Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 09:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
From what I understand, the boat dealer has a long term lease there—10 or more years. Trader Joe's typically likes to locate as close to a Whole Foods location as possible. While I much prefer infill development, if Food Lion didn't make it there, I'm not sure that Trader Joe's would either.

I have heard rumblings that the former Ryan's is set to be demolished with apartments taking its place.
I'm surprised to hear that Rogue Motion would have a 10+year lease at the Ryan's site. I know they were wanting to build apts there and I'm guessing RM is not the most lucrative tenant... I thought it was probably a shorter term agreement made when RM lost their space to the new Publix on James Island.

The Ryans parcel includes the old Food Lion, CVS, the shops along the side there with the Chinese Restaurant and it also includes the old gas station site on the corner. The same owners also own the Mex 1 parcel as well as the first two houses going down that side of Avondale. Afaict, they don't own the sliver where the bridal shop on 61 sits. However you slice it, it's a very valuable chunk of ground and don't know why they would tie it up with a lease for 10 years. It's not my world though and there's probably a lot I'm missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:00 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:

Yeah. The same thing was said about Dairy Queen a few years ago. In their defense, they tried to get a location, but it fell through. And apparently the location on James Island fell through as well. I'm wary of these announcements where a franchiser plans to open a bunch of new outlets. Still, it would be nice to have.
The Goose Creek DQ is nice.... and I'm extremely surprised that the Checkers that had sat empty since early last year was finally opened 2-3 months ago.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:40 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I'm surprised to hear that Rogue Motion would have a 10+year lease at the Ryan's site. I know they were wanting to build apts there and I'm guessing RM is not the most lucrative tenant... I thought it was probably a shorter term agreement made when RM lost their space to the new Publix on James Island.

The Ryans parcel includes the old Food Lion, CVS, the shops along the side there with the Chinese Restaurant and it also includes the old gas station site on the corner. The same owners also own the Mex 1 parcel as well as the first two houses going down that side of Avondale. Afaict, they don't own the sliver where the bridal shop on 61 sits. However you slice it, it's a very valuable chunk of ground and don't know why they would tie it up with a lease for 10 years. It's not my world though and there's probably a lot I'm missing.

There's a submittal going before the TRC on Oct 2nd for pre-approval of an apartment building with an interior parking deck for 65 Sycamore Ave., which is the old Food Lion, CVS, etc property. It's a 9.5 acre tract according to the TRC document.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
There's a submittal going before the TRC on Oct 2nd for pre-approval of an apartment building with an interior parking deck for 65 Sycamore Ave., which is the old Food Lion, CVS, etc property. It's a 9.5 acre tract according to the TRC document.
County records as I see them say 9.02 Acre but who's gonna quibble... it's over 10 acres if you include Mex 1 and the first two lots down Avondale. I'd guess the owner of the Bridal shop lot is holding out for a big payday!

Old 09-25-2020, 11:19 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
This isn’t related to new buildings, but it is a major win and involves construction. The governor is expected to sign a bill allowing local governments to use tourism tax revenue to fix flooding issues with new drainage projects and other water-level-management-related construction. It’s a great day in Charleston, as this has been a few years in the making at Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg’s urging. It was his idea.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:56 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
County records as I see them say 9.02 Acre but who's gonna quibble... it's over 10 acres if you include Mex 1 and the first two lots down Avondale. I'd guess the owner of the Bridal shop lot is holding out for a big payday!
They are not going to be able to combine those two lots on Avondale with the other or change zoning on them. The last 3-4 time people have tried to bring a property to commercial or incorporate into a business its blown up- one was supposedly them wanting that to be parking and another was Cooper School trying to expand onto a lot interior to Avondale. Pitch forks and lit torches come out!

I'm not sure it they could combine the Mex 1 lot or not but even as an auxillary that site could be put to really good use if you tear down the current building. Any word on whether they will accommodate businesses on the first floor? Hopefully they will as that whole stretch is starting to see more foot traffic.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
This isn’t related to new buildings, but it is a major win and involves construction. The governor is expected to sign a bill allowing local governments to use tourism tax revenue to fix flooding issues with new drainage projects and other water-level-management-related construction. It’s a great day in Charleston, as this has been a few years in the making at Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg’s urging. It was his idea.
And after today’s rain downtown, this news is up there with the Boeing announcement years ago, probably bigger. It is becoming existential for Charleston.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:15 PM

310 posts, read 258,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
I had originally heard the redevelopment would be just for the Ryan's parcel. I'll try to get some more info on that next week. A mixed use development there would be...interesting. Is Gramling still involved with the project?

And I fully admit I may be wrong about the 10 year lease on Rogue Motion. The original P&C article stated that they planed to stay there until a new property on Johns Island can be developed.

Has anyone heard anything on a new Rogue Motion store on Johns Island?

Old 09-25-2020, 10:23 PM

310 posts, read 258,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Slight caveat - the tourism tax revenue can only be applied to drainage projects in "tourist areas".

Somehow I suspect anyplace that's not downtown will (again) miss out on getting a slice from the a-tax and h-tax pies.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Slight caveat - the tourism tax revenue can only be applied to drainage projects in "tourist areas".

Somehow I suspect anyplace that's not downtown will (again) miss out on getting a slice from the a-tax and h-tax pies.
As a James Island resident of the city of Charleston, downtown's future as it relates to flooding is my main concern. Flooding in other areas of the city and county can be mitigated by ending the practice of filling in marsh, which they have promised to stop doing, the city anyway. And you never know - I'm sure they can stretch it when it comes to saying what's tourism-related or not. At any rate it's a major win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area