Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Wiseman, Old Village?...no way, no how! You know better than that.
Didn't see the acreage part of the posting lol. You may find some lots that big out in Raven's Run or some of the older sections of Mt Pleasant, but 1 acre is tough to come by in Charleston.

Don't laugh but I'd actually suggest looking at Goat Island. Quirky choice but hey.

Another up and coming area I love is Poplar Grove in West Ashley (Hollywood?) off of Rantowles Creek. Some beautiful homesites in there for customer builds. I have a cousin who lives in there and so I visit it quite often, some of the marsh view lots are outstanding. Equestrian amenities too.

John's Island, Wadmalaw Island, Meggett all have acreage available still but less of the neighborhood feel. You might also want to look in the Plantation District along the Ashley River off of Hwy 61.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 38,736 times
Responding to all that weighed-in. And thank you all for some wonderful options to explore. I could probably get by with a half acre if it's flat and situated right. Reason is I plan or would like to build a detached garage. I'm a car enthusiast with a need to store and work on cars. This is also the reason I would prefer no HOA. To many militant HOA's out there and one never reallu knows how strict and a pita they'll be till you experience them. Also, I have a very hard time with people who don't pay my mortgage and taxes telling me what color I can paint my shutters, when I need to take the garbage can in, how long the lawn needs to be, etc. Moving from the worst state (NJ), and seeking America.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,071 times
With that explanation, ro07002, Awendaw is the answer!

Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
You'll almost always have an HOA anytime there is common property in the neighborhood.

The reason why they get to decide what color you paint your home and how tall your grass is due to a common understanding that those living in the community will abide by a mutually agreed upon standard for their homes. No one wants to move into an expensive neighborhood to have their neighbor decide out of the blue that half buried tires painted white are a good driveway edging or park their cars all over their front yard. The choices you make on your property doesn't always effect just you.

Also understand that visiting Charleston is different than living here.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:35 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob07002 View Post
Responding to all that weighed-in. And thank you all for some wonderful options to explore. I could probably get by with a half acre if it's flat and situated right. Reason is I plan or would like to build a detached garage. I'm a car enthusiast with a need to store and work on cars. This is also the reason I would prefer no HOA. To many militant HOA's out there and one never reallu knows how strict and a pita they'll be till you experience them. Also, I have a very hard time with people who don't pay my mortgage and taxes telling me what color I can paint my shutters, when I need to take the garbage can in, how long the lawn needs to be, etc. Moving from the worst state (NJ), and seeking America.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but having an autoshop, long grass, garbage can on the curb all week, and oddly painted shutters doesn’t sound like it would be in an affluent neighborhood at all. It may be easier if you drop the affluence requirement.

Just going by budget, property size, and good schools sounds like Awendaw is your answer.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:50 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Quote:
I understood the intent of this. It usually isn't the HOA that's annoying, but that one militant neighbor that insists that everything be done by the extreme letter of the by-laws.

I think getting just outside of MtP is your best bet. You think at all about just building what you need? Some land available in what is technically Awendaw, but you could get your kids into Wando High School.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,213,681 times
And you could eat fantastic rustic(fried) low country seafood at Sewee almost every day!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
I know there's a lot on here that say Awendaw is your answer, and there are good sized lots available in that area, some with marsh views etc. Affluent neighborhood, ehh, it's not really neighborhoods there, more like clusters of homes. Bull's Bay Golf Club is just north of Awendaw and is an affluent neighborhood but pretty strict on rules/regulations.

There are currently 250 lots on our MLS priced over $250k over 1 acre large with no HOA's so we have land available to you. For the affluent neighborhood part, we have that too, most affluent neighborhoods have HOA's though and so this could be a conflict to you in that regards. Other areas without HOA's still have city ordinances/rules to abide by, such as Sullivan's Island, which is very affluent (1,770,000 median home price) but still restricts when you can put out your garbage, how you rent your home etc..

I would recommend these areas be on your list:

Chisolm Road on John's Island 29455
River Road John's Island 29455
Bohicket Road John's Island 29455
Stono Ferry Subdivision (HOA but large lots and not too strict on the rules)

Hamlin Road in Mt Pleasant (the Hamlins subdivison) 29466

Poplar Grove and the Rantowles Creek area of West Ashley 29470
Edgewater Park in 29407 West Ashley
Isle De Numours (sp?) in 29407 West Ashley
There's 3 lots on the water on Capri Isle (next to Edgewater park) that are really beautiful not more than .5 acres though if I remember correctly 29407
also check out Byrnes Down and Avondale area, there's a few large lots still hitting the market 29407

Riverland Terrace area of James Island 29412
Secessionville area of James Island 29412
Ft Johnson estates on James Island 29412

Beautiful lots in Hollywood and Meggett townships (spread out not very neighborhoody)

McClellanville and Awendaw 29429

Up the Wando River you have Wando/Cainhoy and there's plenty of acreage out that way too. 29492

Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Awendaw address, Wando High School. It has an HOA, but gives you the space you need.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-04136?view=qv

Old 02-13-2019, 07:37 AM

29 posts, read 38,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don’t take this the wrong way, but having an autoshop, long grass, garbage can on the curb all week, and oddly painted shutters doesn’t sound like it would be in an affluent neighborhood at all. It may be easier if you drop the affluence requirement.

Just going by budget, property size, and good schools sounds like Awendaw is your answer.
Not looking to build an auto shop or rainbow shutters. I too wouldn't want my neighbor to keep his property unkept or otherwise a stand out in the wrong way. I have experienced however and seen HOA's with board members with nothing better to do and run the HOA like the a dictatorship and that would not sit well with me. Not being able to build a detached garage in conformity with city zoning and build laws/codes and in-line with the style of existing structures or install an in-ground pool because someone on the board decides no, is a deal killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area