Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:34 PM

12 posts, read 17,386 times

Advertisements

I'd love to chat with those who have moved from Charlotte, NC to Charleston, SC, and what advice they would give someone moving to the area? I have lived in Charlotte most of my life, and am relocating to Charleston for a new job opportunity. Am a single Mom, in the healthcare field. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Yes, after vacationing here for many years we made the move this spring. Feel free to message me.
And yes, we love it!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 PM

207 posts, read 445,545 times
Hi!
We moved from Charlotte to Charleston. We were only in Charlotte a year, but if you think it would help feel free to message me.
D

Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM

469 posts, read 891,584 times
My son did - he was born in Charlotte (among the few actually born there) and moved to Charleston when he graduated from college - 2 years ....wait 3 years...I don't know one or the other .... ago. Sadly, he would not be a good person to talk to, but I was heavily involved in his apartment hunting so might be able to answer some questions. One of the above people would probably be better though.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 AM

54 posts, read 63,598 times
I just moved here a month ago from Charlotte as well! I'm a single mom with a 14 yo son

Old 06-23-2015, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 10,278 times
We moved to the Goose Creek area from Charlotte (lived there for 3 years). I miss Charlotte as family is still there. My kids are in Palmetto Scholars Academy which is a wonderful school. We moved here due to my husbands job in managed care so feel free to send me a message!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:46 AM

12 posts, read 17,386 times
Am meeting with my Realtor in a few weeks, to narrow down some choices: Summerville, Hanahan, Goose Creek, James or Johns Island. I have no idea what the traffic flow is like during a.m. and p.m. commute. One job I'm interviewing for is at MUSC, the other at Water Missions International, which is up near Hanahan. I have no feel for the area yet, have only been on vacation to Kiawah a few times. Also looking at safe (if there is such a thing) neighborhoods, for a single Mom. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM

54 posts, read 63,598 times
Summerville will be a hike to MUSC in traffic unless you work off hours. We live near Johns Island and the traffic going on/off the island can be heavy but I really like the area. I would look at the schools if you have a school aged child. The other area's I don't know much about but there are good and bad areas in just about every section in charleston.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 AM

734 posts, read 920,739 times
We live in Ladson. On the borders of North Charleston and Dorchester County. We love it here. In between the mall and Summerville. So we have the hospitals in both direction. Down side it's Charleston County vs Dorchester County in which we pay more taxes I believe. I heard that the Dorchester County School District II are great. You would have to ask someone who lives in that district. The house prices are cheaper than downtown Charleston or Mt. Pleasant. We came from DC metro area two years ago and don't miss it except for the pay I use to get. Going from $100k to $0, yes $0 is hard to take but I still have my brains here. Don't have to deal with that I 95 traffic either. 2 1/2 hr drive for a 20 min drive to work is ridiculous. So we are very happy here in South Carolina.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 PM

85 posts, read 78,604 times
Mslchardon,

Any word of caution about traffic, streets/intersections?
I was born and raised in Charlotte, and am used to the good/bad about the traffic, what streets to stay away from, time of day, etc.

I have also lived in larger cities in the U.S., but Charleston traffic is different altogether.
;/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area