Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
This is so funny. This was in place of a few big box stores and will somehow produce less traffic and impact?
Build build build, as I reminisce about the good ole days

But hey, it brings jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
What is being built at the foot of the bridge at the Meeting Street exit? If I missed something on this, sorry.
Student housing project:

http://930nomo.com/

Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I looked at that one a few months back- basically right on top of the Ravanel Bridge exit. I was skeptical about a mass of college kids moving that far up but I assume its possible with rents downtown continuing to move upwards.

I am pretty startled by the number of apartments and condos being built in the area. There will be a large set built at Patriots Point, another at Longpoint, another building at The Tides, a large apartment building in the main area of Daniel Island and a huge one is going up on James Island. Part of me wonders where all the people will work to afford the sky high rents/prices but mainly I can't help but cringe at traffic. The one on James Island is right near the Terrace & I can't imagine it not being a traffic nightmare.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I looked at that one a few months back- basically right on top of the Ravanel Bridge exit. I was skeptical about a mass of college kids moving that far up but I assume its possible with rents downtown continuing to move upwards.

I am pretty startled by the number of apartments and condos being built in the area. There will be a large set built at Patriots Point, another at Longpoint, another building at The Tides, a large apartment building in the main area of Daniel Island and a huge one is going up on James Island. Part of me wonders where all the people will work to afford the sky high rents/prices but mainly I can't help but cringe at traffic. The one on James Island is right near the Terrace & I can't imagine it not being a traffic nightmare.
Charleston metro is doing very well in the way of rent price increases which could be driving the number of new apartment projects.

Smaller Cities Led Way in Rent Increases in 2014 - WSJ

The projects you noted above is really just a sampling of what is being built or proposed.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Most apartment complexes now use a computer app that calculates the percentage of vacancies in the area and set the rates based on that -- so they fluctuate quite a bit. Here in the Charleston area there was a huge shortage of decent rentals.....now there probably will be a surplus....based on that expect prices to level out until demand increases once again.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:27 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Finally some more information about the Horizon project
Horizon project’s first phase includes apartments, parking deck on Charleston’s west side - Post and Courier

Old 01-14-2015, 06:12 PM

Yeah i saw that, massive parking garage.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:38 PM

New Park West town center plan triggers concern - Post and Courier

Cambridge Square coming to Park West.

Cambridge Square is a mixed-use development, combining neighborhood-oriented retail and other commercial uses with both single-family and upscale multifamily housing. Outdoor seating areas as well as bike and golf cart parking and easy pedestrian access will make Cambridge Square a natural gathering spot for residents to enjoy a cup of coffee, lunch, ice cream or a glass of wine.

Phase 1 will include approximately 16,300 square feet of commercial space and 262 multifamily residential units. Phase 2 will include 21 single-family detached residential units and 36 residential townhomes. Phase 3 is planned to consist of 20 live/work townhomes and approximately 28,000 square feet of commercial space.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Yea that would be bad.. real bad. I'm fine with the commercial that's zoned for there now, but not more homes. The city needs to fix the roads that do exist and put another two lanes along Park West Blvd where there land is already set aside and cleared for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 AM

2 more apartment complexes being proposed.

A 203-unit complex called Proximity is proposed for a 16-acre site off Bees Ferry Road across from Bees Ferry Apartments and not far from the West Ashley Wal-Mart. The nine-building, three- and four-story units are being developed by R.K. Investors of Charlotte. Just 10 of the acres are developable. The rest of the property are wetlands.

Another 27-unit, three-story apartment development called Meritage is planned for Theresa Drive on James Island off Harbor View Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area