Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 PM

27 posts, read 43,077 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Charleston. The last time I visited was about 6 years ago and it was with a group that went to the aquarium and Fort Sumter so I didn't get a great feel for how walkable the city is, but being able to walk or bike is a big selling point for me so tell me, on average, how walkable is this city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 PM

73 posts, read 129,543 times
It's not. I don't know a single person who doesn't own a vehicle.

It may be doable if you live downtown and work at, say, MUSC, but you would have one hell of a time going grocery shopping. Want to go to the beach? Not happening.

Charleston just isn't the place to be car-less.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,961,417 times
Depends on where you live and where you work, a good chunk of the city nearest to the bridge has sidewalks or bike paths though.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
I am considering moving to Charleston. The last time I visited was about 6 years ago and it was with a group that went to the aquarium and Fort Sumter so I didn't get a great feel for how walkable the city is, but being able to walk or bike is a big selling point for me so tell me, on average, how walkable is this city?

By city, I'm assuming you mean downtown...
Very walkable. Gym, shopping, groceries, beach -> All doable by bike

The buses have compartments on the front bumper where you can fit your bike. So anywhere buses go, you can bring your bike

If you're not feeling driving a car and you live downtown, another option is a golf cart, they are legal and you can travel anywhere downtown with them (up too 3 miles from your house ).. I use mine for quick trips.

Last edited by Chs2014; 05-26-2014 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Walkscore.org gives Charleston a walk score of 34 out of 100. Select neighborhoods on the peninsula score higher.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Walkscore.org gives Charleston a walk score of 34 out of 100. Select neighborhoods on the peninsula score higher.
This is misleading because 29407 is West Ashley, Charleston County

But if you look at downtown 29401 and 29403. Both rank high

also Charleston County has more zip codes (not just the 3 used to give you the inaccurate walking score)

Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
I work with people that live downtown and bike to work. I also know some people without cars that get around by bike and bus. One lives in West Ashley and takes the bus to Mt. P for work, another lives in N. Charleston and takes the bus to work in Mt. P, and two others live in Mt. P and go everywhere on their bikes. Depending on where you live, I don't think you would have any problems getting around by bike. As mentioned by someone else, the buses have bike racks, so you can go anywhere the bus goes.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 AM

363 posts, read 439,971 times
My daughter recently moved to downtown Charleston. She walks, takes the free trolley and once, she rode her beautiful bike to work, and it was stolen. Thief broke the lock right off. Believe it not, her bike was recovered and returned to her within the week! Now that would never happen in Chicago!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 AM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
This is misleading because 29407 is West Ashley, Charleston County

But if you look at downtown 29401 and 29403. Both rank high

also Charleston County has more zip codes (not just the 3 used to give you the inaccurate walking score)
That's why I said select neighborhoods on the peninsula score higher.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM

46 posts, read 76,061 times
Parts of the peninsula are walkable. I'd say the closer you live to Calhoun Street or King Street, the better off you'd be as far as being able to shop, dine, and find entertainment all within walking distance. The free downtown shuttle bus would extend your range. You should look at their map, but be aware that most of the neighborhoods the shuttle passes through are historic and pricey to live in.

There is a nice area for cycling in the suburbs along the West Ashley Greenway. (Walking may be possible if you live very close to the shopping areas near the Greenway). But that is a rare exception. The suburbs were built to accommodate automobiles. There is a large community of people who support making neighborhoods pedestrian and cyclist friendly, but there are also a lot of people who just want bigger and more expensive roads. The latter are the people who choose to live 30 miles from their work, and then they complain about the traffic. If you move here, please be outspoken about the many ways in which new development could be better. We could use your help dragging some people out of the dark ages.

Downtown Shuttle Route Map

Last edited by Native_Ink; 05-27-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area