Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:23 PM

77 posts, read 91,538 times

Advertisements

Not only did I not take my husband's name but our children all have my last name. Here's a shocker...it has nothing to do with being a feminist and my children know they have a mother and father!! My husband happens to be a progressive thinking man who knows my opinion is just as important as his.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM712 View Post
Not only did I not take my husband's name but our children all have my last name. Here's a shocker...it has nothing to do with being a feminist and my children know they have a mother and father!! My husband happens to be a progressive thinking man who knows my opinion is just as important as his.
"Progressive thinking"...that's a funny way to describe it.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM712 View Post
You missed the point. No one cares about the fact that you kept your last name or who's name y'all decided to give to your kids. The truly odd part is the need to establish a social group around such an inane topic.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
To quote the great American poet, Alan Jackson, "We ain't as backward as we used to be".

As far as I'm concerned, you may use whatever names you choose. But your approach in explaining your viewpoint does take on a bit of a militant tone. That, I can guarantee, will not go over well with much of the population.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I don't understand the big deal, I kept my legal name simply because I did not want to go through the legal hassle of changing it again. No hidden agenda or secret feminist issues, just one less legal issue to deal with.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 AM

252 posts, read 264,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't understand the big deal, I kept my legal name simply because I did not want to go through the legal hassle of changing it again. No hidden agenda or secret feminist issues, just one less legal issue to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
You missed the point. No one cares about the fact that you kept your last name or who's name y'all decided to give to your kids. The truly odd part is the need to establish a social group around such an inane topic.
^^^

Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
I will point out that in Canada, and especially in Quebec, it is a normal thing to see either a hyphenated family name, where the woman's last name is used, plus the husbands family name, or the woman retains her birth name.

One example. Our Prime Minister is Justin Trudeau, his wife is known as Sophie Gregoire Trudeau. Gregoire was her family name before she married.

Jim B.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM

252 posts, read 264,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I will point out that in Canada, and especially in Quebec, it is a normal thing to see either a hyphenated family name, where the woman's last name is used, plus the husbands family name, or the woman retains her birth name.

One example. Our Prime Minister is Justin Trudeau, his wife is known as Sophie Gregoire Trudeau. Gregoire was her family name before she married.

Jim B.
Sure, you see that all the time in the States too. It's pretty common with professional women who get married, but want to keep their maiden name for business contact purposes. It's not that big of a deal, but that's not the point of contention here.

What has some of us here puzzled, as has been stated, restated, and quoted, is why it's SUCH a big deal that someone needs a social circle with that as a criteria.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
From wikipedia because I'm too lazy to explain....lol...

Canada[edit]
Main article: Canadian name
In most of Canada, either gender may informally assume the spouse's surname after marriage, so long as it isn't for the purposes of fraud. The same is true for people in common-law relationships, in some provinces. This is not considered a legal name change.[3] For federal purposes, such as a Canadian passport, Canadians may also assume their partner's surname if they are in a common-law relationship.[4] In the province of British Columbia, people have to undergo a legal name change if they want to use a combined surname after marriage.[5] Their marriage certificate is considered proof of their new name.[6][7]

The custom in Québec was similar to the one in France until 1981. Women would traditionally go by their husbands' surname in daily life, but their maiden name remained their legal name.[8] Since the passage of a 1981 provincial law intended to promote gender equality as outlined in the Québec Charter of Rights, no change may be made to a person's name without the authorization of the registrar of civil status or the authorization of the court. Newlyweds who wish to change their names upon marriage must therefore go through the same procedure as those changing their names for other reasons. The registrar of civil status may authorize a name change if: 1) the name the person generally uses does not correspond to the name on their birth certificate, 2) the name is of foreign origin or too difficult to pronounce or write in its original form, or 3) the name invites ridicule or has become infamous.[9] This law does not make it legal for a woman to immediately change her name upon marriage, as marriage is not listed among the reasons for a name change.[10]

(Canadian whose parents were French Canadian & whose mother took her husband's name back in the early 50's.)

And yes -- who cares.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM

363 posts, read 439,971 times
I do think it's important that all of my friend's names have either 6 or 8 letters, all of their children's names have 4 letters or less, or begin with the same consonants, and none of their husband's have mustaches. But that's only after I move to Charleston in a year, and before I learn to play the ukelele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area