Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 AM

417 posts, read 434,123 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am considering a move to West Ashley, North bridge Terrace, Orange Grove Road area. Being close to the sea, I wondered about how well that place did with the hurricane etc. If I recall correctly, we even had a tornado arning last year which did not actually happen.
How would it be in that area with respect to weather conditions being close to the sea.

I love that area but feel concerned about the weather-related safety issues , especially due to expecting a new born in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 AM

21 posts, read 26,913 times
The right hurricane will have the Orange Grove area along with many other areas under water. The National Hurricane Center just redrew the Storm Surge Maps and posted them this week. Your insurance company quotes your rates based on these maps.

From a computer go here and look and play with the map and see the risk of certain areas. http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...935fad&entry=1

Old 01-23-2017, 10:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,806,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
Hello

I am considering a move to West Ashley, North bridge Terrace, Orange Grove Road area. Being close to the sea, I wondered about how well that place did with the hurricane etc. If I recall correctly, we even had a tornado arning last year which did not actually happen.
How would it be in that area with respect to weather conditions being close to the sea.

I love that area but feel concerned about the weather-related safety issues , especially due to expecting a new born in the summer.
I live there. Neither Gracie, Hugo nor Matthew flooded Northbridge Terrace or the Orange Grove area. The only thing that was an issue were tree branches taking out power lines or falling on things. Power was out for maybe 8 hours then things were back to normal. The draft version of the FEMA flood maps also reduce the size of the 100 year floodplain for that area.

If you're talking about a hurricane that would put that area underwater, you're talking about widespread total destruction of the entire Charleston metro.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:33 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,611,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I live there. Neither Gracie, Hugo nor Matthew flooded Northbridge Terrace or the Orange Grove area. The only thing that was an issue were tree branches taking out power lines or falling on things. Power was out for maybe 8 hours then things were back to normal. The draft version of the FEMA flood maps also reduce the size of the 100 year floodplain for that area.

If you're talking about a hurricane that would put that area underwater, you're talking about widespread total destruction of the entire Charleston metro.
+1
Northbridge Terrace is as good as any place in the Charleston area for hurricane/tornado safety. That doesn't mean a disaster couldn't happen but it's one of the safer places in Charleston on that count. I put a lot more faith in the flooding history of an area/neighborhood that I do in the FEMA maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area