Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM

39 posts, read 73,330 times

Advertisements

I am looking at both the Charleston and Columbia areas as a point to relocate later this year. I will be in the Charleston area for a week in early February and would really appreciate any/all advice on decent rental property. We are 2 adults and would like either a 2-3 bedroom house with a garage, or a nice, clean 2 bedroom apartment with a secure two car garage that has electricity. Above all else I need the garage: I have some classic motorcycles, and enjoy working on bikes as time and money allow. I don't want to buy a house as I have some health issues and may not be physically able to take proper care of my property. I am a disabled Veteran, service-connected, and would prefer as few as possible stairs. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of info, so feel free to ask whatever you'd like. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
One of the most important points we need is price, what price range are you looking at for a rental, is proximity to the beach important, since you are looking at working on your motorcycles you will want to know the HOA restrictions and if there are any on motorcycles.....

Do you need easy access to the VA hospital? There is the full hospital down town and a VA clinic in Goose Creek.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

39 posts, read 73,330 times
I have to plead ignorance: what is "HOA"? A far as pricing goes, I would like to keep it under $1,000 a month, less if no utilities are included. As far as the VA, I'm starting with Charleston and Columbia because the have the only 2 VA medical centers in SC. I will expand my search to include health centers, et al, if I don't find anything else. Do you know of any solid rental agencies I might contact? Proximity to the beach is not crucial to me. If it suddenly becomes an issue I could always drive by and take a quick look at the tide. Thanks for the response, OleTomCat!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM

882 posts, read 1,464,635 times
HOA = Home Owners Association.

More relevant if you're renting privately from a homeowner in a development ... if you're renting in a rental property then they'll have their own rules as far as what is and isn't allowed.

And thank you.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
You also have to abide by HOA rules in some rental places. It is not limited to private rentals.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM

If a building or development is exclusively rentals who would be the homeowners forming the association?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
If a building or development is exclusively rentals who would be the homeowners forming the association?
The people who own the property that is rented, ie the Home owners....

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer3-2 View Post
I have to plead ignorance: what is "HOA"? A far as pricing goes, I would like to keep it under $1,000 a month, less if no utilities are included. As far as the VA, I'm starting with Charleston and Columbia because the have the only 2 VA medical centers in SC. I will expand my search to include health centers, et al, if I don't find anything else. Do you know of any solid rental agencies I might contact? Proximity to the beach is not crucial to me. If it suddenly becomes an issue I could always drive by and take a quick look at the tide. Thanks for the response, OleTomCat!
I posted on another thread that there are three rental houses in my neighborhood at $995.00/month + utillities, I found them on Realtor.com under rental listings.....

Carolina One is one of the ones that has a few around where I live....

Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The people who own the property that is rented, ie the Home owners....
lulz, you're confusing me ...

A person can either rent in a rental building or development, in which case all rules are in the rental agreement between them and the company/corporation ... there's no homeowners to agree with other than the company owning/managing the buildings. Or, they can rent privately, and should the home happen be part of an association the HOA document will be included in the rental agreement, if it's a condo the condo paperwork will be included in the rental agreement.

Is there such a thing as a home renters association?

J/k, the two seem mutually exclusive ... either you're renting privately and are subject to whatever rules the house is subject to under the the HOA, or you're renting in a rental property owned by one entity.

Or am I missing something?

---------------------

Sorry OP, we'll settle this eventually.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Where I live it is all townhouses that are rentals. They are managed by a couple different companies. All the renters have to abide by the HOA rules of this area or get fined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area