Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,250,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_home_owner View Post
I killed my existing sod with roundup and sod cutter and laid 3 pallets of zoisa cavalier in my front yard. Pristine after one year. Neighbors are jealous. I hired some help from Craigslist for 10 an hour. Best help ever.
This zoysia cavalier stuff looks amazing. I don't know anything about grass or gardening in general. But our front yard is all weeds at the moment and I'd love to tear it all up and sod it. Just not sure how to go about it. Was thinking about going over to Abide a While and asking them for advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,051,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
This zoysia cavalier stuff looks amazing. I don't know anything about grass or gardening in general. But our front yard is all weeds at the moment and I'd love to tear it all up and sod it. Just not sure how to go about it. Was thinking about going over to Abide a While and asking them for advice.
I would try Sodbusters. That's what they specialize in doing. Hubby told me they had a location out in Awendaw but he's not sure if they're at that location anymore. However, their website still has the Charleston office as up and running. Either way, he said that would be the best option for residential purposes.
Sodbusters

Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,250,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I would try Sodbusters. That's what they specialize in doing. Hubby told me they had a location out in Awendaw but he's not sure if they're at that location anymore. However, their website still has the Charleston office as up and running. Either way, he said that would be the best option for residential purposes.
Sodbusters
I'll look into it. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM

140 posts, read 280,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
It was quite easy and you can do it your self. I called Carolina Freshfarms and ordered the sod.

The prep work - i did the following:

1) Rented a Sod cutter.
2) Rake up the sod. County came and picked it up on the side the street. (tax dollars at work)
level out the dirt.
3) You will have excess dirt and i had a big pile. Big enough to play king of the mountain. I advertised free dirt on craigslist and the dirt was gone at the end of the day.
4)Use and i mean USE the strongest roundup and spray every inch of the yard to prevent the old weeds and grass from growing through the new sod.
wait 3 days and lay new SOD.

I recommend sprinkler system. About 400-500 a zone. It needs to be watered 2 times a day at the beginning.

neighbors thought i had no clue what i was doing but its about the body of work and now they are asking me for advidce. I hired cheap labor on Craigslist. I paid him at the end of the day.

Ill post a photo of my yard and how it has matured over a year.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM

140 posts, read 280,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Sodbusters

Sodbusters does not sell Zoysia Cavalier as a FYI. Sodbusters is no longer in Awendaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area