Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Scorpions? I didn't believe you till I looked it up myself. Wow.
I have photographic proof of the scorpion in our house....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
This is the first time of me hearing about scorpions here lol. Are they common? Where are they found?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM

192 posts, read 409,527 times
We recently relocated to the Mt. Pleasant area. We have two dogs and a big fence. The only snake we have seen is one that the exterminator showed me that he found in someone else's yard (a rat snake). My husband saw some baby snakes on the beach walkways. Someone else mentioned the importance of teaching your dog the "leave it" command, which is good for snakes.

I really loathe snakes but they serve a purpose, so I live and let live.

There is no fence that will keep out a snake. Be alert, be safe, know what snakes are poisonous and what they look like if you come across one.

I walk my dogs a lot and I always let them walk ahead of me a bit in tall grasses so that they will flush out anything that might come up and bite me...they have much quicker reflexes and will alert me to anything weird in the grass (that's my theory anyway

As for tornadoes...um, my bigger concern coming here was hurricanes and tropical storms.

To me it's all about risk vs. reward and the rewards have been (so far) very much outweighing the risk (of snakes, storms, etc.)

Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
This is the first time of me hearing about scorpions here lol. Are they common? Where are they found?
I don't think they're very common but we definitely had one in the house. I was out of town, the wife was freaking out and sent me a pic. I was like "Holy sh*t, you're right, that is a scorpion!"

Old 09-23-2013, 12:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post

As for tornadoes...um, my bigger concern coming here was hurricanes and tropical storms.

To me it's all about risk vs. reward and the rewards have been (so far) very much outweighing the risk (of snakes, storms, etc.)
The only good thing about a hurricane is that you have plenty of time to get out of dodge if you need to. Cat 3 or better and I'm outta here. Tornadoes are trickier since you have little to no warning. Fortunately, they are rare on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area