Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,519,677 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be attending in 3 years, and to save money(lots of money), we are just asking others that have attended for medical studies, anesthesiologist for example, what their overall costs really came out too, follow on schools internship etc etc. I see the tuition, credit hour cost etc , but I know there is more to the story.
She will be living here at home, so that will defer some costs..She will do 3 semesters a year.
Anyone can pm me with their costs they experienced, or post it here if comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 05:03 PM

120 posts, read 153,602 times
What are you asking?

Is this in reference to cost / benefit of the College of Charleston as a choice with the intention of then applying to medical school?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO10 View Post
What are you asking?

Is this in reference to cost / benefit of the College of Charleston as a choice with the intention of then applying to medical school?
I am asking what it costs overall, to go to this college and get a degree in Nursing to be a Anesthetist . Or cost to continue to be a MD anesthesiologist.
Am I am missing something in asking?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,451,600 times
Steve, Just be aware that, 3 yrs from now, the costs will most likely be higher than they are now.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Steve, Just be aware that, 3 yrs from now, the costs will most likely be higher than they are now.
Just trying to get an idea. Seems there is basic tuition, lab, credit hour costs. Bu the way things oufnkw I know its going to higher. Feds will raise interest rates soon,, so everything will start getting pricier.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,368,579 times
Are you talking about becoming a CRNA?

To to be a CRNA I would suggest RN from Trident then get a job in a critical care area of a hospital. While working, because you'll need the experience to apply for the master's program, you complete the RN to BSN program from MUSC. If you've gotten very good grades, are at the top of your class, have excellent references you might have a shot at one of the slots. When we went through it there were over 300 applicants for 15 slots.

Once through the program it will be highly likely that you'll need to find employment outside of Charleston as the market is really tight here.

My suggestion would be to take a good look at Nurse Practitioner. I don't mean to dissuade you, but just understand what the reality of the situation is. People do it every year, just walk in with your eyes wide open.

I believe current tuition is available online. I'm sure you can do your own homework on that.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 PM

120 posts, read 153,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Are you talking about becoming a CRNA?

To to be a CRNA I would suggest RN from Trident then get a job in a critical care area of a hospital. While working, because you'll need the experience to apply for the master's program, you complete the RN to BSN program from MUSC. If you've gotten very good grades, are at the top of your class, have excellent references you might have a shot at one of the slots. When we went through it there were over 300 applicants for 15 slots.

Once through the program it will be highly likely that you'll need to find employment outside of Charleston as the market is really tight here.

My suggestion would be to take a good look at Nurse Practitioner. I don't mean to dissuade you, but just understand what the reality of the situation is. People do it every year, just walk in with your eyes wide open.

I believe current tuition is available online. I'm sure you can do your own homework on that.
This is kind of what I was alluding to.

The original question was a bit confusing. If you are talking about the cost and the road to becoming an anesthesiologist, it is far more complicated than simply an issue with costs related to the College of Charleston. Even the costs and time associated to become a nurse anesthetist are more than just an issue related to college choice.
C of C is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

The original post mentioned anesthesiologist specifically. I think you may need to get a better grasp on exactly which career path your family member may be considering.

Anything medical (Anesthesia, etc) is going to require a 4 year college degree (tuition), plus 4 years of medical school (even higher tuition), plus the cost of living expenses during both. In college there is the potential for working at the same time as being as student to offset the cost, but as a medical student I can assure you there is no time for holding any meaningful outside source of employment for income. The primary options are to have family support for living costs and/or tuition or take on additional student loans for one or both.

Internship and residency are additional training that come with a paycheck; however, that paycheck will not be enough to cover the full burden of student loan repayment. Without any family support you can expect student loan amounts to top $150,000 - $200,000 after college. That doesn't even begin to factor in the opportunity cost of giving up one's mid to late 20s and even early 30s spent in school and training before beginning to truly enter the workforce and begin the process of both earning and saving.

A good college degree is a necessity to get into medical school. You don't need to break the bank to get there, but a sound foundation is absolutely worth it. Whether or not CofC is the right choice for that plan is debatable and something that is more of a personal choice than anyone on this forum can probably help you to decide.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,233,637 times
I've known a couple of people who did the nurse anesthetistat MUSC. I'm not sure if its a requirment but all three had undergrad nursing degrees and had worked for what seemed like 3-4 years. Two have left the area for better job opportunities and one is graduating in Decemeber- but has already started out of town interviews because the local market is tight and either Roper or Trident closed some surgery center putting another couple of people in the job pool.

One went to Charleston Southern undergrad, one went to Southern Illinois and I'm not sure about the third.

Like all grad programs, you need to chart your plan but there is no guarantee you will even get into a program. When I was in college everyone wanted to be a PT but only a handful made it into programs because it was very competitive at that time. So pull the prerequisites and have an appropriate undergrad degree but make sure its one that also offers other prospects.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
Most university/college sites have a page where they show estimated cost for attending that facility. That will be a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: