Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times

Advertisements

I have plaid golfers shorts.

I wear flip flops as often as possible.

Mt Pleasant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 AM

97 posts, read 171,512 times
I googles madras... J Crew all the way! Haha. That's ok tho. I guess I won't be able to tell until I visit and experience the feel for myself. OR I should choose between: mtP, JI, West Ashley and Summersville based on schools alone because we will have young kids when moving. Maybe that can help narrow it down!!! *hope*

Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkill83 View Post
I googles madras... J Crew all the way! Haha. That's ok tho. I guess I won't be able to tell until I visit and experience the feel for myself. OR I should choose between: mtP, JI, West Ashley and Summersville based on schools alone because we will have young kids when moving. Maybe that can help narrow it down!!! *hope*
Where we live in West Ashley, our future children will be zoned for Drayton Hall Elementary which is very highly rated. I've heard the Summerville and MTP schools are good too.

Summerville is a whole other town though, I consider MTP, West Ashley, and JI "Charleston" (even if MTP is a separate city, it's still close enough of a drive to CHS to be considered that, IMHO. Summerville is like 20-30 minutes out).

I've heard the high school here in West Ashley is pretty good, it's a newish school and very modern, was modeled after Wando. Heard the middle school was so-so but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any middle school without issues.... it's just that age *sigh*

Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Ok PP07 so you live in West Ashley... How long does it take for you to get to downtown? The beach? Just curious. And I'm assuming you don't have to drive over 15 mins for stuff like food shopping and restaurants. And that's good to know the schools are good there too!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
In West Ashley you can be 2 minutes from Downtown or 25 minutes from Downtown...it all depends on where you live. I'd be willing to guess that 25 minutes is ~around~ the furthest away you will be depending on good traffic flow. Most things like food & shopping are pretty convenient (not far driving) in the WA area.

The same can be said for Mount Pleasant...~around~ 25 minutes max to Downtown. It may take a few seconds longer to cross the bridge, but it's the prettiest bridge in the state...

Most of MtP is no further than 15 minutes from one of the beaches...much of it is 2-10 minutes from the sands of Sullivan's or IOP.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
I can be downtown from Summerville in 30 minutes....

Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 AM

That's good news.. Can be max 30 mins from downtown in WA. So what about the beach then?
I'd think it depends on where you are as well. So min and max would be good to know! Thanks so much everyone!

Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkill83 View Post
Ok PP07 so you live in West Ashley... How long does it take for you to get to downtown? The beach? Just curious. And I'm assuming you don't have to drive over 15 mins for stuff like food shopping and restaurants. And that's good to know the schools are good there too!
About 25 from downtown, about 30 from beach. We're right off Main Rd. so once we get out of our neighborhood, Hwy. 17 is a straight shot. Or I can go Bees Ferry/Sam Rittenburg/26/Ravenel Bridge to get to MTP.

We have lots of great food out here. You don't hear about it because it's not downtown and the chefs aren't top named people, but there are some hidden gems in Rural West Ashley, non-rural West Ashley (29407), John's Island, etc. The Avondale neighborhood is in West Ashley and has some great eats too, like Al Di La, Mellow Mushroom, and Triangle.

It's much easier to find parking out here too . Wide open spaces.

Not really much good shopping... Citadel Mall is getting worse by the day (Wholly Cow closed!!). But, Walmart is very close to me, like maybe 3 minutes away. Target's at Citadel Mall. Close to major grocery stores like Publix, BiLo... Costco is close too.

Best shopping is Tanger Outlets in North Charleston, which is maybe 15-20 away on 526.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Southside for Sure! (James Island, Folly Beach) is much cooler, real, and laid back people.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
For me -- Folly Beach is always the crazy party beach on the week ends....go figure. Not so laid back or 'chill'. During the week when I take my son surfing -- it's not so bad.......but week ends -- all the crazies come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area