Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times

Advertisements

Hanahan High School in Hanahan SC - SchoolDigger.com

Wando High School in Mount Pleasant SC - SchoolDigger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
DI kids attend Hanahan High School. Hanahan High is rated as excellent.

http://ed.sc.gov/data/embargoed/repo...c/h0801008.pdf
In any case ...presently the majority of high school kids on the island go private .. esp to Bishop England which is on the island to which they can walk/ bike or(horrors) drive..... in addition.. in the fall of 2017 .. a newly built public high school will be opened for Daniel Island area residents... and while a no rating can be assumed at this point ... since most of the kids will be coming from the 10 rated middle and lower schools on the island
... Id be surprised if it wasn't well rated

In addition ... Mt Pleasant will at around the same time or shortly thereafter .. also be opening a new high school since Wando has close to 5000 kids attending at this point ...which pretty much saturates the place....

There are a number of fine private schools in the area as well ... and while they are considered expensive by SC standards ... they are veritable bargains compared to private day schools in CT.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM

324 posts, read 807,203 times
Both are very good schools. Wando is undoubtedly the higher ranked of the two but a student has the opportunity to get a great education at either.

https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/...c/h1001014.pdf

Personally I put about as much trust in a site like schooldigger.com, as I do in a fart after dinner and drinks at La Hacienda.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBeachBabies View Post
Thank you all so much for your information! My husband owns the company, so offices can be anywhere they like. They were thinking downtown, but are open to anything. There is a mix of families with children and young, single guys in the company.
We are coming down in April to look around with "moving eyes," not just vacation eyes!

Thanks again!

Also, my husband got freaked out when he read about the black widow spiders and snakes down there. Honestly doesn't bother me, i'm sure Lyme disease and ticks would freak someone out moving to CT! But, it gave me a giggle none the less.
I guess I should have asked where in CT you would be moving from .... in order to get a sense of the lifestyle youll be looking for and the areas that might approximate it. If youre coming from say .. Enfield
...there are plenty of places where youll be comfortable ... if from Fairfield County ... your choices will narrow substantially....

When I get to the Doc's to refill my Lymes meds ... and get asked where in hell did you get Lymes disease ... I just say .. Connecticut... and they smile .. and understand ...lol

Old 03-23-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Both are very good schools. Wando is undoubtedly the higher ranked of the two but a student has the opportunity to get a great education at either.

https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/...c/h1001014.pdf

Personally I put about as much trust in a site like schooldigger.com, as I do in a fart after dinner and drinks at La Hacienda.
And yet if you dig into the state reports you'll find a lot of validity in schooldigger because they pull their stats from the state. "Excellent" schools aren't equivalent to each other simply because of the title.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I guess I should have asked where in CT you would be moving from .... in order to get a sense of the lifestyle youll be looking for and the areas that might approximate it. If youre coming from say .. Enfield
...there are plenty of places where youll be comfortable ... if from Fairfield County ... your choices will narrow substantially....

When I get to the Doc's to refill my Lymes meds ... and get asked where in hell did you get Lymes disease ... I just say .. Connecticut... and they smile .. and understand ...lol
You're right, cynic1, because CT is wildly diverse in character despite its tiny size. Where I spent most of my life there determined where I live now.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 PM

324 posts, read 807,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
And yet if you dig into the state reports you'll find a lot of validity in schooldigger because they pull their stats from the state. "Excellent" schools aren't equivalent to each other simply because of the title.
Have you read the entire thread? Nobody had stated that the schools are equivalent to each other. In fact, Wando was not even mentioned in my original post. The intention of my post was to correct johngolf on his statement that DI students go to Berkeley High School, which they do not, and to give information on the correct school. I had forgotten that before I mention a school in this forum, I must first explain that Mt Pleasant's schools are better. My bad.

Last edited by johnnypockets; 03-23-2015 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM

Perhaps you should be the one to review the thread as both MtP and DI have been discussed. You opened the door to school performance.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
DI kids attend Hanahan High School. Hanahan High is rated as excellent.

Sorry. My mistake. Hanahan High School, part of the Berkley County School System.

So back on point. If moving to the Charleston area and "evaluating" areas/school systems for all grades/levels, were would one chose? I still say the answer is MTP.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 AM

10 posts, read 8,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post

We are coming from Fairfield County. We are not snobby, northeasters, which is one of the reasons we want to get out of the rat race of the NYC area. This is a lifestyle change. Slower pace, warmer weather, lower taxes. Job will still be just as stressful, but better to de-stress on a boat year round rather than fight horrible traffic every morning and night.

Only real comparisons we are looking for is nice homes, good schools, nice stores and restaurants. Charleston is appealing because of the beautiful and historic city, the weather, and the water/beaches (many of us sail.)

Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area