Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:55 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,604,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnst View Post
When would these go into effect? I swear it looks like our potential place is going from a VE to AE...
John, It looks that way to me too. I'd check with your insurance agent asap. It might change some of the necessary building requirements (though I realize it might be too late for your house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:06 AM

58 posts, read 82,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
John, It looks that way to me too. I'd check with your insurance agent asap. It might change some of the necessary building requirements (though I realize it might be too late for your house).
Yeah, too late for the build (piers are already up and framing is going on now). We're building to VE reqs, I would assume AE are much less stringent.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnst View Post
Yeah, too late for the build (piers are already up and framing is going on now). We're building to VE reqs, I would assume AE are much less stringent.
Oh well, better over protected than under.

Edit: I'm out of time to look at this now but afaict, the "Projected Effective Date" for these changes on James Island is 04/04/2018.

Last edited by LocalHero; 09-14-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 07:36 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,071,824 times
Quote:
I believe if you go here:
https://msc.fema.gov/portal/availabi...hresultsanchor

and click on "Preliminary Products" and then "Preliminary FIRM Panels"

and download map# 45019C0489K it will include your house.

It's hard to see how they could have come up with a less intuitive design for this information.
Thanks so much. That was so non-intuitive.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,949,923 times
johnst --
The VE is a Velocity Zone, so even if you're not going to be in that Zone.....it's probably a good idea to build to those Requirements. The extra roof strapping and bracing may get you a discount on your "Wind & Haii" coverage, so be sure and mention to your agent.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
johnst --
The VE is a Velocity Zone, so even if you're not going to be in that Zone.....it's probably a good idea to build to those Requirements. The extra roof strapping and bracing may get you a discount on your "Wind & Haii" coverage, so be sure and mention to your agent.
Yes, VE is Velocity Zone but I believe that refers to expected wave action. In a VE zone, FEMA is assuming there could be wave action that would potentially take out the foundation to a house.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:46 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times
If you're watching the forecast, we may see some updated flood maps.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times
Quote:
It could. Was any part of your house in the AE zone before? The definitive answer will come from your insurance agent but it's definitely a question to ask.
The actual house, no. With the existing maps the space occupied by the house is AE but the house is not since it's on a crawlspace. This would push the whole structure out of it, except possibly for where I want to add a pool.

Makes sense though, the place didn't flood for Gracie, Hugo or the big rains last fall. I'm going to recompete car and home insurance anyway once the new maps are in effect. It'll be fun. edit: Unless the new maps go into effect in 2018. Forget waiting for that.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times
I hope they updated Columbia's flood maps.
We faired far better during the "1000" flood then they did.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The actual house, no. With the existing maps the space occupied by the house is AE but the house is not since it's on a crawlspace. This would push the whole structure out of it, except possibly for where I want to add a pool.

Makes sense though, the place didn't flood for Gracie, Hugo or the big rains last fall. I'm going to recompete car and home insurance anyway once the new maps are in effect. It'll be fun. edit: Unless the new maps go into effect in 2018. Forget waiting for that.
As I understand it, the elevation of the house has no bearing on whether the property is in a flood zone. If it's designated A or V, it's in a flood zone. The E stands for "elevation" and that refers to the "Base Flood Elevation" which is a height determined by some esoteric FEMA process. So typically you'll have the AE followed by a number which refers to the BFE. In the case of my own house, it's AE11. However, since I'm up on a bluff and my house is on a crawlspace, the lowest finished floor is still above the BFE so while the bank requires me to have flood insurance, it costs less than $300 per year.

From what you've said, I'm guessing that your house is currently in an AE zone and that the finished floor elevation is above the BFE so that flood insurance was probably relatively inexpensive but still required by the mortgage co. With the new maps, if your property is no longer in an AE zone, then you would be able to cancel the flood insurance altogether as far as the mortgage company is concerned.

In short, the flood zone designation refers to the lot regardless of any structures on it. Hope that makes sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area