Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,252 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm brand new to this forum. My husband & I will be coming down to Summerville for Memorial Weekend. Have heard so many good things about Summerville, we want to check it out to see if it's someplace we'd like to retire to. We arrive on Sat. On Sun. we plan on going to church in the morning then the rest of the weekend is open. Was wondering if the town has a parade for the holiday? What other things would you suggest we do, in order for us to get a feel of the town? Also, there seems to be many "subdivisions" in Summerville. Not used to that up north. What's the difference in the subdivisions? Thank you for any information you give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:45 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,269 times
We'd love to have you and hopefully Summerville will turn out to be the community you are looking for! To answer your questions...
To my knowledge there is not a parade in Summerville that weekend, but I could be wrong. Have you checked out events going on with Piccolo Spoleto? It starts May 23rd. I know they are having a Memorial Day Concert in Marion Square. That is Charleston, but you could stay in Summerville and go in for the concert...Most Summervillians journey into Charleston for the "city events." Summerville does have it's own events that happen and the best place to stay up on them is at the Summerville DREAM website. I didn't see anything for Memorial Day though.
I would say for your weekend, make sure you get to the town square, have some ice cream, go to lunch at Mustard Seed or one of the restaurants in the downtown area...Drive down Sumter Avenue to see some gorgeous old historic homes. West Carolina Avenue is also a great one. I'm not sure what church you wanted to find, but there a number of them right in the downtown/historic district of Summerville...
Episcopal, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, all within a five block radius of each other and the downtown area.
As far as Subdivisions...Summerville is mostly mapped out according to developments or subdivisions as they are often called here. Some are older, many are newer. I'm not sure what type of home you are looking for, if you want a 55+ community,and what type of price range...that would help us to tell you what subdivisions to drive through.
If you can share a few more details, I have suggestions!
Hope this helps,
Foster

Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,252 times
Foster, Thank you for that additional information. I actually spoke with you last week. You've been sending me listings
Please do tell me which subdivisions we should drive through. Although we are over 50 (or in my case, close to it) we do not want a +55 community. We're looking for a middle class to upper middle class neighborhood. Not too far from historic downtown. Would like to be in a good school district. Also, coming from Long Island, we want an area that's not too congested with traffic. Thanks again, Elisa

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,269 times
I sent you a direct message!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area