Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 8,311 times

Advertisements

hello,

i've lurked around at the many posts regarding moving to charleston, but i haven't had all of my questions answered.
We currently live in CT and my husbands company is considering moving the business to Charleston. This has been a dream for him and his partners. This past winter here and the insane taxes we pay just to live/work in this state may be the straw that broke the camels back!

Here are my questions:
Where are the best schools? There would be several families moving down, currently all elementary aged. We are coming from VERY good schools, so I know this will be #1 for many. I saw some information on private schools as well. This wouldn't be out of the question for HS if the cost is not insane.

Best place to live? I know this is highly subjective and through my initial search i think Mt. Pleasant would be a good fit. I know we will want to be near the beach and the group would be looking for homes between $600-$1M.

They would like the office space to be in downtown charleston. There will be several young, single men moving down as well and i assume they will want to live downtown. Sounds like the nightlife and social scene would be good for them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 AM

657 posts, read 738,490 times
Public schools = Mt. Pleasant (in your $600k house price range).

Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,612 times
Daniel Island

Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,147 times
If your budget is that big and you want good schools, definitely look at Mt. Pleasant. Close to the beach as well.

You could also look at some parts of West Ashley, near Folly Rd. There are some really nice neighborhoods out there close to Porter Gaud, but that's a private school. You'd be fairly close to downtown and near Folly Beach. That area just has a different feel/atmosphere than Mt. Pleasant.

I'd check out Daniel Island too. Never hurts to look around!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Mt Pleasant is the first choice to come to mind. It's possible some families would find good living situations and schools they're satisfied with on Daniel Island, James Island and West Ashley as well but Mt Pleasant is going to offer the most options to fit your description.

If the office space it downtown, all of these areas would be equally convenient.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:35 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Local brought up a very good point- where would the office be located? Many people do not realize how little of the local office space is really downtown. A ton of it is in North Charleston and Daniel Island and the Summerville/Nexton areas are also adding a lot of office space.

Most people really do not want to have to do big commutes if they can be avoided. If the office ends up on Daniel Island I think Daniel Island or directly off 526 or Old Village in Mt Pleasant will jump to the top of your list. If they are in North Charleston you might be pretty open to any of Downtown, West Ashley, Mt Pleasant & even Johns & James Islands since they will be linking those to 526. Further out in Summerville or Nexton you will really be better living in Summerville. At $1 million mark you could buy a nice home up there and a shack on Folly Beach or condo closer to one of the beaches.

Look into the private schools before you decide since most of the better 'name' schools are pretty pricey by SC standards.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 AM

10 posts, read 8,311 times
Thank you all so much for your information! My husband owns the company, so offices can be anywhere they like. They were thinking downtown, but are open to anything. There is a mix of families with children and young, single guys in the company.
We are coming down in April to look around with "moving eyes," not just vacation eyes!

Thanks again!

Also, my husband got freaked out when he read about the black widow spiders and snakes down there. Honestly doesn't bother me, i'm sure Lyme disease and ticks would freak someone out moving to CT! But, it gave me a giggle none the less.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBeachBabies View Post
Thank you all so much for your information! My husband owns the company, so offices can be anywhere they like. They were thinking downtown, but are open to anything. There is a mix of families with children and young, single guys in the company.
We are coming down in April to look around with "moving eyes," not just vacation eyes!

Thanks again!

Also, my husband got freaked out when he read about the black widow spiders and snakes down there. Honestly doesn't bother me, i'm sure Lyme disease and ticks would freak someone out moving to CT! But, it gave me a giggle none the less.
It's a funny thing; that instinctive fear that some people have of snakes and spiders. Have him look at some statistics for snake bite deaths in the entire US... less than 10 people per year. Black Widows? No reported deaths in at least the last 10 years. You'll take a greater risk traveling here to visit than from snakes/spiders if you lived here the rest of your lives. Driving on I-95? Now that can be scary!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
There is no question that the Mount Pleasant schools are among the best if not the best in the area. Now there are good schools elsewhere but for soup to nuts (K to 12), one cannot do better then Mount Pleasant especially in Charleston County. As an example DI does not have a public high school. Their kids go to Berkley High School.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 PM

324 posts, read 807,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There is no question that the Mount Pleasant schools are among the best if not the best in the area. Now there are good schools elsewhere but for soup to nuts (K to 12), one cannot do better then Mount Pleasant especially in Charleston County. As an example DI does not have a public high school. Their kids go to Berkley High School.
DI kids attend Hanahan High School. Hanahan High is rated as excellent.

http://ed.sc.gov/data/embargoed/repo...c/h0801008.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area