Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:46 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
I do think it's important that all of my friend's names have either 6 or 8 letters, all of their children's names have 4 letters or less, or begin with the same consonants, and none of their husband's have mustaches. But that's only after I move to Charleston in a year, and before I learn to play the ukelele.
You win City-Data Charleston for today.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
As.. great, as some of the contributions here are, I feel I have to remind some of you that a thread is not an invitation to rant about things vaguely related. It has a topic and it would be great if you at least tried to address it. You don't have to agree, but you have to remain calm and respectful.
And on topic.
Oh, and you don't actually have to post in a thread if you have nothing relevant to add.
Yac.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,852 times
I don't give a rats ass what someone's last name is and why would this be an issue?

Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM

106 posts, read 139,239 times
Default You're probably right LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
Have you ever been to Charleston for any appreciable amount of time? Going by your username, I'm guessing you're left-leaning and from Washington. While there are people of all political stripes here, the area as a whole is generally conservative, especially compared with Washington. I'm sure there are more than a few women here who don't change their names after marriage, but I have doubts that they're so wrapped up in that as an identity that they seek out others who do the same for socializing.

I have a feeling you may be in for a culture shock.
jonrd....., Been away from this site for a while. I actually took this username because I was planning to move to WA, but for now, I'm staying East. I prefer people who believe in not changing names because of marriage, but no doubt will like and meet others who change names for reasons other than anti-feminism. But I do insist on friends who are not "deathists". (google transhumanism)

Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
I don't give a rats ass what someone's last name is and why would this be an issue?
Exactly. What a bizarre criteria!

Old 06-07-2016, 01:44 PM

Default yes i had a mother and father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Feminists should remember they had a mother and father. Why write such a militant thing here ? It's very traditional here, so just go straight to Florida.
...and maiden names are usually the fathers names or at some point go back to a father's name. I'm trying to help empower women...but I'm not getting very far. Planning to write a very unusual article about why if husband and wife are both unemployed and only one job is available at that time, the wife should take the job. but...yes this is the Charleston forum and my situation there will probably be rougher for me than it is here in PA, which I'm trying to get out of ASAP. Maybe even there, though, if I find some highly intellectual people I can find a few outliers like myself.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Exactly. What a bizarre criteria!
It seems bizarre I'm sure to everyone who is not sensitive to the topic of a woman keeping her name.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
Have you ever been to Charleston for any appreciable amount of time? Going by your username, I'm guessing you're left-leaning and from Washington. While there are people of all political stripes here, the area as a whole is generally conservative, especially compared with Washington. I'm sure there are more than a few women here who don't change their names after marriage, but I have doubts that they're so wrapped up in that as an identity that they seek out others who do the same for socializing.

I have a feeling you may be in for a culture shock.
jonrd....., you sound very objective, at least you're post is one of the most objective in the thread. I have been to MB basically for a day in the 1960's. I have seen the shows Arranged and Married by Mom and Dad, each so far, with an arranged (and traditional) marriage in Charleston. So this is another way I have an idea of what I'm "in for" if I move to Charleston.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:05 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
jonrd....., you sound very objective, at least you're post is one of the most objective in the thread. I have been to MB basically for a day in the 1960's. I have seen the shows Arranged and Married by Mom and Dad, each so far, with an arranged (and traditional) marriage in Charleston. So this is another way I have an idea of what I'm "in for" if I move to Charleston.
So you will base a city on something you saw on a cable reality TV show?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:07 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
There's nothing intellectual about this entire topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area