Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
I just wonder how Massive the Nexton/Carnes Crossroads/Cane Bay development is gonna be on a retail scale.

I can easily see a Dave and Busters and other big name chain restaurants and stores build there. With all those developments connecting and becoming one will make that area hot. Not to mention the already cleared land across the street from Carnes Crossroads that's been built with infrastructure for 5 plus years.

Exciting times for North Charleston and Summerville.
Heck rather than Nexton just take a look at Cane Bay, still growing at a pretty fast rate as well..... I'm surprised none of the municipalities have tried to annex it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 PM

268 posts, read 281,277 times
Yeah I agree. It's not really in a town at all. Maybe Dummerville may try once the new interchange is built.

Isn't Carnes Crossroads Goose Creek though?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree. It's not really in a town at all. Maybe Dummerville may try once the new interchange is built.

Isn't Carnes Crossroads Goose Creek though?
Ya Carnes is GC, Summerville has some of Nexton in it but only the offices and maybe the apartment complex at the front. I'm surprised Moncks Corner has made a grab for more land to increase it's population, it could easily be on Goose Creeks level if it annexed a bit more.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 PM

On Carnes Crossroads website it says they're in Summerville.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
On Carnes Crossroads website it says they're in Summerville.
Google maps has it as Goose Creek

Old 04-23-2016, 04:02 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Both Carnes Crossroads and Cane Bay claim Summerville as their address (as do folks who live in Wescott). Cane Bay is at least 7 miles from Summerville. We talked about this is in another thread but here it seems to be an acceptable practice to just claim whatever city you actually want to live in or be associated with and just list it as your address.
I find it funny that it Cane Bay seems to find Goose Creek so undesirable they're willing to really stretch it and claim Summerville.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Yeah, and if those folks go on vacation somewhere, they will claim to be from Charleston.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:15 PM

244 posts, read 230,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Both Carnes Crossroads and Cane Bay claim Summerville as their address (as do folks who live in Wescott). Cane Bay is at least 7 miles from Summerville. We talked about this is in another thread but here it seems to be an acceptable practice to just claim whatever city you actually want to live in or be associated with and just list it as your address.
I find it funny that it Cane Bay seems to find Goose Creek so undesirable they're willing to really stretch it and claim Summerville.
Is there a big difference???

Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmt1 View Post
Is there a big difference???
Not in my opinion. Summerville has better shopping and schools and a nice downtown, but if don't live close to those amenities anyway, there's no point in claiming to live there unless a somebody (like a developer) is trying to make false associations.

The way marketing works these days, people mainly shop for houses by internet searches. Dorchester 2 is known to be a good general school district. This is because they cut off all the poorer rural communities of Dorchester County and concentrated the district around the middle class town of Summerville. People associate Summerville with good schools because the bulk of it is in Dorchester County in the Dorchester 2 school district. Some of Summerville is actually in Berkeley County which has more of a negative reputation for schools, but as long as you make the correct association with Summerville (which in turn is associated with Dorchester 2) you might trick a few middle class transplants from out of state to live there to end up with an actual middle class community that ends up with a better school. I think it's their solution to the chicken or the egg problem. Middle class families want good schools , but you can't create good schools without middle class families. It worked for Daniel Island and the association with Charleston.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Not in my opinion. Summerville has better shopping and schools and a nice downtown, but if don't live close to those amenities anyway, there's no point in claiming to live there unless a somebody (like a developer) is trying to make false associations.

The way marketing works these days, people mainly shop for houses by internet searches. Dorchester 2 is known to be a good general school district. This is because they cut off all the poorer rural communities of Dorchester County and concentrated the district around the middle class town of Summerville. People associate Summerville with good schools because the bulk of it is in Dorchester County in the Dorchester 2 school district. Some of Summerville is actually in Berkeley County which has more of a negative reputation for schools, but as long as you make the correct association with Summerville (which in turn is associated with Dorchester 2) you might trick a few middle class transplants from out of state to live there to end up with an actual middle class community that ends up with a better school. I think it's their solution to the chicken or the egg problem. Middle class families want good schools , but you can't create good schools without middle class families. It worked for Daniel Island and the association with Charleston.
I would say that Carnes Crossroads and maybe even Cane Bay are closer to Downtown Summerville than they are to Goose Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area