 times
Where will he be working (area)?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,807 times
I live in West Ashley, it's pretty nice too. I definitely prefer living here over Hanahan or Goose Creek, personally. Plus there are some good neighborhoods around here with pretty big yards and you're closer to downtown than Summerville or Goose Creek.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 AM

Thanks everyone. My husband works from home, so our biggest concerns are for our kids as far as schools and neighborhoods. We don't want to be too far out, but luckily, I guess, we don't have to be too close either.

As far as the type of neighborhood, I'd say upscale, family/pet friendly. I'd like to stay under $700K. I don't want a big house, but a nice one with a good back yard.

I've been looking at Beresford Hall, Crowfield Plantation...? I don't think I'm going to find anything in my price range on DI with any acreage around it.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
That budget will carry you pretty far in the Charleston area.

The main part of Daniel Island is new urbanist- meaning its about density. So the .5 acres won't happen. I'm not sure you'll even find that north of 526 where the DI CLub and golf course are. But those houses tend to be so large they would dwarf even a half acre lot. And they are pricey unless you find a desparate seller. As far as Beresford- the custom home neighborhood (there are two very diferent neighborhoods with Beresford as the first noun) is nice- however it is a good 5-8 miles down what is primarily an industrial corridor.

Many of the James Island neighborhoods would definitely have the lot size you like and James Island has the best/most consistant schools outside of Mt Pleasant. And your budget would go further on James Island than Mt Pleasant with the benefit of being closer to town.

In all honesty- I'd bet $10 you end up somewhere in Mt Pleasant past the IOP. Its where most of the newer/nicer neighborhoods in that price range occur and has the top schools. And as much as we make fun of it for its continual sprawl north - those neighborhoods tend to be very close to groceries, smaller stores & restaurants and schools that make them pretty convenient for someone noth having to commute to another part of town.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
In all honesty- I'd bet $10 you end up somewhere in Mt Pleasant past the IOP. Its where most of the newer/nicer neighborhoods in that price range occur and has the top schools. And as much as we make fun of it for its continual sprawl north - those neighborhoods tend to be very close to groceries, smaller stores & restaurants and schools that make them pretty convenient for someone noth having to commute to another part of town.
If I had that kind of budget, that's where I'd live. I like West Ashley, but mainly because I can get more home for my money out here... but if I had more money, it would definitely be Mt. P.

Also I've heard good things about the elementary schools in West Ashley but not the middle and high schools... we don't have kids so that doesn't affect us, but definitely something to keep in mind. Mt. P has great schools all around.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 PM

It's good to have an idea of where to look in Mt. Pleasant...please what does "past the IOP" mean...?

I looked around West Ashley and liked what I saw - some nice, older homes and good private schools in that area - I also read back through some posts from years ago addressing some crime issues in West Ashley...thoughts?

I'm guessing Mt. Pleasant would be "safer" since it's farther away from the city?

Which area of those I originally listed (including West Ashley) would you consider "safest"?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,334,527 times
Someone asked for this once before, I did if for Summerville but no one else did their areas...

Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
It's good to have an idea of where to look in Mt. Pleasant...please what does "past the IOP" mean...?
I assume this means north of the Isle of Palms connector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area