Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,725 times

Advertisements

Just a comment re the wings at Husk - I think they're smoked which would account for the pinkish color. We had them there recently, and they definitely were more like smoked wings than 'regular' wings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Just a comment re the wings at Husk - I think they're smoked which would account for the pinkish color. We had them there recently, and they definitely were more like smoked wings than 'regular' wings.
Im a grill man and most of the time that pinkish can be from the smoke but if its rubbery it most likely slighty undercooked or overcooked

Old 02-04-2017, 03:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,950 times
It wasn't necessarily the pink color. The meat had kind of a pearly white look to it. Like it was cooked medium or maybe even medium rare.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:58 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
So I had a friend visit me the last couple of days, and this is the rundown:

Thu lunch: Husk. No matter how many times I go to this restaurant it never fails to disappoint. The burger is always ok, never anywhere near what people make of it, and as usual the rest of the food is poor. We had the wings as a starter and they were dangerously undercooked and more rubbery than truck tires, basically inedible. I'm just done with that place.

Thu dinner: The Ordinary. Fantastic as always. It's been my go to restaurant for the last year and it is consistently excellent. They've got some new dishes but the crab toast thing and oyster sliders are mandatory, and the raw tower is perfect and fresh as it always has been.

Fri lunch: Graze in MP. It's five minutes from my house and for some reason I had never been. Well, after today I might live there in the corner if they'll let me. I had an orgasmic steak sandwich and tasted my friend's excellent chicken and waffles. There's about twenty things more that I want to try ... if they're half as good as what I ate today I will be a happy man.

Five five minutes after lunch: We headed across the bridge to Cortaditos for cafe con leche, colada, and flan. Elisabeth is just about the nicest lady I have ever met and her coffee and home made sweets are to die for. If you're lucky enough to be there on a day when she has tres leches cake left consider yourself blessed by the divine.

Fri dinner: back to my newest favorite, the obstinate daughter. The best combination of food and warm ambience in Charleston. Something about the energy in that restaurant just feels positive and embracing. The cuisine is nothing that would excite food snobs, but it just works on every level. There's almost a calm humility to the place that doesn't feel like it needs to compete with the Husks of the world, in fact it's almost the anti-Husk, and that's what makes it great.

Back to the salad and watermelon diet for the next week ... no regrets, it was so worth it.
Glad to see someone else liking Cortaditos. I'm not a foodie (I'll eat anything) but I liked that place. I'll have to go back specifically for the deserts now. Came back from Cozumel recently and various versions of flan was one of treats we availed ourselves of on a regular basis.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
McCradys makes Forbes list of The 10 Coolest Places To Eat:

The 10 Coolest Places to Eat in 2017 | Forbes

Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM

515 posts, read 482,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
So I had a friend visit me the last couple of days, and this is the rundown:

Thu lunch: Husk. No matter how many times I go to this restaurant it never fails to disappoint. The burger is always ok, never anywhere near what people make of it, and as usual the rest of the food is poor. We had the wings as a starter and they were dangerously undercooked and more rubbery than truck tires, basically inedible. I'm just done with that place.

Thu dinner: The Ordinary. Fantastic as always. It's been my go to restaurant for the last year and it is consistently excellent. They've got some new dishes but the crab toast thing and oyster sliders are mandatory, and the raw tower is perfect and fresh as it always has been.

Fri lunch: Graze in MP. It's five minutes from my house and for some reason I had never been. Well, after today I might live there in the corner if they'll let me. I had an orgasmic steak sandwich and tasted my friend's excellent chicken and waffles. There's about twenty things more that I want to try ... if they're half as good as what I ate today I will be a happy man.

Five five minutes after lunch: We headed across the bridge to Cortaditos for cafe con leche, colada, and flan. Elisabeth is just about the nicest lady I have ever met and her coffee and home made sweets are to die for. If you're lucky enough to be there on a day when she has tres leches cake left consider yourself blessed by the divine.

Fri dinner: back to my newest favorite, the obstinate daughter. The best combination of food and warm ambience in Charleston. Something about the energy in that restaurant just feels positive and embracing. The cuisine is nothing that would excite food snobs, but it just works on every level. There's almost a calm humility to the place that doesn't feel like it needs to compete with the Husks of the world, in fact it's almost the anti-Husk, and that's what makes it great.

Back to the salad and watermelon diet for the next week ... no regrets, it was so worth it.
Agree that the burger at Husk is totally overrated. Had the fried chicken too, and it was underwhelming. It also took way too long to get the food. I haven't tried dinner there yet, but would not go back for lunch.

Also love Obstinate Daughter. It reminds me of a San Francisco restaurant in vibe. The short ribs are incredible.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 AM

973 posts, read 914,685 times
^Obstinate Daughter is the bomb. Great atmosphere and good food.

I tried Pawpaw the other week. Food and ambiance was nice, but the dessert was another level. Prices were pretty affordable too!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 AM

127 posts, read 138,887 times
I saw Rodney Scott's new BBQ place opened yesterday. Anybody get a chance to try it?

While I think bbq places sort of go better with a more rural or small town setting, like his restaurant in Hemingway, I hope he does well.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,010 times
Not a restaurant but food related ...

Over the last couple of months I have been on a quest for really good very spicy beef jerky. After ordering from vendors from all over the country, it turns out that one of the best beef jerky companies has a shop locally: http://www.charlestonhouseofjerky.com/shop.html

Tried the ghost pepper one this evening ... 1,000,000 scoville heat units, not sure how the old tummy is going to react but it was super delicious. I have to admit I had to have a glass of milk afterwards.

They have other milder flavors which I have tried and recommend, including their Biltong recipe.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:40 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,092 times
If all you needed was a glass of milk you didnt get any ghost pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area